How are the dancing venues

pmacher61

I am contemplating a TA next spring and have to choose between Crystal and Seabourn. I have sailed once before on each line.

My concern is that there will be more opportunity for dancing aboard the larger Crystal ship than there will be aboard the Quest. Can someone advise me about the dancing venues/opportunities aboard the Quest? When, where, how long, style, etc.

I am contemplating a TA next spring and have to choose between Crystal and Seabourn. I have sailed once before on each line.

My concern is that there will be more opportunity for dancing aboard the larger Crystal ship than there will be aboard the Quest. Can someone advise me about the dancing venues/opportunities aboard the Quest? When, where, how long, style, etc.

Two totally different cruise experiences and sizes of ship.

You can dance on both lines.

Seabourn is smaller and more intimate than Crystal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for replying so quickly. I am aware of the difference in size, but that is not the focus of my inquiry except as it might relate to whether there is a lot more dancing opportunity aboard the larger ship. However, if there are decent dancing venues/opportunities aboard the Quest I would opt for it, ceteris paribus.

Have been both on Crystal and Seabourn and we love to dance. On Crystal the dancing was either early (5:15) or late (8:30) Felt the dancing there was mostly the hosts and single woman.

On Seabourn the Club (deck 5) always has either a great combo or trio with at least one singer and they will do music you request. The other lounge has a piano player and is not for dancing. The club is intimate and comfortable and they play music before and after dinner.

LOVE SEABOURN!!!

When we were on SB [sojourn] in August '14 there was only a guitarist in The

Club until the band w singer appeared after the show, about 11pm. Thus dancing pre 11pm was at a minimum. This is SB's only dance venue. The floor size is moderate and accommodates all who wish to dance. The Filipino combos and singers used to be terrific but are no longer contracted by SB.

Crystal has Palm Court as well as a large lounge both of which offer dancing at different times and with different musical groups. The pre cocktail times posted above usually are held in Palm Court. At these times there is a strong presence of dance hosts and single cruisers but the floor is large and inviting so others also dance. There is a disco late in the evening but I never attend this.

Paula,

The Filipino bands are still on the little ships. It will be a shame if Seabourn does not bring them to the big ships next spring with the little ships go away but as of not that does not appear to be in the cards.

When we were on SB [sojourn] in August '14 there was only a guitarist in The

Club until the band w singer appeared after the show, about 11pm. Thus dancing pre 11pm was at a minimum. This is SB's only dance venue. The floor size is moderate and accommodates all who wish to dance. The Filipino combos and singers used to be terrific but are no longer contracted by SB.

Crystal has Palm Court as well as a large lounge both of which offer dancing at different times and with different musical groups. The pre cocktail times posted above usually are held in Palm Court. At these times there is a strong presence of dance hosts and single cruisers but the floor is large and inviting so others also dance. There is a disco late in the evening but I never attend this.

Don't forget the deck party rock the boat show is always a good dance opportunity.

I found Crystal to be single older ladies and dance hosts in the Palm Court.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Rock The Boat party is always a good time...and in warm climes SB sometimes offers another evening of on deck music/dancing. I don't think that it has a name but it is coupled w desserts. However, we did find The Club discouragingly dull [for us] this last cruise.

We have spent many an evening dancing on Crystal...wherever the sextet was playing. I do agree that sometimes the pre dinner sessions tilt towards dance hosts and single ladies but I have seen others also dancing...the floor is generous and our OP likes to dance.

I,too, would love to see the Filipino bands return. They were great...but SB apparently has made a rule that the band members must be able to read music to accompany the guest performers & that leaves out many of the Filipino bands.

We enjoy going to the club on deck 5 and dancing after dinner and the show but I agree the Phillipino bands need to cross over to the big ships. Every small ship cruise they have been great and the dance floor is normally busy. The larger ships follow a different model and consequently the dancing at the club is a bit lacking.

It would be great if Seabourn accepted that most (if not all) pax who go to The Club prefer the Filipino bands. They provide greater variety, are extremely competent in all genres and have great personalities - the latter often lacking in "The Band"s that have replaced them on the larger ships. They have the advantage of also being Che's e and not just a group of musicians etc put together for the period of a contract.

Crystal offers dancing themed cruises and cruises with Big Band music. Crystal offers, overall, more dancing, including larger dance floors, more varied music ensembles, and dance lessons. On Seabourn you may often find yourselves the only dancing couple but on Crystal you will rarely, if ever, be the only ones on the floor.

Crystal offers dancing themed cruises and cruises with Big Band music. Crystal offers, overall, more dancing, including larger dance floors, more varied music ensembles, and dance lessons. On Seabourn you may often find yourselves the only dancing couple but on Crystal you will rarely, if ever, be the only ones on the floor.[/QUOTE]

I do agree with your comments that Crystal offers themed dance and big band cruises which if you are a dancer would be great. Also some of their Holiday cruises would also be busy on the dance floor.

We must have been on a rare Crystal cruise. On the 19 day cruise Crystal cruise we were on two years ago (the same one as Mr Luxury) we found it fairly empty on the dance floor in Palm Court. The most we saw were three other couples. Because it is such a big area it felt intimidating as we are not very good dancers when it comes to ballroom dancing and it felt awkward trying to dance in a more modern style. We didn't dance very much.

I think it can still be dependent on the particular Seabourn cruises as on some the dancing at the Club is very busy and other cruises hardly anyone. Though I do agree with others that I wish the Phillipino bands plus the singers like Speedy and Christina could be transferred to the larger ships. They certainly add more to the atmosphere in the Club.

Edited by frantic36

I think it can still be dependent on the particular Seabourn cruises as on some the dancing at the Club is very busy and other cruises hardly anyone. Though I do agree with others that I wish the Phillipino bands plus the singers like Speedy and Christina could be transferred to the larger ships. They certainly add more to the atmosphere in the Club.

Agree fully. I feel like the cast and cruise directors try to keep the part going on cruises where the passenger mix seems receptive to it.

• 4 months later...
Found this thread by using the search function.

It is from last year. Does any know if the Phillipino band will be on the Legend next week?

Hope so.

Yes they should be.

Your guess is correct 2014 was last year.

Errrm, it doesn't seem that LongTimeTvlr said anything about guessing anything. I'm sure it was not your intention, but your response comes over as a little snide. Which detracts from the valuable information you have provided! :)

Errrm, it doesn't seem that LongTimeTvlr said anything about guessing anything. I'm sure it was not your intention, but your response comes over as a little snide. Which detracts from the valuable information you have provided! :)

Is it from last year they asked

Yes it was and they had guessed correctly.

Both questions answered in one post.

Happy to help

Next question please.

Edited by Mr Luxury

Happy to help

Next question please.

Well it is showing 'it is from last year' - a statement, and not 'is it from last year' which is a question. I just think it's not helpful anyway if people pick up on little things, it just seems snarky on what is a really friendly and helpful forum.

Edited by CraftyEC

Happy to help

Next question please.

A quick re-read will reveal their original comment was a statement about it being from last year not a question. The OP states "it is" not "is it"

I haven't sailed Crystal, but I do enjoy a lively music venue and unfortunately I think dancing on the big Seabourn ships is really lacking unless one is a very late night owl. The band is typically tied up with playing the accompaniment to the shows, so they don't make it to the Club till 11ish. The shows are very ho hum and as others have said the only music in the club is a guitarist. While the guitarist is nice it really isn't super lively.

I haven't sailed Crystal, but I do enjoy a lively music venue and unfortunately I think dancing on the big Seabourn ships is really lacking unless one is a very late night owl. The band is typically tied up with playing the accompaniment to the shows, so they don't make it to the Club till 11ish. The shows are very ho hum and as others have said the only music in the club is a guitarist. While the guitarist is nice it really isn't super lively.

You are right in what you say but my one experience of Crystal in the evenings was so quiet that I thought I was on the Mary Celeste

Agree with Mr Luxury, the dancing and any nightlife was distinctly lacking on our Crystal summer cruise.

In fact after dinner there was very little happening. The only dancing we saw was in palm court, with the gentleman hosts.

The exact same experience.

On some evenings the dance hosts outnumbered the guests