Cuba Veendam

djhsolara

We just got a new cruise flyer. Does anybody know why all the Cuba cruises are on Veendam? We'd love to go to Cuba but I really have no desire to travel on Veendam.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just returned from sailing Veendam and aside from the horrid mess Retreat is, the ship was in good shape. My cabin was in good shape everything worked as expected and she is manned by a wonderful crew. I had great cabin and dining stewards. and fully enjoyed the staff in Ocean Bar. :) I would not hesitate to sail her again.

I just returned from sailing Veendam and aside from the horrid mess Retreat is, the ship was in good shape. My cabin was in good shape everything worked as expected and she is manned by a wonderful crew. I had great cabin and dining stewards. and fully enjoyed the staff in Ocean Bar. :) I would not hesitate to sail her again.

I am back on her in December after 20 years. I am really going to miss the sea view pool.

I am going to notice so many changes that I wonder if I have made a wise choice.

• 3 weeks later...

My speculation: probably some combo of Havana and Cienfuegos not having facilities to accommodate larger ships, smaller capacity means better chance of filling the ship, and the novelty of being able to cruise to Cuba may well get people to look past their aversion to Veendam, which seems to be the most maligned ship in the HAL fleet. There has been plenty of conversation on this board about the perceived good and bad of Veendam and that definitely made me somewhat reluctant to cruise on her. But I agree with Sail7Seas, I was just on Veendam in May and she's in pretty good shape and the staff was great. If you want modern luxury, go elsewhere, but I too would sail her again and in fact we booked another cruise on her while on board, although unfortunately that got cancelled on us a few days ago for more visits to Cuba.

My speculation: probably some combo of Havana and Cienfuegos not having facilities to accommodate larger ships, smaller capacity means better chance of filling the ship, and the novelty of being able to cruise to Cuba may well get people to look past their aversion to Veendam, which seems to be the most maligned ship in the HAL fleet. There has been plenty of conversation on this board about the perceived good and bad of Veendam and that definitely made me somewhat reluctant to cruise on her. But I agree with Sail7Seas, I was just on Veendam in May and she's in pretty good shape and the staff was great. If you want modern luxury, go elsewhere, but I too would sail her again and in fact we booked another cruise on her while on board, although unfortunately that got cancelled on us a few days ago for more visits to Cuba.

(bold is mine) I was wondering why they put a ship with only one pool on a hot climate cruise. I know they need to use a smaller ship, but why not use Maasdam, which does have 2 pools. I think your comment is a good explanation. It's also possible Veendam wasn't selling as well as Maasdam, so it was easier to disrupt a smaller number of passengers with the changes.

My husband and I are looking into cruising to Cuba in Dec of this year. The itinerary is good but concerned about the ship, the veendam. Does anyone have any input?

If you mention your concerns, that might help. us help you. I made comment about Veendam earlier in this tthread.

(bold is mine) I was wondering why they put a ship with only one pool on a hot climate cruise. I know they need to use a smaller ship, but why not use Maasdam, which does have 2 pools. I think your comment is a good explanation. It's also possible Veendam wasn't selling as well as Maasdam, so it was easier to disrupt a smaller number of passengers with the changes.

I might be very wrong and surely there will be many here who will promptly corrrect my mistake.. :D When Noordam III was old, and hard for HAL to fill, they gave her wonderful itineraries. When they c ould not get lots of bookings on a ship some complained about heavily , they gave her wonderful itineraries and sold cab ains. Maybe that is a factor for Veendam being deployed for the Cuba cruises? I came very close to booking one yesterday but for my personal reasons changed my mind at the last moment.

Most cruise lines are sending one ship only to Cuba, and all of them appear to be older, smaller ships. Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Which lines other than NCL are sending ships, from US. ports to Cuba? Which 'small' ships are going?

Thanks for any info

Thanks for any info.

Carnival - Paradise

Royal Caribbean - Empress, and Majesty starting in 2019 (both ships are the oldest in the fleet - in fact they just bought the Empress back before sending her on the Cuba runs)

There are also other cruise lines that go to Cuba, but they are not as mainstream. See article below.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2703

Which lines other than NCL are sending ships, from US. ports to Cuba? Which 'small' ships are going?

Thanks for any info

Oceania Sirena is doing 7 day cruises around Cuba and almost all the cruises are sold out.

The vessel entered operation in 1999 under the flag of Renaissance Cruises. The ship was not owned by the company; instead she was owned by a group of French investors. When Renaissance declared bankruptcy in 2001, the ship was seized by creditors, along with the other seven vessels in the fleet.

In 2002, Princess Cruises secured a two-year lease for R Four and her sister ship R Three (now Pacific Princess). The vessel entered operation at the end of 2002, and was renamed Tahitian Princess. At the end of the lease, Princess Cruises purchased both vessels.

250px-Ocean_Princess_departing_Tallinn_23_June_2013.JPG

Sirena As Ocean Princess, departing Tallinn, Estonia, 23 June 2013.

In November 2009 the Tahitian Princess was renamed Ocean Princess to "reflect a more global theme."[4]

It was announced on November 25, 2014, that the ship is to be sold to Oceania Cruises under a definitive agreement. The ship was sold for 82.000.000 $.[5] She departed the Princess fleet in March 2016 and underwent a 35-day, $40 million refurbishment in Marseille, France to become Sirena.[6] [7] On April 27, 2016, The Sirena was christened and entered service for Oceana Cruises.[8]

Oceania Sirena ...entered operation in 1999 under the flag of Renaissance Cruises. When Renaissance declared bankruptcy in 2001, the ship was seized by creditors, along with the other seven vessels in the fleet.

Azamara sails two of the ships - Quest and Journey.

Been on two cruises on the Quest - love the ship!

Carnival - Paradise

Royal Caribbean - Empress, and Majesty starting in 2019 (both ships are the oldest in the fleet - in fact they just bought the Empress back before sending her on the Cuba runs)

There are also other cruise lines that go to Cuba, but they are not as mainstream. See article below.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2703

Thanks. Paaradise might be as old or older than Veendam? :) I just checked. Paradise was christened in 1998

Thanks, Jade, re: Azamara.

Edited by sail7seas

Same comment could be made about Veendam's runs to Bermuda. Having spent 15 days on Veendam in April/May, I will offer the opinion that the one pool on Veendam is likely as much "Pool water" (or nearly so) as the two pools on Koningsdam.

We truly enjoyed our time on Veendam. Service was superb across the board. Would like to do a Bermuda cruise on her next year but now with fewer to choose from I'm not sure the timing will work out. I have no interest at all in a Cuba / Caribbean cruise in summer from Boston (but see how it could appeal to some).

sail7seas

Another option from the list to at least look at is Pearl Seas Cruises, a 200 passenger ship. I went with them to Cuba this spring and had a WONDERFUL experience. I went with a group of 8 from where we live. It was fun having traveling "friends" , but I would have enjoyed it every bit as much if I sailed alone (well - maybe not the single cost). In terms of the ship (cabins, crew, entertainment, public space) I would place it somewhere between HAL and Expedition ships. If you would like more of my thoughts - let me know.

One thing I would like to clarify from the CC summary in the link, there was only one sea day ONCE we got to Havana. In fact of the 10 days 4 were are sea. One full day to get to Havana from FLL, one mid cruise, and two to get from our last port in Cuba back to FLL.

sail7seas

Another option from the list to at least look at is Pearl Seas Cruises, a 200 passenger ship. I went with them to Cuba this spring and had a WONDERFUL experience. I went with a group of 8 from where we live. It was fun having traveling "friends" , but I would have enjoyed it every bit as much if I sailed alone (well - maybe not the single cost). In terms of the ship (cabins, crew, entertainment, public space) I would place it somewhere between HAL and Expedition ships. If you would like more of my thoughts - let me know.

One thing I would like to clarify from the CC summary in the link, there was only one sea day ONCE we got to Havana. In fact of the 10 days 4 were are sea. One full day to get to Havana from FLL, one mid cruise, and two to get from our last port in Cuba back to FLL.

Wander. Thanks for this info. So happy you had such a wonderful time.

If I decide to sail to Cuba, I surely will sail Veendam as she will embark in Boston and disembark in Boston. How wonderful to not have to fly to and from FLL or fly anywhere for that matter. :). I have some niggling concerns ab out taking that cruise and that is holding me back.

Could you share a little more about the Retreat? On our last few cruises we have purchased the weekly pass and enjoyed our time but those were on Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam and Koningsdam. What is the Retreat actually like on the smaller ships. Thanks for your insight.

St. Louis Sal

NCL is also sending Sun and Sky to Cuba. These sisters are a bit larger than the HAL R class. (In between an R class and Vista) So HAL could send an R ship there if they wanted to ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Could you share a little more about the Retreat? On our last few cruises we have purchased the weekly pass and enjoyed our time but those were on Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam and Koningsdam. What is the Retreat actually like on the smaller ships. Thanks for your insight.

What HAL termed "The Retreat" on the Veendam is nothing at all like the version with the same name that is on the newer ships.

There have been two different incarnations of the Retreat on the Veendam, and neither of them has been a worthwhile change, imo.

The aft Lido Deck was built up, and it now has a large area with four hot tubs in them. The area takes up a lot of what would be sitting area, and it blocks the view of the sea from the remaining area.

St. Louis Sal

Veendam Retreat Pool #1 - Did not work/water kept slushing out and making its way on an unauthorized private tour of the ship incl. the aft elevator shafts who were not amused

retreat01.4s150tt8.jpg

Veendam Retreat Pool #2 with three Jacuzzis instead of the aforementioned poolette - H2O mo better controlled and placed on permanent restriction

Veendam-3874-56a203f05f9b58b7d0c5beae.JPG