Will There Be Independent Tour Operators Waiting at Hawaiian Ports?

mlbcruiser

Almost always we have found independent tours offered by vendors or tour guides themselves at cruise ports that were easily booked coming right off of a ship. Often there is more variety than what is offered on a ship's excursion, or one can work something out with a driver. Can anyone tell me if this is commonly the case at the various Hawaiian cruise ship ports?

We have stayed on all but one of the islands our cruise will visit and on a couple of the islands will have some idea of places we'd like to go back to for a bit, or maybe combine a couple of sights yet manage to avoid stopping with a large group at locations we aren't really interested in.

Thanks for any helpful information.

Almost always we have found independent tours offered by vendors or tour guides themselves at cruise ports that were easily booked coming right off of a ship. Often there is more variety than what is offered on a ship's excursion, or one can work something out with a driver. Can anyone tell me if this is commonly the case at the various Hawaiian cruise ship ports.

At least here on Maui there is no soliciting allowed around the pedestrian entrance to the port area. It would be best to arrange your tours in advance.

Since they are USA ports, I don’t think they are allowed.

I can’t recall seeing any on our Hawaiian cruises

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh? No law against this as far as I know...it happens in Alaska.

I think in Hawaii there isn't a huge supply of tour operators left after normally, daily, non-ship tourist business, then have 2-3000 people arrive on a cruise ship.

need2cruisesoon, that is the type of thing I had in mind, but wasn't sure if there would be any available nearby the port. If anyone knows for certain if finding this type of driver/transportation is absolutely available upon departing the docking area, please post!

We have spent a week on 3 of the 4 islands we'll be visiting and my hope was to keep our options open. Perhaps we'll just want to revisit a place, or won't want to decide until arriving and seeing what the sea conditions might be, or what we feel like doing that particular day. Often we have learned about something while on the ship from people we just met, for instance, which might cause us to wish we hadn't already booked something else. While we like the freedom to go where we want on our own time schedule and can do that by renting a car, sometimes, in some ports, not sure we want to mess with the hassle of getting to the rental facility, dropping the car off and so on. However, it's likely we'll wind up doing that.

Thanks for the replies.

I believe what was meant by rent a van was rent a vehicle you drive yourself. Not hiring a driver to take you around in a van.

There are absolutely no vendors like this in Hawaii. I think any reasons as to why are guesses but mine would be we rarely have ships in town, and even more rarely more than one at a time with both ships in different places even when they pull in to Honolulu, not one Pier area with a common spot for vendors to even set up like in many cruise destinations. It's just not a lucrative business model for small tour operators nor is there anywhere for them to set up.

However in most ports car rental facilities are fairly easy to get to and from so the hassle to rent is minimal. It is likely your only option if you want to play it by ear, and I think would make you the most happy.

~Katy

Sent from my XT1030 using Forums mobile app

If anyone knows for certain if finding this type of driver/transportation is absolutely available upon departing the docking area, please post!

We have to agree with kgymn that the idea was you rent a van and you drive yourself. Hawaii is not your usual set of islands, and there is nothing like what you are looking for unless you reserve ahead or do it on your own (the latter idea being quite popular and cost-effective here). On Maui, for instance, there is nothing like this for visitors even anywhere near the port (Kahului) area, which is a commercial area not geared for tourists.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

Huh? No law against this as far as I know...it happens in Alaska.

I think in Hawaii there isn't a huge supply of tour operators left after normally, daily, non-ship tourist business, then have 2-3000 people arrive on a cruise ship.

Yeah

Sorry

It’s just I’m not used to the lack of hounding and cat calls when in USA ports.

Almost stopped cruising because of how annoying some ports can be.

You are right, Alaska hounds you like Mexico and the Caribbean do. I had just forgotten, it’s been 12 (?) Years since our last Alaska cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...