How as a result of the latest increase do you intend to tip on their next P&O Cruise?

kalos

As a result of the latest increase, How will you tip on your next P&O Cruise ?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. As a result of the latest increase, How will you tip on your next P&O Cruise ?

• YES I will pay the new auto service charge
    • NO I will not pay the new service charge
    • Prefer to pay in person without the new service charge
    • Prefer to pay the staff in person as well as the new service charge
    • I may reduce the new auto service to what I deem to be fair

As always the subject of gratuities always commands an enormous response. Some have posted that it probably makes no difference in the end to the pay of cabin stewards etc whilst others seem to feel that the crew are being taken for granted and destined to a life of destitution if one doesn't pay the gratuities.

Who knows what the truth is? We have spoken to many a cabin steward over the past 7 years and, yes, they work dammed hard but in the most they are happy to do it. True they naturally miss their home and families but, for most, it's a means to and end. After finishing on the cruise lines they say they can return home with enough money to perhaps set up a business and provide a better standard of living for their families than if they had stayed at home. How much of this comes from basic pay and how much from gratuities they are always reluctant to say - perhaps not allowed to.

If It could be proved that large sections of the crew aboard a P&O ship were being exploited then I would need to think again.

Otherwise do away with auto gratuities and charge a price for a given cabin that is fair to both passengers and crew alike.

With their cut of the tipping pool they do.:pYes I know how hard it is to get a job on the ships, staff tell me, long lines outside the agencies in places like Mumbai and Manilla. So if the cruise lines paid the staff award wages, i.e. in OZ minimum wage is $20 an hour and what is it in UK 10 quid an hour? Then the cruise fares would have to triple, because no way Carnival Corporation is going to pay their staff all their wages from the Carnival coffers, it is 'user pay - auto tips/service charges.'

Many people forget that P&O UK is owned by an American corporation, Carnival, they call the shots and do the bean counting.

The minimum wage in the UK is £7.50 an hour for people over the age of 25

Many people forget that P&O UK is owned by an American corporation, Carnival, they call the shots and do the bean counting.

You are overlooking 'Carnival' is comprised of two companies operating as one, the American Carnival Corporation and the British Carnival plc, and it is dual listed in New York and London.

The minimum wage in the UK is £7.50 an hour for people over the age of 25

Although there are adjustments if accommodation is provided.