Should go for whale watching in Juneau again if already go to Kenai fjords?

jaitip

I plan to go to Kenai fjords tour first, do you guys think that I should book whale watching tour in Juneau? Is it the same? I mean see the same things.

I have no plan in Juneau yet, but most recommended tours in Juneau is Whale watching. I hesitate.

Actually i want to go for dog sledding but my mother might not be able to get in the helicopter and walk on ice.

Thank you in advance

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Kenai Fjords is not known for having a lot of whales .You are more likely to see seals, sea lions, and otters. I would definitely book a whale watching excursion in Juneau - it's one of the best places in the world to watch humpback whales.

If you want to see whales, book in Juneau. You may see whales in Kenai Fjords (I did both trips), but that is not the primary focus of the tour. I recommend both, but they are 2 entirely different tours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Kenai Fjords is not known for having a lot of whales .You are more likely to see seals, sea lions, and otters. I would definitely book a whale watching excursion in Juneau - it's one of the best places in the world to watch humpback whales.

Thank you. Seem nice for both

If you want to see whales, book in Juneau. You may see whales in Kenai Fjords (I did both trips), but that is not the primary focus of the tour. I recommend both, but they are 2 entirely different tours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well thank you. I will make decision again. Seem nice for both that you have both trips. I love Orca so i should book whale watching in Juneau too.

Well thank you. I will make decision again. Seem nice for both that you have both trips. I love Orca so i should book whale watching in Juneau too.

I have been whale watching in Juneau many times and have seen Orcas only once. Lots of humpback whales. though.

I have been whale watching in Juneau many times and have seen Orcas only once. Lots of humpback whales. though.

Oh really? Sad then. I love orcas as i am impresses with the movie “ free willy”

There have been posts that say that whale watching trips out of Vancouver are good for seeing orcas. Out of Juneau, we saw humpbacks.

In May, Major Marine has Orca Quest tours out of Seward. There are transient Orca pods around then in addition to the resident Orca pods so a better chance of finding Orcas around Seward then.

Oh really? Sad then. I love orcas as i am impresses with the movie “ free willy”

There have been posts that say that whale watching trips out of Vancouver are good for seeing orcas. Out of Juneau, we saw humpbacks.

In May, Major Marine has Orca Quest tours out of Seward. There are transient Orca pods around then in addition to the resident Orca pods so a better chance of finding Orcas around Seward then.

I think you had mentioned cruising in May jaitip, so the Major Marine Orca Quest could work for you - but if you're doing a land/sea combo you will also be starting or finishing in Vancouver. Orcas are the most common 'whale' spotted here (they're actually big dolphins, but that 'killer whale' name stuck). We have resident pods of salmon-eating Orcas that hang around the area, so from April to October you'll be offered a guarantee by all the whalewatch operators - no whale, a free trip for life until you do see one!

Unless you're in town a few days - or come back again - the guarantee may be hard to claim. Orcas are fast and cover a lot of territory, so we never get 100% sighting rates here - but over the whole season most companies can claim 95%. If they're too far away to reach and return to port though, there's nothing to be done - which is why if you have only one chance to go I recommend Wild Whales. Unlike all other providers they have no fixed tour length (usually 3 hours) or multiple trips, they only use their boats once per day - so they will stay out up to 7 hours if they have to. They also depart from in Vancouver itself, so are more convenient to get to than the other companies out in Richmond who charge extra for a shuttle bus to the pier.

We did a Kenai Fjords tour in August a couple of years ago. On that trip we saw one humpback whale and a super pod of orca who had come together. Three years previously, we did the same trip and didn't see either. If whales are a must see, then I would recommend doing both.

Thank you^^

I think you had mentioned cruising in May jaitip, so the Major Marine Orca Quest could work for you - but if you're doing a land/sea combo you will also be starting or finishing in Vancouver. Orcas are the most common 'whale' spotted here (they're actually big dolphins, but that 'killer whale' name stuck). We have resident pods of salmon-eating Orcas that hang around the area, so from April to October you'll be offered a guarantee by all the whalewatch operators - no whale, a free trip for life until you do see one!

Unless you're in town a few days - or come back again - the guarantee may be hard to claim. Orcas are fast and cover a lot of territory, so we never get 100% sighting rates here - but over the whole season most companies can claim 95%. If they're too far away to reach and return to port though, there's nothing to be done - which is why if you have only one chance to go I recommend Wild Whales. Unlike all other providers they have no fixed tour length (usually 3 hours) or multiple trips, they only use their boats once per day - so they will stay out up to 7 hours if they have to. They also depart from in Vancouver itself, so are more convenient to get to than the other companies out in Richmond who charge extra for a shuttle bus to the pier.

Oh thank you

Yes i do land&sea tour .. ending in Vancouver. I will spend 3days there.

I see lots of orcas tour in Vancouver as well.

I have to organize my time.

Thank you for your help.

We did a Kenai Fjords tour in August a couple of years ago. On that trip we saw one humpback whale and a super pod of orca who had come together. Three years previously, we did the same trip and didn't see either. If whales are a must see, then I would recommend doing both.

Well if i don’t see them i still have chance in Juneau and Vancouver.

Thank you^^