NCL Pearl vs. NCL Bliss

dinkydee718

My family (me, dh and 4 kids ranging from (7-15) has narrowed our summer cruise to Alaska down to either the NCL Pearl or NCL Bliss. I am going to try to write this in a neutral tone so that you don't know which "side" I am on. My dh and I have a difference of opinion over which ship we should book and I am curious to get some non-biased opinions.

PEARL- Older with smaller balcony. Much smaller ship than the Bliss. dh and I both agree that the shows on Bliss are more to our liking. Goes to Glacier Bay.

BLISS: Brand-spanking-new! Has much more in the way of entertainment for the kids (racing cars, laser tag, water slides) and we like the shows better. Larger balconies and viewing areas. Much larger ship, so more people. More expensive (by a few thousand dollars). Goes to Sawyer Glacier, not Glacier Bay.

If anyone can think of other differences, I'd love to hear what you have to say. TY in advance!

I was thinking about the Bliss for Alaska. But I have a basketball obsessed 12 year old. I can not see that Bliss has a sports court. He will literally spend hours on the sports court during a cruise. I can't believe this huge ship has no sports court :0(

I do love a new ship though. But I also would like the Glacier Bay cruising better. Sorry I'm no help. LOL

I always choose itinerary over cruise line or ship for Alaska. We primarily use the ship for eating breakfast & dinner, sleeping and transportation between ports. I would pick whichever itinerary you all prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

More expensive (by a few thousand dollars). Goes to Sawyer Glacier, not Glacier Bay.

Based on above, I would never consider the Bliss for Alaska. The most important parts of Alaska are the port stops and glacier viewing.

With the Bliss Tracy Arm itinerary, Budget Queen always says that the add-on catamaran trip to see Sawyer Glacier (at $250 per person x 6 people!) is a MUST, and, having taken that excursion, I definitely agree with her.

The extra thousands of dollars for the base cruise fare as well as the catamaran add-on excursion would be better spent for some really exciting shore excursions for the kids in Alaska.

If you really need the entertainment on the ship for the kids, you might consider saving your money and going on a fancy ship in the Caribbean.

Have you been to Alaska before? My inclination is to say the Pearl. If it is your first time, hands down the Pearl.

To be honest, the thousands of dollars is the first thing that pops into mind. Alaska really is all about the ports, and being able to do a one-way and hit Glacier Bay is a very close second as important reason.

The shows and whatnot... pppffff. If you can see my signature, I'm booked on the Bliss. However, I really was just looking for a cruise on one of these new mega ships. I didn't care where it went. I started off with RCL and their big ships, but I refuse to go to the W. Caribbean again and just couldn't find a cruise I wanted to book. So I turned to the Bliss, which is going to Alaska. Alaska is my favorite cruising area. This will be my 3rd time, so the bad port times didn't bother me as much. Seeing a new glacier probably isn't a bad idea.

Kids are easy to entertain. Maybe you hid your preference really well, but I really don't get a sense that the "pros" you listed for the Bliss are that important to you.

Maybe you hid your preference really well, but I really don't get a sense that the "pros" you listed for the Bliss are that important to you.

Nope. I guess I didn't hide my preference well! I am all about the itinerary, plus I know my kids prefer the larger ships but I prefer the smaller ships.

My family (me, dh and 4 kids ranging from (7-15) has narrowed our summer cruise to Alaska down to either the NCL Pearl or NCL Bliss. I am going to try to write this in a neutral tone so that you don't know which "side" I am on. My dh and I have a difference of opinion over which ship we should book and I am curious to get some non-biased opinions.

PEARL- Older with smaller balcony. Much smaller ship than the Bliss. dh and I both agree that the shows on Bliss are more to our liking. Goes to Glacier Bay.

BLISS: Brand-spanking-new! Has much more in the way of entertainment for the kids (racing cars, laser tag, water slides) and we like the shows better. Larger balconies and viewing areas. Much larger ship, so more people. More expensive (by a few thousand dollars). Goes to Sawyer Glacier, not Glacier Bay.

If anyone can think of other differences, I'd love to hear what you have to say. TY in advance!

If those are the choices for 2018, I would choose the Pearl for Glacier Bay.

If 2019, I would choose the Bliss, for Glacier Bay.

Glacier Bay is the better itinerary.

Just my opinion!

• Thanks 1

If those are the choices for 2018, I would choose the Pearl for Glacier Bay.

If 2019, I would choose the Bliss, for Glacier Bay.

I'm going on Bliss in 2018 and missing glacier bay on my first ever alaska cruise (a hard pill to swallow, but the ship is so worth it), and now that I know about the 2019 itinerary including it.... looks like I'm going to alaska again! :D

How much time will you spend on the ship?

How active will you be while in port?

For me a cruise ship is a floating hotel, amenities are nice, but we generally are fairly active in ports and tired by the time we get back to ship. Same with hotels on vacation. If you plan on spending most of your time on the ship doing shows and activities on the ship, choose by ship. If you plan on getting off as soon as you can and are wondering if you will make it back on time each port day, choose by itinerary.

• 1 month later...
Doing the Bliss July 2018 and cant wait! First time to Alaska and wouldn't have chosen the Pearl, not into the older ships... the new NCL ships are great!

We ended up choosing the Pearl. Just couldn't justify spending $5,000 more for the Bliss on top of what is already an expensive vacay for the six of us, and the 2018 itinerary for Pearl stopped at ports we preferred.

Hope you have great trip on Bliss!

Edited by dinkydee718
typos

For the Caribbean I would pick based on ship. For Alaska I would pick based on itinerary. And excursions are really expensive, so I would also save money with the pearl, and spend it on excursions

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

100% Agree! In the Caribbean the ship matters much more than in Alaska.

Patty