Christmas in the suite - lol

sarahjane01

Hot on the heels of my original post asking about Dress Code on the Sojourn Holiday Cruise - heres my next one:

Can I bring a Christmas Tree on board to erect in the suite (Artificial of course)?

Being a Brit I can't live without a tree - on our previous cruises I have always bought a 6 ft slim tree. I like to get up on Christmas morning and open presents around the tree - even at 48 years of age - lol.

Which brings me onto the next question - can we bring wrapped gifts? Or should we bring them unwrapped?

This is a fascinating query. How will you get a 6ft tree onto the ship? and how many presents are you hoping to take with you. I have to assume that you are not flying.

As you are a Brit I am wondering if you have sailed previously with P & O or Princess.. Seabourn is nothing like as formal (on formal nights) as those Lines. J

I don't think there is any issue with bringing wrapped presents on board, nor the xmas tree - I am guessing it consists of sections and packs into a regular sized box. There might be some H&S concern about having fairy lights plugged in and switched on all day though.....

Think airport security sometimes has a problem with wrapped presents. I’ve just got a Christmas penguin door hanger (Christmas kitsch) for outside my cabin for the pre Christmas Antarctica cruise (ends dec 21) / hope seabourn acknowledge a little bit of Christmas on this cruise too! Got two chocolate advent calendars ready too, as if we won’t be eating enough already. Also considering a few cabin decs, so I love this post!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be driving to the port - not many gifts just a few. Probably will only plug the lights in when in the actual suite rather than leave on. Thanks for all the help so far. Thinking I may just bring my kitchen sink with me as well..... Lol :-)

If the gifts are inside the suitcases, wrapped or not, I wouldn't think security would be a problem.

Have a lovely Christmas cruise, we have had several, always taken a couple of gifts but never a tree! J

There just might have been a penguin wreath on the door to our suite during our Antartica cruise over the holidays. And in our suite on the table was a little one foot tree lit with a small strand of battery operated lights. 38b2c7bd10fc267d6b87365570d93639.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There just might have been a penguin wreath on the door to our suite during our Antartica cruise over the holidays. And in our suite on the table was a little one foot tree lit with a small strand of battery operated lights. 38b2c7bd10fc267d6b87365570d93639.jpg

Fantastic! Much more tasteful than mine!

Edited by galeforce9

I have been on two Seabourn holiday cruises on two different boats. Seabourn does a nice job decorating the ship for the holidays. Lights, wreaths, trees, gingerbread houses, holiday displays, etc. are scattered around the boat. Very festive. Why haul your own tree when you can have Seabourn do all the work ?

I have been on two Seabourn holiday cruises on two different boats. Seabourn does a nice job decorating the ship for the holidays. Lights, wreaths, trees, gingerbread houses, holiday displays, etc. are scattered around the boat. Very festive. Why haul your own tree when you can have Seabourn do all the work ?

True but we’re the pre Christmas cruise (for most of the Christmas run up - 21 days in December), so wouldn’t want to miss out if seabourn don’t think this is “the Christmas cruise”!

Choosing which Christmas decorations to bring is always a delicate choice. I would hate people to think they weren't in the midst of British red neck trailer dewellers for 50 weeks of the year particularly when we upgraded to a Penthouse one year :)

Obviously in the lower decks where we normally reside decorations are far more common :)

Never brought a Christmas tree but plenty of room in the Penthouse Suites. We had a good string of lights and other decorations last year. Door and suite walls are metal so bring sticky tape. Remember to remove all traces when clearing up otherwise not very fair on the cabin Stewardess.

Have struggled to use sucker pads on the doors, they tend to come off after a while for some reason. Metallic would be ideal.

Just in case someone was thinking of going all natural and bringing a real tree you would fall foul of food / plant restrictions so it's artificial only I'm afraid unless you fancy trying to arrange a Phytosanitary certificate in advance and persuading the powers that be both onboard & in each visited country that your tree is legal. You would also need to arrange safe disposal of said tree.

Henry :)

Choosing which Christmas decorations to bring is always a delicate choice. I would hate people to think they weren't in the midst of British red neck trailer dewellers for 50 weeks of the year particularly when we upgraded to a Penthouse one year :)

Obviously in the lower decks where we normally reside decorations are far more common :)

Never brought a Christmas tree but plenty of room in the Penthouse Suites. We had a good string of lights and other decorations last year. Door and suite walls are metal so bring sticky tape. Remember to remove all traces when clearing up otherwise not very fair on the cabin Stewardess.

Have struggled to use sucker pads on the doors, they tend to come off after a while for some reason.

Metallic would be ideal.

Just in case someone was thinking of going all natural and bringing a real tree you would fall foul of food / plant restrictions so it's artificial only I'm afraid unless you fancy trying to arrange a Phytosanitary certificate in advance and persuading the powers that be both onboard & in each visited country that your tree is legal. You would also need to arrange safe disposal of said tree.

We actually bring magnetic hooks to hang up some items in addition to the Christmas lights we hang around the balcony door.

On the door and walls use Command strips and hooks. They magically hold securely and even more magically leave no trace behind to dirty or damage surfaces. Do not use tape, tacks or any other material.

Galeforce, I am pretty sure they don’t decorate until just before the cruise that actually includes Christmas so good for you for wanting to get into the holiday spirit early. And I’m sure your wreath is lovely.

As to the OP’s idea of a tree in the suite, maybe as a compromise you can set up a tree a couple of feet tall on the table? Thus it will still have some “presence” in the suite and room for a couple of “presents” underneath.

As to the OP’s idea of a tree in the suite, maybe as a compromise you can set up a tree a couple of feet tall on the table? Thus it will still have some “presence” in the suite and room for a couple of “presents” underneath.

No, I like the thought of a 6 foot tree in the suite. Anyone can do a small table top tree!

You will never attain legendary status on here by not putting in some effort. In an ideal world I would like to see it being brought onboard fully assembled :)

I'm sensing a forum group photo / Christmas message....

Oh, and whilst I remember don't even think about relocating one of the giant chocolate Santas to sit under your tree. That would be bad, very bad, the very worst kind of bad.......... ;)

On the door and walls use Command strips and hooks. They magically hold securely and even more magically leave no trace behind to dirty or damage surfaces. Do not use tape, tacks or any other material.

Galeforce, I am pretty sure they don’t decorate until just before the cruise that actually includes Christmas so good for you for wanting to get into the holiday spirit early. And I’m sure your wreath is lovely.

Thanks Chairsin! Command hooks purchased (never heard of these so great tip) and battery operated lights too :-)

Right now I am thinking a 10ft tree - even if I have to bend the top over - lol. I may bring a snow machine so I can wake up to softly falling snow and maybe a choir of angels to serenade us on Christmas Eve.

Quite how my husband is going to arrange a new 911 GT3 to be delivered to the suite on Christmas Morning I really don't know. Maybe theres a dealership in the port we will be at on Christmas Day, :D;p:'):p

Now you're talking my territory sarahjane 😁

Under the circumstances maybe he could be forgiven for saving a bit of space and wrapping up a nice Boxster Spyder. Ideal for pottering round the Islands and a shrewd investment......

Don't forget to get him a nice pair of socks or a tie in return !

If you are religious and a smart planner like me you will want to show some verve and decorate your cabin door. Yes, lots of folks do and it can get quite competitive. And the CD will pass judgment! So it’s ok- semi official and a lot of fun for all. Especially for the winner!

Of course, this enthusiasm is a small gesture compared to what you can do at home. But go for it! Christmas comes but once a year! (And I think I already know who’s gonna win on the Quest next month, HAHA!)

Happy and healthy sailing!