Need opinions - day time or night time for Roman Forum and Colosseum tours?

conquesodor

I see many Forum and Colosseum tours offered at night as well as during the day. The night time tours are touted as "romantic" and a special experience. Can anyone offer their feedback on the experience of an after dark tour? Bonus points for anyone who has tried both and can share pros / cons of each approach. :D

FYI, this trip will be a honeymoon, so I'm curious if anyone else agrees that going at night is more "romantic" or not? We'll be there in late April, so escaping the summer sun is not as important.

Trying to decide between the two options and could use your help. :confused:

Thanks!

Ken

Hmm, not sure I'd consider the Colosseum, the site of bloody animal hunts and executions, to be a romantic place either during the day or at night....

If you want to really see the places, go during the day. If you just want a "show" then I suggest going to one of the Sound and Light shows at the various forums.

The description of the night tours make it sound like you are getting access after the Colosseum closes to general admission, which might be a benefit? On the other hand, it also sounds like you can't enter the Forum and only get a "tour" of that from what you can see from public spaces overlooking it.

cruisemom42 - I've read some of your posts here in the past and you sound like someone who likes to "go deep" into the history and culture. You've also visited Italy more than a few times. Do you have guide that you recommend or do you mostly explore on your own?

Yes, you will have access to the Colosseum "after hours" with far fewer people. But even though the setting will be lit, you won't be able to see all the details as well at night. However, that might be offset by the access to all of the (currently) open areas.

You're right in thinking you won't have access to the Forum -- only to an area where you can overlook it.

I've been to Rome quite a few times and I tend to just get around and visit sites on my own -- the exception being sites that are difficult to gain access to without a guide. For visitors who are interested in a more "in depth" kind of tour, I would feel confident in recommending Context Travel Rome as a resource. They offer quite a few small group walking tours that cover a wide range of eras and interests in Rome.

• 1 month later...

This thread caught my eye because we just did a NIGHT tour in Rome or should I say my son and his girlfriend did. We stayed 3 nights in Rome after a cruise. The driver through Joe Banana Limos was awesome. My son actually proposed to his girlfriend. It was an amazing trip!! The Driver told him the most romantic spot. My son was extremely happy as was the finance!! :) He mentioned he saw a lot of things he would not of seen on his own without having a tour! Enjoy Rome!!

I would lean towards the night tour because 1) the crowds will have dispersed a bit, as well as the "selfie stick" vendors.... and 2) the sun can get very strong mid day and in Rome, shade is not abundant... I'd just like to point out that I have roasted there in spring as well as fall, not just in summer (of course depending on the year as it varies) so though you mention not being worried about the sun, if it's a warm spring you'd be surprised just how hot it can get. Enjoy ;)