$1,798 Vs. $9596

Lakesregion

Clotted cream is essential! I had stopped eating scones at afternoon tea because the squirty cream did not add to my experience. It has been an oft-repeated complaint on this board that Cunard has discontinued clotted cream at afternoon tea.

I decided that rather than complain, it's easier to pack my own clotted cream. I was driven to Southampton and sailed from there, so it was absolutely easy. I thoroughly enjoyed my scones each day!

Are you also amazed that people would take their own champagne on a voyage? People on this board have done so! (I rarely drink, so that doesn't interest me.) Cruising for me is a time to do things I don't get to do for the rest of the year. I indulge in little luxuries. Scones with my preferred jam (jars taken from the breakfast buffet) and clotted cream are an occasional indulgence. It adds to the whole cruise experience.

Why complain about drops in Cunard's standards when it's so easy to organise the things that are most important to your sense of luxury?

Been plenty of times I took along real maple syrup for my morning waffles etc.

Anything masquerading as a food stuff, with the word "clotted" in it, sounds appalling.

Sounds like you don't get out much! Really, there are numerous names of various foods. As Auntie Mame used to say: "Life is a banquet & most poor Suckers are starving!" Try something better than the local Applebee's & see the world!

You are absolutely right that I have missed the clotted cream drama ;). My husband is from Devon so he takes clotted cream very seriously. As an American it is hard to get over the name but it is delicious. I honestly am sure we had it on HAL although they may have discontinued it there as well.

They still had it in the Queens Grill, while the rest of the ship used some imitation. We did have it in 2012 on the QV. It was,however for the Champagne Tea, which cost about $27.

Sounds like you don't get out much! Really, there are numerous names of various foods. As Auntie Mame used to say: "Life is a banquet & most poor Suckers are starving!" Try something better than the local Applebee's & see the world!

I'll leave the clots for you to dine on, and I know better than to eat at Applebees. One of my son's friends is a cook at an Applebees, so I know that a good bit of their menu comes to them frozen and is simply heated in a microwave. I can do that at home without subjecting myself to a room full of germ incubators.

Just wave your Mastercard around ... then everything is "Priceless"

They only take it once prior to boarding and then it is the seacard to wave around so a cabin steward cannot use it as nothing to purchase unless they refill your fridge and you sign an enormous tip. Sadly the tip is then shared.. Has to be US$ I guess :) :eek:

They only take it once prior to boarding and then it is the seacard to wave around so a cabin steward cannot use it as nothing to purchase unless they refill your fridge and you sign an enormous tip. Sadly the tip is then shared.. Has to be US$ I guess :) :eek:

A 15% service charge is automatically added to any Cunard supplied beverage stocked in your cabin refrigerator that you consume. Of course you can give an additional tip in cash if desired - and it needn't be US currency :)

My reply was more in jest to the original poster as to paying the steward for extra duties

Yes all ships have 15 - 18 gratuity charge on drinks [emoji1]

Depending where the ship ports the most US$ are easier for crew though they accept any currency much like us when travelling and buying in small areas

Crew can exchange at their purser office but will pay an exchange

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk