"Free Drinks in the Grill Suites" -- Oh, My

njguy_south

I suppose some purists are flabergasted, utterly appalled, permanently disenchanted that Cunard has gone -- GASP! -- inclusive. (Or at least all inclusive in the exclusive Grills!)

How delightful it will be to look up at the Grills exclusive open deck, from the open decks below, during a sailaway on the QE2, and see a "Booze Cruise" (as described by some, when discussing all inclusive cruises) happening among the upper crust.

Now with free booze, what's next?

lol

After a recent cruise on Celebrity where, due to their 1-2-3 Go promotion, practically everybody onboard had a drinks package, I think your worries are unfounded.

On our 14 day South American cruise, practically everyone aboard had the drinks package. I didn't detect any specific booze-cruisey behavior whatsoever - it was just a whole lot more convenient. (There WAS a detrimental effect on the wine service in the MDR, though)

I truly doubt that the cost of a cocktail is keeping the grill passengers from going crazy. (Especially since they get a couple of bottles of booze in their cabins anyway.)

Frankly, with the drink package option now being factored into the Celebrity fare plans and the actual all-inclusive fares offered by the luxury lines, this is a necessary catch-up move. If they were smart, they'd sneak in a needed fare increase with their own version of Celebrity's promo for all fare classes (perhaps limited to crossings and cruises over 9 days, if necessary)

Edited by MarkBearSF

Does this apply to the Princess Grill and, if so, what does it include?[/

It all depends if you have booked a specific package.

The packages have been trialled on several trips recently.

Friends had it on QV in November and there was nothing but confusion. Based upon that, I can't see it lasting.

Edited by BigMac1953

• 2 weeks later...

Disembarked Q Victoria today.

Drinks in the Concierge Lounge of the Grills? You must be joking!!

Was told tea, coffee or water!! You either need a package or pay.

However, I was told by Cunard when I booked that soft drinks (sodas) were free in the Concierge Lounge.

I informed the Concierge of this and she said that she would tell the bar to supply these foc.

We paid for the first two and then asked for another two without charge. The third time were refused a soda by the charmless person in charge of the bar who informed me that she had to earn a living and worked for the Bar Manager, not the Concierge!! Since we had only had two free sodas in 10 days, I was not amused. She was incredibly rude. She also had an 'attitude' towards serving the free teas and coffees.

We cruise on many cruise lines - the best ever suite facility was the Yacht Club on MSC!!

Also felt that although we had left on the auto tips, that the staff were expecting extra. Will take off the tips in future and give envelopes, as there seems little point in doing both. I am happy to do the auto tipping and then be left alone and forget about tips. No point in doing both!!

There was certainly no sign of it on QV when we were there in November. Personally, I wouldn't be in favour. Having spent 40 years working to get to the point where we can sail QG I no longer have a liver that can get benefit from free booze and my palate (well, my digestion if I'm honest) is a bit too delicate to be drawn to stuff at $6 a glass anyway.

Was Lucia back on board as bar manager BMT? I would have expected her to be all over that sort of stuff, she's very organised, gets to know the pax and what they need pretty well and doesn't tend to put up with grumpy staff..

Was Lucia back on board as bar manager BMT? I would have expected her to be all over that sort of stuff, she's very organised, gets to know the pax and what they need pretty well and doesn't tend to put up with grumpy staff..

No idea who she is. Very pleasant young man serving drinks though.

We enjoyed our cruise, but have enjoyed other cruises more!!

We don't drink alcohol and our preferred drink is......water!! But the occasional soda is very nice.

No kettle in the cabin (sorry, suite) was an irritant. Waiting for room service when we wanted a cup of tea and then receiving warm water is annoying for us plebs. On Royal Caribbean we had a brand new Russel Hobbs. A lot less risky in fire terms than the cheap travel kettles which many pax had brought on board the Queen Vic. Royal and Celebrity put kettles in the cabins when their ships are out of Southampton.

The food was very good .....but so it is on other cruise lines. To be honest, Cunard likes to think itself a cut above, but really isn't. No better, no worse.

Apparently, when we booked the sodas WERE free as we were informed when we booked, then it changed.

I believe they are trying out different arrangements.

But still, the rudeness of that bar lady had to be believed!! The Concierge had tried to solve the problem easily.....but said bar lady objected to three free sodas over 12 days.

Wouldn't have done it had there been a man present. Two elderly ladies on their own!!:mad::mad::mad: Another passenger heard and was appalled.

Also 11.00 am until midnight.........10.00 am had passengers looking for coffee!! 10.00 am until 11.00pm would be more sensible. However, said lady objected to serving the free coffees anyway!!

Royal Caribbean/Celebrity have it about right. Free drinks (not top shelf) between 5.00pm and 8.00pm. Since many had free packages anyway, wouldn't cost much to operate.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have a price list for the wine menus in the Britannia Restaurant by the glass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sure someone will come up with one soon, but just to say it's far more economical and cheaper to buy a bottle. You can request a glass of wine as and when you require it and the bottle will be kept on hold until the end of your cruise/voyage. ;)

It is a special offer, we have booked for July on QM2 and we can have drinks in the grills to the value of $15 each drink, not available in any of the other bars

Chipsdog, is this deal only on special sailings? We are booked in QG in May on Queen Vic and have no knowledge of this perk? :confused:

Chipsdog, is this deal only on special sailings? We are booked in QG in May on Queen Vic and have no knowledge of this perk? :confused:

These inclusive drinks deals only come up on occasional 'promotions'. They are are only available on the Cunard fare ( not on any saver fares etc) At the end of the day it's not such a big deal as the customer has already paid a high premium for this promotion ....there's no such thing as a free lunch ;)

Edited by Bell Boy

We are also on QV in QG in May and don't have any inclusive drinks package. We do however, have a LOT of OBC, so will be absolutely fine :D

These inclusive drinks deals only come up on occasional 'promotions'. They are are only available on the Cunard fare ( not on any saver fares etc) At the end of the day it's not such a big deal as the customer has already paid a high premium for this promotion ....there's no such thing as a free lunch ;)

Just found this on prnewswire.com:

Free Upgrades, Free Gratuities, Plus Free Drinks in the Grill Suites

SOUTHAMPTON, England, Jan. 6, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Guests looking to explore new cultures from the comfort of a luxurious Cunard experience can now receive Free Upgrades and Free Gratuities in all categories, plus Free Drinks in the Grill Suites on select voyages on Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth with The Ultimate Upgrade.

Destinations and itineraries range from historic Northern Europe charm to quaint beauty of New England and Canada, lush coastlines of the Caribbean, breathtaking ports of the Mediterranean, picturesque scenery of Iberia and the Canary Islands and Queen Mary 2's legendary Transatlantic Crossing.

The Ultimate Upgrade applies to new bookings on select voyages made until February 29, 2016. The offer includes: *

Balcony stateroom for the same fare as an Oceanview stateroom

Princess Grill Suite for the same fare as a Balcony or Britannia Club Balcony

Queens Grill Suite for the same fare as a Princess Grill Suite

Free gratuities for two people

Plus guests in Grill suites receive free drinks

* To view the full-range of itineraries, offer details and full restrictions please click here.

Mmmm....think a phonecall to Cunard is due :D

Will you let us know? I am not concerned about the upgrade since we had paid in full last year, but free drinks...........

Hi Gill

I'm afraid you get whatever was on offer at time of booking, whether upgrade or free drinks package. The offers are nor retrospective.

Last year's big OBC offer that we got (and you nearly did) was withdrawn soon after we booked, and indeed, friends on board with us, also in QG, didn't even know about it.

BTW, how is your granddaughter doing?

Stewart

Hi Gill

I'm afraid you get whatever was on offer at time of booking, whether upgrade or free drinks package. The offers are nor retrospective.

Last year's big OBC offer that we got (and you nearly did) was withdrawn soon after we booked, and indeed, friends on board with us, also in QG, didn't even know about it.

BTW, how is your granddaughter doing?

Stewart

On the contrary, on a different cruise last year, or possibly it was the year before, we had the OBC added WAAAAY after we'd booked, and I challenged it ;) Yes, I was surprised - and suitably grateful!

Our grand daughter is doing very well thanks - now if she'd only learn to sleep, our daughter would also be grateful :D

Just found this on prnewswire.com:

Free Upgrades, Free Gratuities, Plus Free Drinks in the Grill Suites

SOUTHAMPTON, England, Jan. 6, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Guests looking to explore new cultures from the comfort of a luxurious Cunard experience can now receive Free Upgrades and Free Gratuities in all categories, plus Free Drinks in the Grill Suites on select voyages on Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth with The Ultimate Upgrade.

Destinations and itineraries range from historic Northern Europe charm to quaint beauty of New England and Canada, lush coastlines of the Caribbean, breathtaking ports of the Mediterranean, picturesque scenery of Iberia and the Canary Islands and Queen Mary 2's legendary Transatlantic Crossing.

The Ultimate Upgrade applies to new bookings on select voyages made until February 29, 2016. The offer includes: *

Balcony stateroom for the same fare as an Oceanview stateroom

Princess Grill Suite for the same fare as a Balcony or Britannia Club Balcony

Queens Grill Suite for the same fare as a Princess Grill Suite

Free gratuities for two people

Plus guests in Grill suites receive free drinks

* To view the full-range of itineraries, offer details and full restrictions please click here.

Mmmm....think a phonecall to Cunard is due :D

As a newbie to Cunard, I was quite surprised yesterday when I called (Cunard) to book on the QV. After looking at all the cabin types, I decided to stretch the budget a bit and get a Princess Grill suite just because it was larger than the balcony cabins and the sale prices were very inviting.

When I was told that I would be getting a Queens Grill suite for the same cost, I thought it would be terribly impolite to turn down such hospitality.:D:D

The agent then explained about the drink package(anything under $12.00), free gratuities, free mini-bar, etc. and now I can't wait for October to get here.:)

I think I'm going to like Cunard!

Cheers!

Will you let us know? I am not concerned about the upgrade since we had paid in full last year, but free drinks...........

Rang Cunard, nice Rep who did go off to check. However she said there was no such promotion at present.........oh well, better luck next time!