Cruise Insurance worked for us

summersigh

Due to a medical/hospitalization issue with DH we had to cancel our December cruise 4 days prior to sailing. We had taken out the Carnival Vacation Protection – about 10% of the cost of the cruise.

Between Carnival refunding taxes and port fees (got that credited from CCL within 1 1/2 weeks) and the insurance company we have gotten everything back except for the cost of the insurance within 1 month of applying.

Well worth the cost of the insurance for having to cancel 4 days before sailing!

We have a jewel of a TA who opened the claim for us, had them e-mail the proper forms and she sent copies of the papers I needed to send in with the claim as proof. DH had Dr appointments within 2 weeks and their office was kind enough to fill out their sheet in a timely manner.

Here was what the policy CCL offers covers:

• · If you need to cancel for some of the most common reasons (severe weather, illness, etc.) you'll get 100% of the cost of your trip back, in cash. If you need to cancel for any reason not covered by the plan — any reason at all — you'll get 75% back in a Future Cruise Credit Certificate.

• Trip Delay: Up to $500 for "catch-up" expenses like meals, hotel and transportation
  • Baggage: Up to $1,500 if your stuff is lost, stolen or damaged, and up to $500 reimbursement if you have to buy necessary items while your bags are delayed 24+ hours
  • Medical: Up to $10,000 if you get sick or injured on your vacation
  • Emergency Evacuation: Up to $30,000 for emergency medical evacuation and repatriation

Thanks for sharing this information. Have never really heard any positive results in using Carnivals insurance. Nice to know it's not as bad as everyone claims it to be. Glad it worked out so well for you and speedy recovery for your husband.

Thanks for sharing this information. Have never really heard any positive results in using Carnivals insurance. Nice to know it's not as bad as everyone claims it to be. Glad it worked out so well for you and speedy recovery for your husband.

He's doing well after the procedure in December ... in fact we're booked again for May and December since :)

Good to hear something positive! Can’t decide on what type of insurance for our July trip but I have already included Carnival insurance in our bill just haven’t paid it yet!

If we were going farther than the Caribbean (like Europe or Asia) I think I would book private insurance with higher med than $10,000 and evacuation more that $30,000 but I figure those numbers will work from the Caribbean distances.:D

The medical is important for older cruisers since many don't realize Medicare does not cover out of the USA.:)

" many don't realize Medicare does not cover out of the USA"

Standard A & B coverage do not expand out of the country. Most supplements do cover traveling out of the country. we use United health supplement and we sure we had coverage.

Glad at least you had some insurance! For me Carnival's isn't worth it as it costs more and has pitiful medical coverage. If the illness or accident is anything besides minor, $10,000 won't get you too far in the Caribbean or anywhere else. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that low of coverage. And if I need to use the cancel for any reason clause, I would want cash back, not a future cruise credit. Also beware that preexisting conditions are not covered under Carnival's insurance. I don't have any, but many people do.

Anyway, I'm very happy for you. Hope he gets well and you have better luck next time.

" many don't realize Medicare does not cover out of the USA"

Standard A & B coverage do not expand out of the country. Most supplements do cover traveling out of the country. we use United health supplement and we sure we had coverage.

That's why I just mentioned Medicare and not supplements.:)

Glad at least you had some insurance! For me Carnival's isn't worth it as it costs more and has pitiful medical coverage. If the illness or accident is anything besides minor, $10,000 won't get you too far in the Caribbean or anywhere else. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that low of coverage. And if I need to use the cancel for any reason clause, I would want cash back, not a future cruise credit. Also beware that preexisting conditions are not covered under Carnival's insurance. I don't have any, but many people do..

We did get cash back - we each received a check for the amount we paid for the cruise minus the taxes and port fees that CCL refunded to our credit card. If we book a cruise the only reason we'd cancel after final payment would be one of the acceptable ones for refund.

If DH has a medical problem that's going to be more extensive than $10,000 we'll be on a plane out of there to the medical university that treats him :D

We did get cash back - we each received a check for the amount we paid for the cruise minus the taxes and port fees that CCL refunded to our credit card. If we book a cruise the only reason we'd cancel after final payment would be one of the acceptable ones for refund.

If DH has a medical problem that's going to be more extensive than $10,000 we'll be on a plane out of there to the medical university that treats him :D

Yeah I mean for Cancel For Any Reason. I would want cash back. As far as the $10,000 I don't think it's as simple as telling them you want him transferred. Usually that's part of a "Hospital of your choice" coverage which I didn't see listed. If it's that bad, they will keep him wherever he is at from my understanding.

God for you. I use to always get the insurance, util I tried to use if for my canceled cruise due to hurricane Harvey. I got nothing, and Carnival did not handle the promised refund like they assured us they would. I will fpass in insurance in the future...at least through Carnival.

My goal in this thread was not to debate the merits of the coverage amounts. I explained that farther from home I would get higher coverage. I posted the basics of the CCL insurance as a disclaimer and as information to those unfamiliar with it's amounts and limits.

My goal was to merely say that due to a medical incident just prior to our cruise we were reimbursed in cash as promised even with an Early Saver rate. We spent $200 to get $2,000 back. We were satisfied with the outcome.

Glad at least you had some insurance! For me Carnival's isn't worth it as it costs more and has pitiful medical coverage. If the illness or accident is anything besides minor, $10,000 won't get you too far in the Caribbean or anywhere else. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that low of coverage. And if I need to use the cancel for any reason clause, I would want cash back, not a future cruise credit. Also beware that preexisting conditions are not covered under Carnival's insurance. I don't have any, but many people do.

Anyway, I'm very happy for you. Hope he gets well and you have better luck next time.

A little misleading there. Preexisting conditions that manifest 60 days prior to effective date. Not preexisting condition that you may have had for a long time.

" Pre-Existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60-day period immediatelyprior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion, or Immediate Family Member who isscheduled or booked to travel with you:1) received or received a recommendation for a diagnostic test, examination, or medical treatment; or2) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine.Item 2) of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking ofprescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in therequired prescription throughout the 60-day period before coverage is effective under this Policy".

A little misleading there. Preexisting conditions that manifest 60 days prior to effective date. Not preexisting condition that you may have had for a long time.

" Pre-Existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60-day period immediatelyprior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion, or Immediate Family Member who isscheduled or booked to travel with you:1) received or received a recommendation for a diagnostic test, examination, or medical treatment; or2) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine.Item 2) of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking ofprescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in therequired prescription throughout the 60-day period before coverage is effective under this Policy".

Yeah. That's the definition of pre existing condition. And if you fit their definition, you won't be covered. Nothing misleading about it.

Yeah. That's the definition of pre existing condition. And if you fit their definition, you won't be covered. Nothing misleading about it.

True for those of us that are seasoned cruisers. But newbies may think that travel insurance preexisting conditions has same meaning as health insurance preexisting conditions. Just didn't want anyone to get wrong impression. Thanks.

True for those of us that are seasoned cruisers. But newbies may think that travel insurance preexisting conditions has same meaning as health insurance preexisting conditions. Just didn't want anyone to get wrong impression. Thanks.

Good point. It's very important to read the details of any policy before purchasing.

Due to a medical/hospitalization issue with DH we had to cancel our December cruise 4 days prior to sailing. We had taken out the Carnival Vacation Protection – about 10% of the cost of the cruise.

Between Carnival refunding taxes and port fees (got that credited from CCL within 1 1/2 weeks) and the insurance company we have gotten everything back except for the cost of the insurance within 1 month of applying.

Well worth the cost of the insurance for having to cancel 4 days before sailing!

We have a jewel of a TA who opened the claim for us, had them e-mail the proper forms and she sent copies of the papers I needed to send in with the claim as proof. DH had Dr appointments within 2 weeks and their office was kind enough to fill out their sheet in a timely manner.

Here was what the policy CCL offers covers:

• · If you need to cancel for some of the most common reasons (severe weather, illness, etc.) you'll get 100% of the cost of your trip back, in cash. If you need to cancel for any reason not covered by the plan — any reason at all — you'll get 75% back in a Future Cruise Credit Certificate.

• Trip Delay: Up to $500 for "catch-up" expenses like meals, hotel and transportation
  • Baggage: Up to $1,500 if your stuff is lost, stolen or damaged, and up to $500 reimbursement if you have to buy necessary items while your bags are delayed 24+ hours
  • Medical: Up to $10,000 if you get sick or injured on your vacation
  • Emergency Evacuation: Up to $30,000 for emergency medical evacuation and repatriation

Glad it worked out for you.

We purchased TravelSafe Classic through Insure My Trip. We paid $112 (9% of cruise cost) for BOTH of us. (We're in our mid-50's. :eek:)

Coverage amounts far succeed Carnival's.

Accidental Death and Dismemberment.............................. $25,000

Medical Expense/Emergency AssistanceAccident and Sickness Medical Expense ........................... $100,000

Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation ........................ $1,000,000

Trip Cancellation ............................................................... Trip Cost

Trip Interruption...................................................150% of Trip Cost

Missed Connection................................................................. $2,500

Travel Delay (Up to $150 Per Day) ........................................... $750

Baggage and Personal Effects.............................................. $2,500

Baggage Delay........................................................................... $250

I'd glad it worked out for you. It's already bad enough to miss out on vacation which you were so excited for. The last thing you need is to lose money on it to.

With that said, I can't see myself buying the insurance. If I bought insurance on my average vacation, I would need to do so for the flight, cruise, and rental car. That adds up to a lot of money, especially never having used it before. I like my Chase Sapphire Reserve, which I can't recommend enough for those who spend a significant amount on dining/travel. It includes all of those insurances.

meant to reply

Good to hear something positive! Can’t decide on what type of insurance for our July trip but I have already included Carnival insurance in our bill just haven’t paid it yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same with us. We canceled our February cruise earlier this month due to a medical issue with DH. Received refund from Carnival the same day, and we'll receive the remainder except for the cost of the insurance from the insurance company .

Edited by fair-winds39
meant to reply to orig post.