Carnival Pride review, July 4th week!

LongHill44

This will be just a quick review, I will answer any and all questions about the Pride and her stops, Grand Turk, Half Moon Caye and Freeport.

Parking: Piece ofcake, pulled in around 12:30 and we were on the boat within a half hour or so. Got off the boat, into my car, few left turns and on Rt 95 within minutes. Perfect.

Boat: Yes, the boat needs some tender love and a few coats of paint and is heading to dry-dock soon. With that being said, I thought the ship was spotless just a bit worn out. Thought the pools were too small.

Food: Guys was awesome, had at least 6 burgers there, last burger was a bit too greasy for me, could squeeze some grease out of the bun if you dared. But overall, awesome and great fries as well.

Blue Iguana was a pleasant surprise and for most of the trip had a bigger line than Guys. Tacos/Burritosand salad bowls were all fresh and tasted great.

Pizza, it’s not NYC pizza but I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. Sometimes the wait could be long because they make it to order.

Buffett was more like college café food, some days better than others. Chopsticks hit some out of the park on some days though. Overall it was just OK.

Main Dining Room, we learned early on to order two entrees. Some were outstanding, some were OK and some were just really bad, worse than what they serve at the highschools, shocking to a degree. I tended to also order that the flat iron steak as my consistent backup plan. Most of the 30 in my group started doing the same. Overall we all agreed it was too inconsistent.

Table for 30 was well taken care of, most nights we had either 3 tables of 10 or those two long tables when you first walk in that seat 14 or so each.

Also, a nice hack is shorts and dressed down is allowed or tolerated on elegant nights after 8:15.

Cheers: Was not worth it in our eyes, found myself at times forcing myself to drink or get some drinks for my friends, YES, I know sharing isn’t allowed, opps.

Entertainment was caught between high school and college drama clubs. There was some good talent and singers no doubt, but as a group I felt they were average and the productions, although well-choreographed,seemed to have a very limited budget.

The only thing that pumped the entertainment up was Dr. E. I have to give this guy some props,he worked his tail off running from place to place within minutes to run something else. His passion and effort is second to none and without him Pride would be a disaster. I actually spoke to him several times, awesome person and the real deal, is 110% all Carnival and making everyone happy.

Ports:

Grand Turk, I could picture the beach without the hundreds of chairs and umbrellas jammed in side by side to be amazing, but they crammed too much into such a small place. Very rocky with dead coral and all when you enter the water. Water was beautiful. Nice to have Jack’s down the beach and Margaretville right there as well. Overall it was fine.

Half Moon Caye was stunning. I have been to many beaches around the world and I must say the beach, space, shallowness, color and calmness of the water here was INSANE! Best all-around I have ever seen. PERFECT. Cabana was icing on the cake

Freeport is nothing more than an industrial port when you get off the ship. We took a cab to a beach that was so pretty and perfect. You need to get away as far from the port as possible, so much more tooffer.

Tips: Some in my crew felt the 15% added to your bill may be too high if the actual workers arenot getting the full 15%. In speaking with our waiter and cabin steward, it turns out that they actually prefer cash,so we took those two off our bill and paid both the same amount but in cash. Both were extremely grateful and I will not repeat what they stated to me on here, but they see a fraction of that 15%, and have to pay taxes on what little they get after Carnival takes their share.

Overall it was a relaxing and enjoyable cruise. Everyone is up for a cruise next year on a different ship with different ports so we are researching our options now.

The above are my honest opinions, if you don’t like them, that’s fine, I am not here to argue with anyone. If anyone has any questions about the Pride or the stops mentioned, fire away.

Edited by LongHill44

There is no 15% added on to your bill for gratuities for your servers, room stewards, etc. It is a flat $12.95 per person per day no matter how much you pay for your cabin. Suites are $13.95 per person per day and yes they get a portion of that.

Here is the breakdown, per day:

Housekeeping Team: $4.05 ($5.05 for suites)

Dining Team: $6.40

Alternative Services: $2.50

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1123/~/service-gratuities-%28tips%29

There is no 15% added on to your bill for gratuities for your servers, room stewards, etc. It is a flat $12.95 per person per day no matter how much you pay for your cabin. Suites are $13.95 per person per day and yes they get a portion of that.

Here is the breakdown, per day:

Housekeeping Team: $4.05 ($5.05 for suites)

Dining Team: $6.40

Alternative Services: $2.50

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1123/~/service-gratuities-%28tips%29

Well we took all that off. If you read the contract, it said these are the recommend rates or costs, we took that off and paid him what Carnival would have charged us and paid him/her in cash instead, so he/she gets 100%

After getting to know certain crew members over the years (over 5 years to be exact) I can tell you they do get 100% of the gratuities that are charged and most of them prefer to leave them as they are - either prepaid or on your S&S account. I’ll just leave it at that as I’m not going to argue either. Either way it’s not 15% - it’s a flat fee.

Just got off the same cruise and agree with most of your assessment. This was our first Carnival cruise since 2010, having spent the last 4 on NCL, and this food does not even compare. Dining room was better than the buffet, for sure! And YES to order more than 1 dinner, also more than one dessert LOL. Cheers program - thank goodness my husband and I decided to split up and cabin with one kid each, to avoid having to pay for booze for both of us, definitely was not worth it.

We had cabins 4203 and 4205, the lifeboats hung outside our 'obstructed view' window. It would have been fine if it was just the boats, however, for several days, there were crew working/soldering/drilling outside our window for hours. I felt like I was in a dentist chair and a wee bit creepy that we could see their shadows thru the curtains.

After getting to know certain crew members over the years (over 5 years to be exact) I can tell you they do get 100% of the gratuities that are charged and most of them prefer to leave them as they are - either prepaid or on your S&S account. I’ll just leave it at that as I’m not going to argue either. Either way it’s not 15% - it’s a flat fee.

Like I said, we removed all cost, be it their flat rate or the recommended 15% on some services. We paid everyone in cash and both of the people I spoke with said that they do not get the full rate and that even what they do get is taxed....

Like I said, we removed all cost, be it their flat rate or the recommended 15% on some services. We paid everyone in cash and both of the people I spoke with said that they do not get the full rate and that even what they do get is taxed....

What other services have 15% added on besides drinks? And since you had Cheers you couldn’t remove that. Don’t even think you can opt out if you pay as you go.

What other services have 15% added on besides drinks? And since you had Cheers you couldn’t remove that. Don’t even think you can opt out if you pay as you go.

Cheers is locked in.

A few our of friends did it during the week.

We actually opted out Sat morning after I spoke to both our waiter and cabin steward and asked which was better.......... They both said 100% would be cash

Cheers is locked in.

A few our of friends did it during the week.

We actually opted out Sat morning after I spoke to both our waiter and cabin steward and asked which was better.......... They both said 100% would be cash

A few of your friends did what during the week?

A few of your friends did what during the week?

Request to not pay for wait staff or their cabin steward, instead wishing to tip them as they felt needed. They cleared their bill of all charges except Cheers.......... When one cruiser was asked to explain why all he said was because it clearly states these fees other than Cheers are the recommended rates or whatever, not sure.

But once we found out they did it and checked with our waiter and steward, we did the same

Request to not pay for wait staff or their cabin steward, instead wishing to tip them as they felt needed. They cleared their bill of all charges except Cheers.......... When one cruiser was asked to explain why all he said was because it clearly states these fees other than Cheers are the recommended rates or whatever, not sure.

But once we found out they did it and checked with our waiter and steward, we did the same

Oh OK. The people behind the scenes that are part of the automatic gratuities wouldn’t agree, but since it’s your right to do so, then rock on. How much in “extra tips” did you end up giving out for the week? Also I’m still wondering as to what other services put on 15% that you can opt out of? I can’t recall any besides maybe the Spa and bar, but the bar gratuity can’t be adjusted at least that I know of. You have me curious.

I personnally removed 3 nights of dining team (we had YTD, 3 x 6.40$) because we ate at Steakhouse or Seafood Shack or Cucina. I dont consider myself cheap...

Ah. The cheap cruisers.

How so, we paid both our waiter and cabin steward the same exact amount that Carnival charged us for their service, but instead, we paid them in cash, thus Carnival and the Govt do not take any of their hard earned money. Both said they would rather have the cash, not even close...…..

Never mind the times we threw them extra money in tips throughout the week

I will be on Pride next week

Looking forward to having a good time...

away from work..not cooking... being on vacation

Having drinks

We all had a very relaxing and fun filled trip. Yeah, there were some pros and cons but overall an awesome time.

Dr. E really pulls that ship

WHY? It's an actual recent and honest review of the Pride?

What's your problem?

Chill. I have no problem. I can easily see this topic going from a review to a debate on tipping.Those debates get ugly and lead to deletion.

This will be just a quick review, I will answer any and all questions about the Pride and her stops, Grand Turk, Half Moon Caye and Freeport.

Parking: Piece ofcake, pulled in around 12:30 and we were on the boat within a half hour or so. Got off the boat, into my car, few left turns and on Rt 95 within minutes. Perfect.

Boat: Yes, the boat needs some tender love and a few coats of paint and is heading to dry-dock soon. With that being said, I thought the ship was spotless just a bit worn out. Thought the pools were too small.

Food: Guys was awesome, had at least 6 burgers there, last burger was a bit too greasy for me, could squeeze some grease out of the bun if you dared. But overall, awesome and great fries as well.

Blue Iguana was a pleasant surprise and for most of the trip had a bigger line than Guys. Tacos/Burritosand salad bowls were all fresh and tasted great.

Pizza, it’s not NYC pizza but I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. Sometimes the wait could be long because they make it to order.

Buffett was more like college café food, some days better than others. Chopsticks hit some out of the park on some days though. Overall it was just OK.

Main Dining Room, we learned early on to order two entrees. Some were outstanding, some were OK and some were just really bad, worse than what they serve at the highschools, shocking to a degree. I tended to also order that the flat iron steak as my consistent backup plan. Most of the 30 in my group started doing the same. Overall we all agreed it was too inconsistent.

Table for 30 was well taken care of, most nights we had either 3 tables of 10 or those two long tables when you first walk in that seat 14 or so each.

Also, a nice hack is shorts and dressed down is allowed or tolerated on elegant nights after 8:15.

Cheers: Was not worth it in our eyes, found myself at times forcing myself to drink or get some drinks for my friends, YES, I know sharing isn’t allowed, opps.

Entertainment was caught between high school and college drama clubs. There was some good talent and singers no doubt, but as a group I felt they were average and the productions, although well-choreographed,seemed to have a very limited budget.

The only thing that pumped the entertainment up was Dr. E. I have to give this guy some props,he worked his tail off running from place to place within minutes to run something else. His passion and effort is second to none and without him Pride would be a disaster. I actually spoke to him several times, awesome person and the real deal, is 110% all Carnival and making everyone happy.

Ports:

Grand Turk, I could picture the beach without the hundreds of chairs and umbrellas jammed in side by side to be amazing, but they crammed too much into such a small place. Very rocky with dead coral and all when you enter the water. Water was beautiful. Nice to have Jack’s down the beach and Margaretville right there as well. Overall it was fine.

Half Moon Caye was stunning. I have been to many beaches around the world and I must say the beach, space, shallowness, color and calmness of the water here was INSANE! Best all-around I have ever seen. PERFECT. Cabana was icing on the cake

Freeport is nothing more than an industrial port when you get off the ship. We took a cab to a beach that was so pretty and perfect. You need to get away as far from the port as possible, so much more tooffer.

Tips: Some in my crew felt the 15% added to your bill may be too high if the actual workers arenot getting the full 15%. In speaking with our waiter and cabin steward, it turns out that they actually prefer cash,so we took those two off our bill and paid both the same amount but in cash. Both were extremely grateful and I will not repeat what they stated to me on here, but they see a fraction of that 15%, and have to pay taxes on what little they get after Carnival takes their share.

Overall it was a relaxing and enjoyable cruise. Everyone is up for a cruise next year on a different ship with different ports so we are researching our options now.

The above are my honest opinions, if you don’t like them, that’s fine, I am not here to argue with anyone. If anyone has any questions about the Pride or the stops mentioned, fire away.

Glad to hear you had a good cruise. Having 30 people in a group can be very challenging and hard to relax.

I also order the flat iron steak a lot as a back up :)

Thanks for your review. Do I remember correctly that this was your first cruise? Pride is a ship, and the life boats are attached to it;) Ship/boat is something people get picky about sometimes.

Boat: Yes, the boat needs some tender love and a few coats of paint and is heading to dry-dock soon. With that being said, I thought the ship was spotless just a bit worn out. Thought the pools were too small. Most ship pools are small - there just isn't the space logistically to have large pools.

Buffett was more like college café food, some days better than others. Chopsticks hit some out of the park on some days though. Overall it was just OK. I'll have to give Chopsticks another try, thanks for the input.

Table for 30 was well taken care of, most nights we had either 3 tables of 10 or those two long tables when you first walk in that seat 14 or so each. Glad you were able to get your desired seating.

Cheers: Was not worth it in our eyes, found myself at times forcing myself to drink or get some drinks for my friends, YES, I know sharing isn’t allowed, opps. We suspect we would force ourselves to drink if we had the package, so we are good paying as we go.

Ports:

Tips: Some in my crew felt the 15% added to your bill may be too high if the actual workers arenot getting the full 15%. In speaking with our waiter and cabin steward, it turns out that they actually prefer cash,so we took those two off our bill and paid both the same amount but in cash. Both were extremely grateful and I will not repeat what they stated to me on here, but they see a fraction of that 15%, and have to pay taxes on what little they get after Carnival takes their share. My understanding was that employees reviews suffer if gratuities are removed (plus behind the scenes staff then don't receive anything). I consider the suggested gratuities to be a daily service charge and reasonable for what Carnival states it covers. We then also cash tip those who we feel went above in making our trip more pleasant and memorable. We also note them in writing when given the opportunity since positive guest reviews can affect performance reviews/promotions/benefits.

I'm glad you and your group enjoyed your cruise.