Must See/Do in TPA (Restaurants/Nightlife)

MistyRo76

Cruising out of TPA for the first time next April. Have narrowed down hotel options to the Marriott Waterside, Hilton Tampa Downtown and the Hampton Inn & Suites. Looking now for recommendations for things to do, places to eat in the Downtown and/or Ybor City area.

My husband really loves Cuban food. And since we're going on a Cuba cruise, it would be appropriate to start our trip off with a Cuban dinner. Has anyone been to the Columbia Restaurant? Or is there another restaurant that is not to be missed (Cuban or not, but prefer something local and not a national chain)?

My husband is also a pipe/cigar aficionado and I hear there is a good cigar scene in the area. Any place that we should check out?

Looking for any and all recommendations for a nice evening out in Tampa!

Thanks, Misty

For cigars, Ybor City without a doubt. It is also where Columbia is located and we eat there or the one in Sarasota every time we are on the west coast. One of my top five restaurants anywhere. Order the paella and sangria. The sangria they make table side and the paella takes 45 minutes. So worth it!

If you don't have a budget, eat at Berns.

For cigars, Ybor City without a doubt. It is also where Columbia is located and we eat there or the one in Sarasota every time we are on the west coast. One of my top five restaurants anywhere. Order the paella and sangria. The sangria they make table side and the paella takes 45 minutes. So worth it!

If you don't have a budget, eat at Berns.

Thank you! Glad to hear the feedback on Columbia. I was looking over their menu and my mouth was already watering! Berns looks amazing too! But it might break the bank for us! LOL Plus up here in Cincinnati, we don't have many (if any) options for a good Cuban meal. So Columbia is definitely at the top of the heap for now!

Thank you! Glad to hear the feedback on Columbia. I was looking over their menu and my mouth was already watering! Berns looks amazing too! But it might break the bank for us! LOL Plus up here in Cincinnati, we don't have many (if any) options for a good Cuban meal. So Columbia is definitely at the top of the heap for now!

Completely worth the binge! Note that Columbia is actually a Cuban AND Spanish restaurant. That's why the paella is so good.

Don't go there though and order a Cuban. In Tampa you can get a good Cuban literally anywhere.

Completely worth the binge! Note that Columbia is actually a Cuban AND Spanish restaurant. That's why the paella is so good.

Don't go there though and order a Cuban. In Tampa you can get a good Cuban literally anywhere.

Noted! I did note the Spanish influences in their menu. Which is great too! And I doubt my hubby would go for just a Cuban with so many other amazing options on the menu.

Do you have any recommendations for a good cigar bar in the area? Or somewhere to catch some live music? I’m really looking forward to a different cruise experience going out of Tampa. This will be cruise 18 and 15 of those have gone out of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale (the others were Port Canaveral and Long Beach). Tampa seems like a great place to cruise from. I had to visit a client there last fall and was amazed at how easy it was to get around. Seemed like we were downtown within minutes from the airport!

Tampa cruise notes

- MOST IMPORTANT ... I note you will sail in April .... this is in the time of the year when fog can occasionally be an issue. Not all the time but when it does get bad .... well I've seen the port close for 3 days with cruise ships sitting outside waiting. The area has a past history of nasty accidents with ships and fog so they are VERY careful. Flexible travel plans can ease stress should this occur . . .

- from the time the ship leaves the pier it is usually around 90 minutes to get to the Skyway bridge - the clearance height of this bridge is what limits cruise ship size for Tampa ..... fun to be on deck when going under

- Columbia is open for lunch and dinner but the rest of YBOR is really a 'nighttime' entertainment area. For dinner you want a reservation. I've gotten in without but a ressie is better. The YBOR entertainment area is really all on a stretch of E 7th Ave from 13st to the east end where Columbia is ... 22nd st. Most parking is one ave to either side .... I would not venture too far out of this area on foot at night ..... it is considered safe to take the trolley from the Riverwalk area to YBOR.

- BERNs can break the bank, but doesn't have to. A good steak, (which includes soup, salad, veg and tater) and a glass of wine is not a bank breaker. You CAN easily spend a BUNCH but you don't have to. It is also more than just dinner ... ask to tour the kitchen and wine cellar (a real cellar). You can go crazy with wine here if desired. Arguably the largest rest' wine list in the world. And don't forget dessert, which is served in a completely sep' dining room. You make reservations for each alone ... or together. That is, you CAN go just to the dessert room if you want to .... https://bernssteakhouse.com/

- Riverwalk is a nice area day or night .... and there is a water taxi that can bring you back if a one way walk was enuf! NOTE there is a second Columbia location in the Tampa Bay History Center on Riverwalk. It does not have the full menu, but the important stuff is there and the location is overlooking the river ..... http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/Menus-By-Location/Locations/Tampa-Bay-History-Center

- don't be tempted by "Channelside" ... this former entertainment area is KAPUT and portions are scheduled for demolition .... btw this is next to the cruise terminals ....

and lastly, checkout the FREE ride service for the downtown area. Kinda like UBER, but no charge! (does not cover YBOR however)

https://www.tampasdowntown.com/getting-around/free-ride-service/

service-area.png

Tampa cruise notes

- MOST IMPORTANT ... I note you will sail in April .... this is in the time of the year when fog can occasionally be an issue. Not all the time but when it does get bad .... well I've seen the port close for 3 days with cruise ships sitting outside waiting. The area has a past history of nasty accidents with ships and fog so they are VERY careful. Flexible travel plans can ease stress should this occur . . .

- from the time the ship leaves the pier it is usually around 90 minutes to get to the Skyway bridge - the clearance height of this bridge is what limits cruise ship size for Tampa ..... fun to be on deck when going under

- Columbia is open for lunch and dinner but the rest of YBOR is really a 'nighttime' entertainment area. For dinner you want a reservation. I've gotten in without but a ressie is better. The YBOR entertainment area is really all on a stretch of E 7th Ave from 13st to the east end where Columbia is ... 22nd st. Most parking is one ave to either side .... I would not venture too far out of this area on foot at night ..... it is considered safe to take the trolley from the Riverwalk area to YBOR.

- BERNs can break the bank, but doesn't have to. A good steak, (which includes soup, salad, veg and tater) and a glass of wine is not a bank breaker. You CAN easily spend a BUNCH but you don't have to. It is also more than just dinner ... ask to tour the kitchen and wine cellar (a real cellar). You can go crazy with wine here if desired. Arguably the largest rest' wine list in the world. And don't forget dessert, which is served in a completely sep' dining room. You make reservations for each alone ... or together. That is, you CAN go just to the dessert room if you want to .... https://bernssteakhouse.com/

- Riverwalk is a nice area day or night .... and there is a water taxi that can bring you back if a one way walk was enuf! NOTE there is a second Columbia location in the Tampa Bay History Center on Riverwalk. It does not have the full menu, but the important stuff is there and the location is overlooking the river ..... http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/Menus-By-Location/Locations/Tampa-Bay-History-Center

- don't be tempted by "Channelside" ... this former entertainment area is KAPUT and portions are scheduled for demolition .... btw this is next to the cruise terminals ....

and lastly, checkout the FREE ride service for the downtown area. Kinda like UBER, but no charge! (does not cover YBOR however)

https://www.tampasdowntown.com/getting-around/free-ride-service/

service-area.png

Thank you for all of this great info! Maybe we will have to check out Bern's for dessert at least. It does sound amazing and I'm sure we would love it. I think I could manage to not break the bank there, but the hubby might be a different story! Once he starts reading the menu, he might lose all control! lol

Any thoughts on hotels? I've narrowed it down to the Marriott Waterside, Hilton Downtown and Hampton Inn & Suites Ybor City. I know the Hampton in Ybor would put us right near all the action. And the free hot breakfast is an added bonus. I also know, we would probably pay more for the other two. But they look much nicer. And although their location isn't ideal for what we want to do, they appear to be a quick Uber or trolley ride away. Plus I love the pool areas and outdoor dining/entertainment spaces the Marriott and Hilton have.