Anxiety over booking

styme123

I'm looking into booking a cruise this Aug 2018 for the British Isles on Royal Princess. I'm just having a lot of anxiety about committing to booking it for some reason. It's 4 months away. What if something happens and I can't go? All those deposits, airfare, excursions that were booked? I called about trip insurance, but my husband recently had heart surgery in Jan so they said if it was canceled due to his health they wouldn't cover it since it's a pre-existing condition.

The price for the cruise is pretty decent, but could I save any more money if I wait it out? I would hate to see it drop in price after I booked. It's a good bit of money for me so making the investment in it makes me a little nervous. What if the cruise stinks? meaning the ship experience is not a good one. (I've been reading through some reviews, some people have not had good luck) I tend to get a little impulsive with purchases at times so I'm trying to think of all the angles before I book it. Do others get nervous as well?

Booking a cruise with all the expenses involved can be a bit overwhelming.

Was it the cruiseline that you asked your questions about insurance? If so go to the website for Insure My Trip and call them. We never buy my insurance through the cruise line because you can get better coverage for less money through a third party.

Normally most travel insurance will waive pre-existing conditions if the insurance is purchased within 14 days of booking the cruise.

Have a wonderful cruise!!

Was it the cruiseline that you asked your questions about insurance? If so go to the website for Insure My Trip and call them. We never buy my insurance through the cruise line because you can get better coverage for less money through a third party.

Normally most travel insurance will waive pre-existing conditions if the insurance is purchased within 14 days of booking the cruise.

What GTO Girl just said. I purchase insurance that covers pre-existing conditions if bought within 21 days of the booking date.

Roz

I'm looking into booking a cruise this Aug 2018

for the British Isles on Royal Princess.

Do others get nervous as well?

I have been dealing with anxiety over booking for years.

It's part of the fun.:p

I wish you the best !

Michael

If the cruise price drops in price before final payment, most cruise lines honor it but you may lose promotional perks.

I was hesitant about booking a cruise this year so I booked airfare through cruise line for the first time and it's not due until final payment. I didn't get insurance and can still can get before final payment. It covers preexisting conditions but is secondary so that could be a hassle. If I do this again, I probably would get the insurance sooner. So I have only paid deposit currently and final payment is due early April. I am watching airfare and it's not much of a difference in what I am currently paying. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

It was with Allianze (sp?) I used them for a trip to Alaska but that was before the heart issues this January.

If you live in the US, many travel insurance policies (such as TravelGuard and TravelSafe) offer policies that cover pre-existing conditions if you purchase insurance within 14-21 days (depends on policy) after you pay your first deposit on the trip.

I was surprised to find out how much coverage I had through my credit card when I checked it this year.

I still have to buy trip insurance, but I mainly purchase for medical coverage and evacuation.

Generali Travel Insurance (used to be CSA) has a plan with pre existing coverages until final payment. https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/view-travel-insurance-plans.html

When is your final payment for your August cruise due? You can get coverages for pre existing up until then, but of course, if you want the cancellation coverages you should book within 48hrs of making your 1st cruise payment.

Generali Travel Insurance (used to be CSA) has a plan with pre existing coverages until final payment. https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/view-travel-insurance-plans.html

When is your final payment for your August cruise due? You can get coverages for pre existing up until then, but of course, if you want the cancellation coverages you should book within 48hrs of making your 1st cruise payment.

My deposit is due tomorrow and final payment at the end of May.

• 2 weeks later...
I honestly wouldn't expect the price to go down this close to cruising and especially not in August as summer cruises are more popular!

Regarding cruise price going down, you never

know.

We took a British Isle cruise last Aug and had

the Beverage package. We decided to trade it

in and get the difference back and apply it to

the fare.

This was on Princess and was after the final

payment.

When I called to do this they were so nice and

helpful. I ended up getting over $1000 as the

price of the cruise had dropped also.

As we had made the final payment, they just

credited our account.

Then the funny thing is they had over booked

and offered us a good deal to not take that cruise. If we had still been in the U.S. we probably would have taken the deal.

However, we were already in the U.K. and just

wanted to go on the cruise.

Had the best time, even though it rained every

day. But, not all day most days.

Was fun going to Ireland & Scotland where

our ancestors migrated from.

One other tip, to get to the Port, Dover in our case, we took BlackBerry car service.

At our age 74 we Didn't want the Hassel of the train or bus. They picked us up on time and delivered us to the ship.

Was about $100 or less for 2 people. Pleasent

drive with a very nice young man from Poland.

Well worth the money to us.

On the travel insurance, look into ( cancel for any reason ). That would give you piece of mind

to enjoy your trip.

Who knows if you will have another chance.

Tropicqueen

The easy solution to the anxiety problem is to not book :). Otherwise, the OP needs to learn how to deal with their own internal demons.

Hank

I guess anxiety is a stronger word. I think I should have used conflicted instead ;). Being new to cruising I'm just trying to avoid making "rookie" mistakes that can be costly. I always value hearing what others have to say and their advice and perspectives. I take it all in and then make my own choice that fits me best.

Regarding cruise price going down, you never

know.

We took a British Isle cruise last Aug and had

the Beverage package. We decided to trade it

in and get the difference back and apply it to

the fare.

This was on Princess and was after the final

payment.

When I called to do this they were so nice and

helpful. I ended up getting over $1000 as the

price of the cruise had dropped also.

As we had made the final payment, they just

credited our account.

Then the funny thing is they had over booked

and offered us a good deal to not take that cruise. If we had still been in the U.S. we probably would have taken the deal.

However, we were already in the U.K. and just

wanted to go on the cruise.

Had the best time, even though it rained every

day. But, not all day most days.

Was fun going to Ireland & Scotland where

our ancestors migrated from.

One other tip, to get to the Port, Dover in our case, we took BlackBerry car service.

At our age 74 we Didn't want the Hassel of the train or bus. They picked us up on time and delivered us to the ship.

Was about $100 or less for 2 people. Pleasent

drive with a very nice young man from Poland.

Well worth the money to us.

On the travel insurance, look into ( cancel for any reason ). That would give you piece of mind

to enjoy your trip.

Who knows if you will have another chance.

Tropicqueen

Did you do the 12 or 8 day cruise?

Been there, done that.

We booked a 17 day Canal cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles about 15 months ago and bought insurance from Princess when we paid the deposit.

Final payment day came and we paid it in full.

Then about 3 weeks later my doctor said the only sailing I should be doing is my little toy sailboat in the bathtub. (Foot issue as well as a diverticulitis issue.)

I called Princess to start the insurance claim process and was told that they would refund the whole ball of wax immediately without involving the insurance company. They did exactly that and the payment refunds arrived 2 days later. Easy peasy.

I guess anxiety is a stronger word. I think I should have used conflicted instead ;). Being new to cruising I'm just trying to avoid making "rookie" mistakes that can be costly. I always value hearing what others have to say and their advice and perspectives. I take it all in and then make my own choice that fits me best.

Rookie mistakes? For what its worth we are no rookies (been traveling extensively for about fifty years) and we still make mistakes.....sometimes big ones. Most of the time you just "suck it up." call it a learning experience, and move on with a smile. I could write a book about all the mistakes we have made doing mostly independent travel around the world. Hope it all works out for you.

Hank

Did you do the 12 or 8 day cruise?

We did the 8 day on Pacific

Princess. We missed our first

stop as we were late leaving

Dover. There was a electrical

problem on the ship.

They reimbursed us $150.

Quite a few folks had booked

this cruise to get to go to Gernsie. So, we're not happy about that.

Still had a wonderful time

Tropicqueen