Another FIGHT on Cruise ship in Australian waters

buchhalm

http://www.smh.com.au/national/violence-reported-on-cruise-ship-carnival-legend-on-way-to-melbourne-20180215-p4z0jz.html

The above is a link to a news report that popped up this morning.

A violent fight between passengers on a Carnival ship.

Just as shocking as the fighting passengers is the behaviour of the CREW. Staff, including officers and crew in security uniforms are seeing punching and kicking people on the ground and more than one crew member can be seen attacking bystanders who are filming the chaos on their phones. Badly handled.

Unfortunately the cruise lines can't pick and choose their passengers and, from what I've read, there was one very nasty group of people on that cruise who were intimidating other passengers and picking fights until the inevitable happened. :mad:

BUT

Those scenes of the cruise ship officers and security staff kicking those people were shocking. I hope Carnival Australia comes down very heavily on those crew members. :eek:

I'm not going to judge any staff member there.

A lot of them were not security and just like if a shop assistant or any other worker starts getting beaten up and may react in self defence, it appears that was the case here. And the protagonist that was getting kicked appears very solid and appears to have been attacking/squashing others so also some may have been trying to get him to release others.

It's really hard to watch. Also very sad because when you go on vacation..especially a cruise..you expect to be able to sail away from it all and be able to enjoy it in peace and tranquillity but I suppose that is not realistic. Real life..in terms of violence and bullies (if that is indeed the cause) can follow you wherever you go..I feel for everyone who was not able to have the cruise they looked forward to having.

Cruise lines can't choose their passengers it's true and sometimes things escalate quickly and I suppose the test is in how and how quickly it's dealt with..I imagine they are trained in how to handle all types of situations on board...

That has to be the most inept and poorly trained security force I have ever seen..

Hands down.... the worst.

I hope the cruise lines use this as a training film, on how not to manage a violent crowd.

Some of those portly men could have subdued that bloke on the floor, rather than putting the boots to him. Body weight?? Tasers??

And did I read the article correctly?? There had been some ongoing animosity with this group of people since embarkation??? Why was it not managed then??

Proactive vs Reactive

Almost turns me off Cruiseing

Last cruise there was a group of unsavoury Australian adults with a couple of kids way past their bedtime.the adults we giving the kids strong alcohol and telling them to get up and effing dance.

One was only about 10.

Fortunately security was all over them.

The language and what a scene.

• 1 month later...

Do they get any training at all? I am a woman and I used to work in a psych hospital. Unfortunately it is sometimes necessary to totally restrain someone on the floor to avoid them hurting themselves and others. It is very simple for a group of four or five people no matter their size to restrain someone on the ground without injuring the person or themselves. It takes training and coordination though, something that appears to be totally lacking here.

Sent from my iPad using Forums