Cruising with small children and LGBT group travel

Seahawkie

Thank to all of you who shared your cruise experiences. I honestly did not mean to stir up any debates or being insensitive, I found out it was a group sponsored by LGBT and thus stated as such. I don't know how large the group is, however, with kids being as young as 7 my concern is she may be too young to understand and ask questions I'm not ready to answer yet :) Plus what other cruisers mentioned about large groups can take over venues, I never thought of that so thank you for the insight. I have until August to cancel the cruise so I'll look at other possible dates and itenerary, the only thing is we just booked airplane tickets last week so I have to look into that as well. Thank you again.

You had your doubts about this cruise so why not look for another choice right now and book it.

Thanksgiving cruises book up fast especially for triple/quad cabins.

Groups can effect your onboard cruise experience .

with kids being as young as 7 my concern is she may be too young to understand and ask questions I'm not ready to answer yet :)

Chances are, at that age, your kids will be as understanding as you are, and probably have more answers than questions for you.

But, your family, your choice.

Chances are, at that age, your kids will be as understanding as you are, and probably have more answers than questions for you.

But, your family, your choice.

I’d be surprised that a school aged child wouldn’t be aware of homosexuality, I don’t think there was a period when my kids didn’t know about these things, including gender issues.

I’d be surprised that a school aged child wouldn’t be aware of homosexuality, I don’t think there was a period when my kids didn’t know about these things, including gender issues.

This is one thing I wouldn't worry about.....Its the number in the group and the activities that they have planned that might be of a concern

We were on a Silhouette cruise in January that had a large LGBT group. I could tell only because I'm an adult. I saw no PDAs that would have confused a child. The only venue I saw booked for their party was the Sky Lounge after sail away. We were in the Sky Lounge for sail away and when we went to leave the door was closed and when we opened it to get out saw a sign that said it was reserved for a private party. It did not affect our cruise and I wouldn't have felt uncomfortable with young children.

Obviously I offended a couple of people here when I honestly stated that I wouldn't want my children around Hate Groups.

Since they're not smart enough to distinguish what a hate group is, I'll expand further by saying LGBT is NOT a hate group. KKK, White Nationalist, Anti-LGBT,and Neo-**** are examples of hate groups.

I'm going to give you a chance to keep digging yourself into the hole.

Why do you feel a LGBT group is NOT a hate group but an Anti-LGBT group is a hate group? Is it because you agree with one and not the other?

You opened this political issue...let's see you dig your way out of it.

I think the OP's question eluded to "is it going to be such a big group that they are going take over public rooms/activities etc." The answer is most likely, "no" Friends have sailed with PP a few times and mentioned the group has been as small as 8 or 10, rarely more then 20-ish. Not quite the same a a "group charter". I would not want to take a cruise on a ship that any group chartered for 600-800-ish. In that instance they do kind of "take over" the ship, but we've been on some cruises where some group of 20-30ish have been one and had no impact on the rest of the passengers other than 1 corner of 1 lounge was reserved for them every evening at cocktail hour.

I think the OP's question eluded to "is it going to be such a big group that they are going take over public rooms/activities etc." The answer is most likely, "no" Friends have sailed with PP a few times and mentioned the group has been as small as 8 or 10, rarely more then 20-ish. Not quite the same a a "group charter". I would not want to take a cruise on a ship that any group chartered for 600-800-ish. In that instance they do kind of "take over" the ship, but we've been on some cruises where some group of 20-30ish have been one and had no impact on the rest of the passengers other than 1 corner of 1 lounge was reserved for them every evening at cocktail hour.

No, I don’t think that’s it...

e have kids range from 7-13 years old, and I'm curious if this would be an appropriate environment for them

don't know how large the group is, however, with kids being as young as 7 my concern is she may be too young to understand and ask questions I'm not ready to answer yet

I hint the concern the OP has is because of what type of group it is.

Thank to all of you who shared your cruise experiences. I honestly did not mean to stir up any debates or being insensitive, I found out it was a group sponsored by LGBT and thus stated as such. I don't know how large the group is, however, with kids being as young as 7 my concern is she may be too young to understand and ask questions I'm not ready to answer yet :) Plus what other cruisers mentioned about large groups can take over venues, I never thought of that so thank you for the insight. I have until August to cancel the cruise so I'll look at other possible dates and itenerary, the only thing is we just booked airplane tickets last week so I have to look into that as well. Thank you again.

Speaking as a teacher of 7-8 year olds, you would be surprised how curious and how understanding children can be. I read a book (aimed at their age group) called 'The boy in the dress' by David Walliams to my class last year. By the end the really empathised with the main character and we discussed how we felt about it.There are websites to help parents discuss these issues if that helps.

Speaking as a teacher of 7-8 year olds, you would be surprised how curious and how understanding children can be. I read a book (aimed at their age group) called 'The boy in the dress' by David Walliams to my class last year. By the end the really empathised with the main character and we discussed how we felt about it.There are websites to help parents discuss these issues if that helps.

I was thinking the same thing. My daughter has been a pre-school teacher/instructional coach for pre-school teachers for more than 10 years and many years there have been kids with 2 mommies or 2 daddies in her classes. At least in a large city (Washington DC) and its suburbs kids take it in stride. It gives me hope for the future!

We booked the Nov 24th (post Thanksgiving) cruise on Celebrity Equinox several months ago, but just found out today that this cruise is part of the Pied Piper travel group for LGBT. We get along with anyone, however, we'll be travelling with 3 children. If anyone has travelled on similar cruise, can you please share your experience with us? We have kids range from 7-13 years old, and I'm curious if this would be an appropriate environment for them. Please don't take this question the wrong way, this is a first cruise for us and I want it to be a good experience for everyone. Thanks in advance.

Yes, large groups tend to take over certain parts of the ship....I've only been on 1 & I was part of the large group.

Since you have 3 children, maybe looking at a different cruise line that has more to entertain children. We were on the Equinox in Feb. I really didn't see as much on that ship for kids as I have seen on others (Carnival).

Perhaps there is a evangelical cruise that would be more to your liking. :rolleyes:

I don't think that comment is really fair or needed. I actually know of many individuals and groups that support LGBT communities and are evangelical. There are also times where they are one and the same.

On a more related note...the Equinox is a really stunning ship. She is a good size to find your own space or join the party.

" I don't know how large the group is, however, with kids being as young as 7 my concern is she may be too young to understand and ask questions I'm not ready to answer yet :)"

I'm with the folks who advise to be careful about big groups, but I just HAVE to share a moment from my parenting past. Adults were watching "Victor, Victoria" and the little one (probably about 7) walked through the room just at the scene in a gay (male) ballroom. She looked, noticed something off, gave a little gasp, and asked, "Why are men dancing with men?" My hubby looked at me with that "how you gonna handle this one, dear?" look, and I turned to the child and said, "Because they want to." She shrugged "OK" and moved on.

Sometimes, you need to remember to just answer the question in the simplest way possible. When they want MORE details, they'll let you know.

We booked the Nov 24th (post Thanksgiving) cruise on Celebrity Equinox several months ago, but just found out today that this cruise is part of the Pied Piper travel group for LGBT. We get along with anyone, however, we'll be travelling with 3 children. If anyone has travelled on similar cruise, can you please share your experience with us? We have kids range from 7-13 years old, and I'm curious if this would be an appropriate environment for them. Please don't take this question the wrong way, this is a first cruise for us and I want it to be a good experience for everyone. Thanks in advance.

How did you find out this information?

I grew up in a small town and currently live in a different small town. Outside of the old tv show Three's Company I really wasn't aware of homosexuality as a child and I don't remember anyone living it openly (although I assume there were some), and gender issues were not a common subject either - although girls were often called Tom-boys. My children have not had a lot of exposure either, again based on where we live.

" I don't know how large the group is, however, with kids being as young as 7 my concern is she may be too young to understand and ask questions I'm not ready to answer yet :)"

I'm with the folks who advise to be careful about big groups, but I just HAVE to share a moment from my parenting past. Adults were watching "Victor, Victoria" and the little one (probably about 7) walked through the room just at the scene in a gay (male) ballroom. She looked, noticed something off, gave a little gasp, and asked, "Why are men dancing with men?" My hubby looked at me with that "how you gonna handle this one, dear?" look, and I turned to the child and said, "Because they want to." She shrugged "OK" and moved on.

Sometimes, you need to remember to just answer the question in the simplest way possible. When they want MORE details, they'll let you know.

Well done, Mom:)

It seems that this thread has taken of a "life" of what kind of group this is. That shouldn't matter. You step outside your door and you are automatically exposed to all components of life...or lifestyles. I would focus more on the size of the group, and whether or not it would impact my cruise experience. But, being the OP's first cruise. they have nothing to compare it to. Whereas, I would suggest to them to try another cruise, less the group, to get a true cruise experience, then going forward IF another group books their same sailing, then, they can decide if they want to continue with it or change it.

We would think twice about any group. It is not the type of group that would concern us but rather the size of the group. Large groups tend to dominate the entire cruise and take over or limit certain venues. Exposing our children to any group on a ship would not be the issue for us. No point in shielding them from the real world.

We were on the week after Thanksgiving in 2007 with our then 6 year old with this group. I'd say they were about 30% to 40% of the passengers on board. My son, didn't really notice anything at that age. It didn't really affect our cruise, we ran into some on our excursion in Belize and they are friendly folks. Actually one gentleman sent us photos after he got home of our family. They did take up a few venues on the cruise with their group. I'd say any age above 8 or 9 they may be asking you a few questions.