Help with BARCELONMA HOTELS

palamoh

Hotel 1898 for us. Beautiful property; just don't book a room facing LaRambla!

For us as well...love the location and the staff is very helpful...and they have a fun "event" each night at the cocktail hour. LuAnn

If you didn't have enough suggestions, here is another, The Cotton House. It's a Marriott Autograph collection hotel right near Placa de Catalunya. It was new when we stayed there in 2015 and just beautiful. Lots of history in the building & the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Location was fabulous, we were able to walk to all the major tourist spots and even walked to the beach!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In 2012 we stayed at the Hotel Colon. It is situated opposite the Gothic Cathedral with good reasonably priced Spanish restaurants(ie local Spanish were eating there) in the Cathedral Square It had very helpful staff, clean comfortable rooms and was close to a Hop on Hop off bus stop. I would stay there again. We didn't have any meals there preferring the nearby cafes.

Hotel Colon is our choice too. I understand that it has recently been renovated-even better!

As Jim and Stan wrote, the ARTS is fantastic and in a wonderful location with large rooms, fantastic service,

food and ocean and city views.

Personally we would never consider the area right around or on Las Ramblas to be a good one after many visits to Barcelona

We plan on staying in Barcelona for 7nights post cruise.

I notice none of the posters above mentioned what they paid per night, Are any of the mentioned hotels $200 per night or less?

Is the ARTS in a safe area? And Ok for my 2 teenage nieces (17 and 19) to walk around Barcelona alone at night? They are not shy, and make friends easily. ;) And it will be their first time, and ours, to Barcelona.

Thanks.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

If you didn't have enough suggestions, here is another, The Cotton House. It's a Marriott Autograph collection hotel right near Placa de Catalunya. It was new when we stayed there in 2015 and just beautiful. Lots of history in the building & the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Location was fabulous, we were able to walk to all the major tourist spots and even walked to the beach!

if your wise enough to get a Marriott Credit card from chase and pay for your cruise, you get 60,000 points ( good for 2-3 free nights and 5 Xthe $ in points for your stay, and Marriott Silver status..+ a free hotel night every year.. If your going to travel and want to do it over the years, get into the Marriott Program or another Hotel and stick to those...it will pay off in spades... Never spend a dollar that you do not get at least $1.25 in value back Same with airlines find 1 and stick with it for all activity. her is an example of what you can to in a short time of collecting Airline points and Hotel points..... Fly LA to Paris stay at Marriott Opera hotel for 3 nights, ( 500 a night ) Round trip in Swiss air and Lufthansa in Business 2 nights in Lyon marriott. total value received $8700.00 cost $156.00 out of my pocket.... You can do it too

Arc la ramble might be $200/night. Prices on their own website are start at 128Euro in July. Rooms are small, but clean and comfortable...I'm not sure if they have quad rooms. great Location...at end of La Rambla near water. Check their website!

Thanks! I’ll check their online site.

if your wise enough to get a Marriott Credit card from chase and pay for your cruise, you get 60,000 points ( good for 2-3 free nights and 5 Xthe $ in points for your stay, and Marriott Silver status..+ a free hotel night every year.. If your going to travel and want to do it over the years, get into the Marriott Program or another Hotel and stick to those...it will pay off in spades... Never spend a dollar that you do not get at least $1.25 in value back Same with airlines find 1 and stick with it for all activity. her is an example of what you can to in a short time of collecting Airline points and Hotel points..... Fly LA to Paris stay at Marriott Opera hotel for 3 nights, ( 500 a night ) Round trip in Swiss air and Lufthansa in Business 2 nights in Lyon marriott. total value received $8700.00 cost $156.00 out of my pocket.... You can do it too

Thanks.

I’ll look into it. I frequently stay at both Marriott and Hilton, and have loyalty points with both.

And Ok for my 2 teenage nieces (17 and 19) to walk around Barcelona alone at night? They are not shy, and make friends easily. ;) And it will be their first time, and ours, to Barcelona.Thanks.

Are you really serious that you would even consider allowing two teenage females to wander around a large, unfamiliar city at night by themselves?

Are you really serious that you would even consider allowing two teenage females to wander around a large, unfamiliar city at night by themselves?

Sure. Why not? Would you? Have you? Didn’t you back in the “good old days”? :confused:

They will just be walking around the tourist area on Las

Ramblas. So, is the tourist area dangerous? At night?

And, the girls have a strict curfew of 11:00 p,m. And their parents will be traveling with us.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Sure. Why not? Would you? Have you? Didn’t you back in the “good old days”? :confused:

And, the girls have a strict curfew of 11:00 p,m. And their parents will be traveling with us.

Even when it is just my hubby and me, we are extra careful when traveling. Language difference, money difference, possible no cell service, why risk it. And no way in heck I’d let 2 young women walk around by themselves. Do you not remember Natalie Holloway? Didn’t happen in Barcelona, but you know things like that really do happen you know.

So glad to hear that you found the location fabulous. We have a 2 night stay (on points) prior to our November cruise on Marina. Here's a very recent review with lots of photos and details

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/02/sew-good-a-review-of-cotton-house-hotel-in-barcelona/

So glad to hear that you found the location fabulous. We have a 2 night stay (on points) prior to our November cruise on Marina. Here's a very recent review with lots of photos and details

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/02/sew-good-a-review-of-cotton-house-hotel-in-barcelona/

Thanks for sharing the article. I agree with most of it. I didn't experience the thin walls, but I also wouldn't describe our room as large. We had hoped for an upgrade since my husband is platinum but could not get one and the one we had was small but it was very comfortable, especially the bed. We spent 3 nights pre-cruise & I wished we had been able to stay longer. I would not hesitate to return.

We plan on staying in Barcelona for 7nights post cruise.

I notice none of the posters above mentioned what they paid per night, Are any of the mentioned hotels $200 per night or less?

Is the ARTS in a safe area? And Ok for my 2 teenage nieces (17 and 19) to walk around Barcelona alone at night? They are not shy, and make friends easily. ;) And it will be their first time, and ours, to Barcelona.

Thanks.

To be honest and not insulting, Are you ought of your mind !!! Barcelona , last time I was there had a lot of seedy places with even more seedy people Spain has been in a huge recession and a lot of not happy/nice people come there.

They will make friends alright at night... real fast with the wrong sort... they will be prime targets.... and at night with the high crime in Barcelona??? Barcelona is NY with Tapas.

I would re think that real long and hard.

Would I...a guy walk around Barcelona at night...no way, not never

The good old days the world was different no drugs, low crime, honest moral people with ethics. The good old days are gone... welcome to reality.

The bad guys and girls come to the tourist areas for fresh meat...where they know there is little chance of them being prosecuted by a tourist from the US... they are aggressive and bold.

Lots of hookers, make and female walk those areas at night. Heck, south of downtown the hookers sit in barca loungers on the side of the road... Your girls will stick out like a sore thumb to any guy or guys looking for action and worse. Remember Holloway in Aruba??? That is a clean place compared to Barcelona..

Would I...a guy walk around Barcelona at night...no way, not never

The good old days the world was different no drugs, low crime, honest moral people with ethics. The good old days are gone... welcome to reality.

The bad guys and girls come to the tourist areas for fresh meat...where they know there is little chance of them being prosecuted by a tourist from the US... they are aggressive and bold.

Lots of hookers, make and female walk those areas at night. Heck, south of downtown the hookers sit in barca loungers on the side of the road... Your girls will stick out like a sore thumb to any guy or guys looking for action and worse. Remember Holloway in Aruba??? That is a clean place compared to Barcelona..

Sorry, you are going much too far with your fears. Stay at the Arts Hotel in Port Olympic and you will find the area is just as safe at night as during the day. As is a lot of other parts of the city. Still a great place to visit.

Sorry, you are going much too far with your fears. Stay at the Arts Hotel in Port Olympic and you will find the area is just as safe at night as during the day. As is a lot of other parts of the city. Still a great place to visit.

We read the following on Trip Advisor. Is this true?:

"During the day it is ok, although the wonderful quay side restaurants have been taken over by cheap and nasty bars. Avoid in the evening when it is primarily nightclubs and the place is full of security who seem to want to fight everyone. Such a shame."

I don’t believe any of us are trying to scare people from traveling to Barcelona, but come on use common sense. You are in a foreign country, be safe, and don’t take extra stupid risks. Like two teens walking around until 11:00pm.

For those that like historical B&B’s in nice areas we enjoyed our stay here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-s1-g187497-d2277324-Reviews-Circa_1905-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

It’s in Eixample, the high end area of Barcelona, near many fine non touristy restaurants. Eixample is a short walk from the Gothic quarter and near some of the Gaudi architectural sites. After three stays in Barcelona we finally have got it...visit the Gothic quarter, but get away from it for a nice evening and dinner.

Ok, after reading all the posts here, we rethought the idea of staying in Barcelona for a week, and pared it down to only three nights.

Also, when poster DD posts here warning the city is unsafe at night, we have decided not to allow our two teenage nieces to go out alone night, or day in Barcelona. From what most of you people have said, Barcelona sounds like a very unsafe, and dangerous place in day, and especially at night for tourists. (n). We have gotten from posters here, the impression Barcelona is a worse place than port calls in the Caribbean! So, why do cruise ships even stop in Barcelona? :eek:

Thanks to all for your insight on safety issues, and for hotel recommendations. We’ll be on the lookout for those pickpockets. ;)

Edited by Kingofcool1947