Bought a tux I know doesn't fit.

bigwally

Aside from the fact that they don't fit me right now either, the pants from my 30-year old Perry Ellis tux were looking a bit worse for wear last time I trotted it out. Only the pants mind you - the wonderful two-button, double breasted jacket (try finding one like that these days) is still spectacular, and fits like the day I bought it.

So I decided to buy a new one this morning when I saw a Ralph Lauren tux at Macy's online store for $199, marked down from (allegedly) $695.

That said, I was disinclined to buy a 44S with 38" pants because, while the pants would have fitted like a glove, the jacket would have needed a bunch of tailoring to put right. So instead I went for the 42S with 36" pants. Now I've not a hope of getting into these pants right now, even if they were to run a little larger in the cut, but I have been exercising pretty well the last 3-4 months in particular, and losing about a 1/2lb a week without a change in diet, so I'm pretty certain that it'll be OK for our next cruise. However, I'm not so sure about a black-tie wedding we're attending in 12.5 weeks (the only reason I was really looking right now to begin with).

Wish me luck...it will be close. :o

Checked back in on my tux yesterday so I could send SD a link - thought she might like to get her DH one for the wedding too - only to find that there was a new discount code for an additional 25% off what I paid on Tuesday. So that's now $150. Well, I wasn't going to let that pass so I reordered at the new price with the intention of returning the first one I purchased for a refund.

• 1 month later...
Did you order the same size?

Keith

No, I actually ended up with the 44R jacket / 38" waist pants.

The fit was very strange, as outlined here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2537320

And while the material isn't as fine as my old Perry Ellis tux (more of a twill weave vs. cross hatch weave) I am still very happy with it for that kind of money. Tailoring the sleeves and pants hem will be about $50 more.