Glacier Discovery excursion from Anchorage

willow949

We will have a port call in Anchorage in 2019, and if this excursion is the same as the Glacier Discovery train advertised on the Alaska Railroad website, it sounds great. It looks like it uses the same route as the Coastal Classic train, which I've taken. The views are absolutely stunning! When I get to my computer later, I will post a link to some photos I took.

Thank you for the information. It does look like the same train. Did it have an observation dome car or food to buy onboard? 10 hours is a long time and I want to be able to walk around the train. The ship is in Anchorage for 13 hours, so I would take the ships tour in case something happens.

Have you seen Alaska Railroad's description of the Glacier Discovery Train? If not, here's the train's web page: https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-a-train/our-trains/glacier-discovery

There's a dining car aboard. Evidently there are a few stops where you can disembark and do some "day trips," then catch the train on its return trip to Anchorage.

Why don't you telephone the railroad, tell them you will be doing the excursion through HAL, and ask them any questions you may have. The contact information is at the top of the above web page.