did you enjoy Christmas on the cruise ship

Peckishpixie

My son is grown now and splitting his Christmas with his partner's family so he won't be home next year. My husband and I are going to take our first Christmas away trip! We are still in the daydreaming phase so we are wondering about a cruise ship Christmas. Those of you who just got back, what did you think? Were there Christmas things to do? Was Christmas dinner traditional? Was there a tree? Was there anything you didn't like about it? Based on the ships I have been on I feel like Holland would be the most traditional. Did you find that to be true?

Most of all I loved being away from the constant "Only 12 more shopping days til Christmas!" hype at home.

The ships have always been beautifully, and tastefully, decorated. Passengers seemed to be in a nice frame of mind, as well (not just focusing on the drinks and the tan).

The downside is the increased number of passengers, with many children, parents, and grandparents, and the increased prices in recent years.

Edited by shipgeeks
better wording for clarity

I just returned from the Christmas/New Year's cruise of the Zaandam, my third Christmas cruise; my 2nd on HAL. The first HAL Christmas cruise was aboard the Prinsendam. (I was aboard Nieuw Amsterdam for her 2016 New Year's cruise and Christmas decorations were still present.)

The ships are nicely decorated for the holidays and each ship had its main Christmas Tree in the Atrium with a Tree Lighting Ceremony accompanied with carols sung by the entertainment staff and guests, Christmas cookies, and hot chocolate. There are decorated Christmas trees and other decorations throughout the public rooms. A special Christmas Eve program is provided in the main showroom by the ship's crew and a not to be missed Christmas morning program is presented in the main showroom. A special Christmas menu is served in the MDR. A Gingerbread Village display presented by the Culinary Department was set-up for the duration of the cruise. Christmas music was on one of the stateroom's music channels. On Christmas Day, many of the crew, particularly those in the Lido Restaurant and MDR were wearing Santa hats. The Zaandam's Atrium had a fake fireplace with a fire that produced no heat and two lazy-boy type chairs in front of it. Stockings were even hung on its mantle.

The larger of the three HAL ships--Nieuw Amsterdam--had the more elaborate decorations and the smallest of the three--Prinsendam--had the more elegant decorations. (This is my opinion of course and others may disagree.)

Other than Santa did not allow me to win a free cruise during the cruise lottery, the only dislike was the failure of HAL to provide a Protestant Chaplin for Christmas Eve services. There were Interdenominational services on Sundays and on Christmas Eve and Day, but these were led by a guest. (There also was no Rabbi.) A Priest is always aboard.

I was quite pleased with my 2017 Christmas cruise. I'd not hesitate to book another one.

We absolutely enjoyed Christmas aboard the Koningsdam! While the decorations were a little understated (not much in the Lido area), the spirit of the crew and the activities more than made up for it! The Christmas Eve crew show and Santa's arrival Christmas morning, accompanied by the fantastic 12 Days of Cruising video (led by our phenomenal Cruise Director, Christina Purcell) were outstanding. And the holiday menus were great! We decorated our cabin a little... we even took a 2' tree. Some fellow cruisers decorated their doors. All in all, it was fun! We're already planning to go again in a year or two! Yes, there were a few more kids on board than usual, but watching them was all part of the fun!

We have spent both Christmas and New Years on HAL. This past year we boarded the Zuiderdam 2 days after Christmas. There were multiple Christmas trees around the ship. The atrium area and staircase were decorated with holiday garland. Poinsettia plants were in the Lido as well as other areas around the ship. The lower level of the atrium showcased a beautiful gingerbread house/town display. We enjoy holiday cruising so much that we will be spending New Years 2018 aboard the Eurodam.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To add to my previous post, on the Prinsendam I ordered from Ship Services a small decorated and lighted Christmas Tree for our Stateroom. It added much to my traveling companion and my enjoyment of the cruise. Plus, I took the tree home with me and still enjoy it during the holidays.

Some fellow guests decorated their stateroom door with a holiday motif.

We love Christmas on a cruise ships. We have two children now ages 13 and 9, so missing school is hard, so we go over the winter break.

We did the Oosterdam in 2016 and We just did the Eurodam in 2017. The ships are decorated for Christmas and we all had a good time. Our only complaint was that there was not as much stuff to do, especially in the evenings that we decided that we are going to try another cruise line. We travel with my in laws as well and all 4 adults decided we wanted to try a new itinerary as well, because we've done most of the common ones. There wasn't anything on Hal, so we decided to do something new.

What ever you choose, I'm sure it will be a great time.

I did a Christmas cruise on Cunard a couple of Christmases ago. The ship was beautifully decorated and I joined the guests' choir! We gave a couple of well-attended performances as well as providing the choral music for the Christmas morning service. The whole trip was really lovely and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Link to my brief blog on this year's Prinsendam holiday cruise.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2574961&highlight=Merry+Prinsendam

There was a full Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve and then a formal night menu on Christmas Day.

Lots of trees and decorations.

Passengers who went to the 11 pm Christmas show were very moved by the presentation. And, of course, Santa arrived on Christmas morning.

I just returned from the Christmas/New Year's cruise of the Zaandam, my third Christmas cruise; my 2nd on HAL. The first HAL Christmas cruise was aboard the Prinsendam. (I was aboard Nieuw Amsterdam for her 2016 New Year's cruise and Christmas decorations were still present.)

The ships are nicely decorated for the holidays and each ship had its main Christmas Tree in the Atrium with a Tree Lighting Ceremony accompanied with carols sung by the entertainment staff and guests, Christmas cookies, and hot chocolate. There are decorated Christmas trees and other decorations throughout the public rooms. A special Christmas Eve program is provided in the main showroom by the ship's crew and a not to be missed Christmas morning program is presented in the main showroom. A special Christmas menu is served in the MDR. A Gingerbread Village display presented by the Culinary Department was set-up for the duration of the cruise. Christmas music was on one of the stateroom's music channels. On Christmas Day, many of the crew, particularly those in the Lido Restaurant and MDR were wearing Santa hats. The Zaandam's Atrium had a fake fireplace with a fire that produced no heat and two lazy-boy type chairs in front of it. Stockings were even hung on its mantle.

The larger of the three HAL ships--Nieuw Amsterdam--had the more elaborate decorations and the smallest of the three--Prinsendam--had the more elegant decorations. (This is my opinion of course and others may disagree.)

Other than Santa did not allow me to win a free cruise during the cruise lottery, the only dislike was the failure of HAL to provide a Protestant Chaplin for Christmas Eve services. There were Interdenominational services on Sundays and on Christmas Eve and Day, but these were led by a guest. (There also was no Rabbi.) A Priest is always aboard.

I was quite pleased with my 2017 Christmas cruise. I'd not hesitate to book another one.

I don't believe that HAL supplies the Catholic Priest. I'm sure we will be told who supplies the priest shortly. I'm not Catholic but I would have attended that service had I wished to worship on Christmas Day.

We love to cruise for Christmas and have been doing it for many years. Our experiences are divided between HAL, Celebrity and Royal. We were on the Veendam for this Christmas. Decorations were nice, they had a small gingerbread village set up in the lower atrium. I think they were more elaborate in the past but they are still nice. We always decorate our cabin (1 foot Christmas tree and lights) as well as our door. Each year someone always tells me they appreciate my door décor because it helps them find their cabin.

There were traditional foods for dinner in the MDR, gingerbread men in the Explorations Café. The Christmas Eve concert with staff and crew was quite lovely.

My biggest disappointment was the lack of a minister for my cruise (for the very first time). Not only was that bad but they didn't put in the program that the Christmas Eve service would be led by the congregation so we were all waiting for the pastor to show up! We decided to pretty much go as group down to the Catholic Mass but either we missed the homily or there was none. That was a big letdown. I had never been on a Christmas cruise that did not have a pastor (and there has always been one on longer cruises as well during the rest of the year.) This is a HAL change I do not appreciate. I'm not sure what the congregation did on Sunday because I missed the service (my bad, I lost track of time.)

Since we have no small children I never do the Christmas Day event with Santa but it sounded like a lot of fun.

New Year's Eve is always special as well. This year the captain and Orlando Ashford (pres of HAL) rang a ships bell that was lowered onto the stage to ring in the New Year. There was a sparkling wine toast and music.

We are already giving thought to which itinerary we'd like to do for Christmas 2018.

St. Louis Sal

We’ve done 2 Christmas cruises. Now when our children were 16 and 13,(not HAL) and another Christmas and New Year cruise a few years ago - 20 day South America and Antarctica. Enjoyed them both!

I wouldn’t hesitate to book another!

Santa arrived by Tender boat for the 3 or 4 children we had on board for the SA cruise. I would love to attach a few pictures, but don’t know how to do this.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KIJhp1RQf5NCHGQV2

I think this worked!

Santa and his elves coming aboard!

My late Dh and I sailed a great many HAL cheitstmas cruises and always enjoyed them. the ships were alwasy decorated beautifully, christman, Eve the crew gathereed in Show Lounge and sang Christmas Cartols in a number of languages. Beautfiful. Some times, HAL put wreaths on every cabin door but thgt ddid not happen on every cruise. I think some folks may have said they didn't want it? Maybe they santed to put their own decorations?

Santa always came on Christmas m;ornig and had gifts for the small children. :) Fun. A lovely Christmas dinner. Many crew wore santa hats for a good deal of the cruise and there was a jovvial attmosphere aboard. We always thought HAL did a good job on Christmas and NYE cruises.

Edited by sail7seas

I don't believe that HAL supplies the Catholic Priest. I'm sure we will be told who supplies the priest shortly. I'm not Catholic but I would have attended that service had I wished to worship on Christmas Day.

All priests on HAL cruises are provided through Apostleship of the Sea USA, a non-profit organization. It is my understanding that HAL provides lodging and meals to the priests at no charge. As a Catholic I am very grateful to both HAL and AoS for this very valuable service. I encourage anyone who shares my views to make regular financial contributions to AoS so that the Cruise Ship Program will continue.

Over the past few years we've been cruising over Thanksgiving and love it. It has become our new tradition. This year we decided, last minute, to book a Christmas cruise on the Koningsdam. I was told there were 400 kids on the ship but I swear I never saw them The ship was beautiful, food was fabulous and there was some type of music all around the ship. They did not go over the top with decorations but there were a few trees and a beautiful gingerbread village. The Christmas Eve staff show brought many people to tears. It was lovely.

I am hoping to book a cruise for Christmas 2018.

Helen

We LOVE to be on board for Xmas! We were on the Oosterdam this past Xmas and we thought it was the best holiday cruise ever for us (we have also been on Celebrity and Princess for the holidays). As mentioned there were just so many details that were included. We have no family with which to spend the holidays so for us the ship crew and passengers become our family! LuAnn

All priests on HAL cruises are provided through Apostleship of the Sea USA, a non-profit organization. It is my understanding that HAL provides lodging and meals to the priests at no charge. As a Catholic I am very grateful to both HAL and AoS for this very valuable service. I encourage anyone who shares my views to make regular financial contributions to AoS so that the Cruise Ship Program will continue.

Do you know if Chaplains of other faiths are provided by this organization? This is the first that I have learned of this organization.

I was on the Eurodam for Christmas and was also on the Eurodam on April. The main thing I see is the ship is pretty dead during dinner time. I think everyone was at the pool or kids club during the day, so the rest of the ship did not feel crowded. I also liked the Christmas menu, which was a bit different than the usual MDR food.

I took some video clips that can be found here:

Do you know if Chaplains of other faiths are provided by this organization? This is the first that I have learned of this organization.

No, I do not believe AoS provides non-Catholic Chaplains, as AoS is a Catholic organization. Other faiths may have comparable organizations, although I am unaware of any.

Our family tries to do a Christmas cruise every other year. These cruises have been done on a variety of lines and usually include New Years. In all the answers to your questions I didn't see a couple of important points. Try to book a cruise that will be at sea on Christmas day. While the ships tours will go on if in port on Christmas, the town you visit could be closed. Even shopkeepers like to spend Christmas with their families. You very well could end up wasting a port. The festivities on New Years Eve can last well into the wee hours of the morning. Best to be at sea on New Years so that you can sleep in and nurse the hangover. We decided long ago that Christmas at home comes too quickly to enjoy if we do it every year. Best to let the Captain and his crew do all the work. All you have to do is enjoy the hollyday.

Thank you so much for all the feedback. I haven't found anyone who doesn't think its a great plan. We have it narrowed down to 4 cruises. Jakers, thanks for your point about port days. That helped us narrow it down.

Is it too early to get really excited?

We went on our first Christmas cruise last Christmas and loved it. Twelve nights on Cunard's QM2 from New York. The ship was decorated, we had Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, and New Years Day special dinners. Wouldn't hesitate to take it again. Formal, festive, with lots of repeat passengers.