Terrace Suites

jjs217

My husband and I are doing the comparison "thing". We went on a Crystal Cruise in February in Indonesia, just got off our second Seabourn Cruise in Norway (love Seabourn), and are presently considering a Silversea Cruise in late fall to the Med. My question is about the Terrace Suites - WHY? I don't understand the purpose or the lack of privacy. (My husband and I enjoy our pre-prandial cocktails, wrapped up in our robes, while sitting on the balcony.) I'm curious as to who books these suites and/or why they exist.:confused:

They are there because of SOLAS safety requirements. People book them because they have many (but as you point out not all) of the advantages of a verandah suite at a lower fare. They tend to sell out early in my experience.

We've stayed in Terrace Suites three times. No there aren't chairs outside but we like being able to see in all directions when standing on the deck. There are no walls in your way which is great for taking photos. We haven't had any privacy issues, i.e. people looking in doors and rarely does someone walk by our door. We can open the door into our room for air or just to be open to the world. We spend more time on pool deck or outside the Panorama Lounge in deck chairs so don't miss our own deck. The price is also reduced. If you want to sit on your own deck you would not want the Terrace rooms.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I have looked at these cabins because, as a solo, they're one way of affording a balcony but I decided in the end that I wasn't happy with the possible privacy problem. However, I did read comments from families or groups travelling together who booked several adjacent cabins and I can see it could work well for them.

Edited by jollyjones

We've stayed in Terrace Suites three times. No there aren't chairs outside but we like being able to see in all directions when standing on the deck. There are no walls in your way which is great for taking photos. We haven't had any privacy issues, i.e. people looking in doors and rarely does someone walk by our door. We can open the door into our room for air or just to be open to the world. We spend more time on pool deck or outside the Panorama Lounge in deck chairs so don't miss our own deck. The price is also reduced. If you want to sit on your own deck you would not want the Terrace rooms.

Appreciate these excellent details and insights on the Terrace suite options and potentials. We are now booked for a Vista on the Silver Whisper for March 23-April 5, 2015, for the Mombasa to Cape Town segment of this World Cruise. We are planning on doing some safari options in Kenya before doing this 13-day cruise, including stops in Zanzibar, Madagascar, South Africa, etc. Then, we would finish with several Botswana-Victoria Falls safari stops and other adventures.

When booking, no Terrace suites were available. We are on a wait list for a Terrace. Maybe worth the added cost, maybe not. Still undecided. That extra money might be better spent for enhancing the pre and post safari options. Am processing and thinking!!?? Trade-offs?? Priorities??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 146,129 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I had a Terrace Suite last year on the Shadow when I traveled solo in Alaska. I absolutely loved it. It was wonderful to walk out onto the open deck with no partitions. So, the view was 180 degrees, and I didn't have to lean over a rail to see it. The rest of the Terrace Suites were occupied as well, but no one intruded on anyone's privacy, and frankly, there rarely were any people out on that deck area so I had it to myself a lot of the time. I was able to meet the cruisers in the next two cabins who were together, and they invited me to dinner with them. So it was a really pleasant experience.

No crew members intruded and the curtains totally block out any privacy issues.

There are no deck chairs out there and you are not allowed to leave one there, but while at sea, I did take the bureau chair out and read my book and then took the chair back in. We have booked the same Terrace Suite this year in July.

The location of these suites also is very convenient to the front desk, elevators and stairs. I probably should not be talking these up so much as they will all be gone next time we want them. Kathy

It is worth noting that the Terrace walkway is *not* accessible to passengers other than those in Terrace suites. It is not as if random passengers would be walking by, looking in. Crew occasionally walk by. Doubtless as instructed, their eyes are always straight-ahead. I have never seen a crew member as much as glance at me in my Terrace suite.

Fellow passengers have mentioned that they've met some wonderful people while sharing the balcony on the terrace deck. They ended up enjoying pre-dinner cocktails on the terrace almost every evening with their neighbors on their Baltic cruise.

• 10 months later...
I had a Terrace Suite last year on the Shadow when I traveled solo in Alaska. I absolutely loved it. It was wonderful to walk out onto the open deck with no partitions. So, the view was 180 degrees, and I didn't have to lean over a rail to see it. The rest of the Terrace Suites were occupied as well, but no one intruded on anyone's privacy, and frankly, there rarely were any people out on that deck area so I had it to myself a lot of the time. I was able to meet the cruisers in the next two cabins who were together, and they invited me to dinner with them. So it was a really pleasant experience.

No crew members intruded and the curtains totally block out any privacy issues.

There are no deck chairs out there and you are not allowed to leave one there, but while at sea, I did take the bureau chair out and read my book and then took the chair back in. We have booked the same Terrace Suite this year in July.

The location of these suites also is very convenient to the front desk, elevators and stairs. I probably should not be talking these up so much as they will all be gone next time we want them. Kathy

Thanks for providing this detail. I always get a Veranda cabin, but am in the process of booking on the Whisper and was looking at this options. A friend and I cruise together but each get our own cabins, so we pay the single supplements (better on SS than others). This looks like a really good option - when I think about how I use the the Veranda, I am usually leaning against the rail watching the scenery.

If anyone wants to "see" the view, there is a short video clip on Youtube; just search for Silversea Terrace suite

I had a Terrace suite on my recent Shadow cruise. These generally sell quickly especially to solos who don't want to pay the huge extra for a balcony. I like being able to quickly go outside if there's something to see and take photos.

As mentioned in an earlier post, they are very convenient to reception, elevators, bar and gangway when it's on 5.

With respect to privacy, not a big deal. I think I saw 2 crew members in 13 days and they were doing a spot of painting.

I really like the Terrace suites.

Cheers

Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

We have just booked a World Jet Journey with Four Seasons which includes a 3 night Cruise on the Silver Galapagos. We have a choice of Explorer, Terrace, Verandah and Deluxe Verandah. I am actually intrigued with the Terrace suites as the layout of the cabin looks roomier and the easy access to the front of the ship looks nice when not under way. Does anyone think I would regret not booking the Deluxe Verandah instead? Has anyone stayed in a Terrace suite on Silver Galapagos? Comments?

We have just booked a World Jet Journey with Four Seasons which includes a 3 night Cruise on the Silver Galapagos. We have a choice of Explorer, Terrace, Verandah and Deluxe Verandah. I am actually intrigued with the Terrace suites as the layout of the cabin looks roomier and the easy access to the front of the ship looks nice when not under way. Does anyone think I would regret not booking the Deluxe Verandah instead? Has anyone stayed in a Terrace suite on Silver Galapagos? Comments?

I think that the posts about Terrace suites have referred to Whisper/Shadow and not any of the excursion ships.

We are in a terrace suite on the 1/27 Galapagos cruise, I’ll let you know when I return! I believe one of the regular posters (Rachel) stayed in one, if you search Galapagos you will find her live thread in which she comments on the terrace suite. The thread is very informative re the Galapagos too!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were indeed in a terrace suite on the Galapagos journey. The suite itself is way larger than the regular ones, which is why we chose it. You do have to remember to close your shades if you want privacy, but if I were to go there again, I would chose the same just because it is so significantly larger. And a plus is the the internet router was in our closet. So very quick connections.

We were indeed in a terrace suite on the Galapagos journey. The suite itself is way larger than the regular ones, which is why we chose it. You do have to remember to close your shades if you want privacy, but if I were to go there again, I would chose the same just because it is so significantly larger. And a plus is the the internet router was in our closet. So very quick connections.

Wow! Good to know about the router but did it take up needed storage space?

• 3 months later...

I am at Terrace in Silver Galapagos next July 2018. Can we access the terrace from the cabin? All other guests can be in the terrace as well? I am a bit concerned about privacy

I understand that they are doing away with the Terrace suites by the 2020 world cruise on the Whisper. Do not know about the Shadow.

Well now, this is bad news for us. We are Terrace suite converts and tend to favour booking Shadow and Whisper cruises because of them.

I understand that they are doing away with the Terrace suites by the 2020 world cruise on the Whisper. Do not know about the Shadow.

Interesting. How will they do this? Will they convert them into verandah suites? I thought that the unimpeded walkway along those suites was required for SOLAS/safety reasons.

BTW: Does anyone know when next Whisper dry dock is scheduled?