My Experience with Pop-up Sel de Mer

RandyinDEN

Just got back from a 16 night Panama Canal cruise from Ft. Lauderdale through the Panama Canal and docking in San Diego. First: the cruise was good, the ship was in good shape and as always the crew was top notch.

I had pre-booked both nights at the pop-up Sel de Mer based on how much I loved Le Cirque and had hoped it would be just as good. I couldn't have been more wrong. This is held in the Pinnacle Grill but they redecorate it with giant pictures of Rudi doing all sorts of things with sea food. Just a little narcissistic to say the least.

The first night was on night 8 after we had spent the day in Costa Rica. The top item on the menu was "Fresh catch of the Day". As it was explained to me, the chef would go ashore that day and find some fresh fish that had been caught that morning. The truth was that they defrosted Red Snapper that had been loaded in Ft. Lauderdale. I was told by the chef and a manager that they were all embarrassed about what was advertised and what actually is served.

We eventually ordered the Foie Gras which was actually Pate. Steak Tartar and Escargots were also ordered. Both were actually above average. For a main course I ordered the double lamb chops that were not that flavorful and my friend ordered the lobster. The advertised Maine Lobster turned out to be 2 small tails that are served during regular Pinnacle menu items for a Steak and Lobster combination. They are small tails, not a big Maine Lobster.

For dessert I ordered the Profiteroles. They are supposed to be served with warm chocolate sauce. The reality is that room temperature Hershey's syrup is poured over them. Others at the table ordered Creps Suzette and Apple Tarte Tatin, both fairly flavorless.

Needless to say, we did not go the second night it was offered.

My opinion is that there should be a Tamarind pop-up or replace Canaletto with Tamarind fleet wide. That restaurant is so much better.

Thank you both for reporting about the Pop-op Sel de Mer.

I have been wondering about it and what it was like. We also loved Le Cirque and went to it every time it was offered.

Don't know which ships you both were on.

I also wish they would do away with the Canaletto and find a way to have the Tamarind on all the ships.

I have been wondering about it and what it was like. We also loved Le Cirque and went to it every time it was offered.

I also wish they would do away with the Canaletto and find a way to have the Tamarind on all the ships.

We were on the NA, KK. It was a pop up on there. We much prefer Le Cirque.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

I would be very disappointed if the Canaletto were to disappear. It is my favorite of HAL's special restaurants. We tried Tamarind twice on the Eurodam and were not impressed at all, probably will not try Tamarind ever again. Have not tried Sal de Mer, but have booked a table for it on the 2018 World Cruise.

Reading this thread is good proof that food is very subjective.

We ate in Sel de Mer on the Koningsdam, and it was okay but not worth the extra cost in our opinion. We love the Tamarind - it's our favourite HAL specialty restaurant. We didn't eat in the Canaletto on our first few cruises on HAL because we kept reading bad reviews, but when we decided to give it a try, we really liked it, and now we always go at least once per cruise. We really enjoyed the "Dinner at the Culinary Arts" on the Koningsdam, but it looks like they are getting rid of it. We usually eat once per cruise in the Pinnacle Grill and it is consistently good.

I know we don't all agree on what is good food, so I guess it is nice that there are many choices available.

I would be very disappointed if the Canaletto were to disappear. It is my favorite of HAL's special restaurants. We tried Tamarind twice on the Eurodam and were not impressed at all, probably will not try Tamarind ever again. Have not tried Sal de Mer, but have booked a table for it on the 2018 World Cruise.

Food is subjective.

We all have our likes and dislikes -- and our dislike is the Canaletto -- hate cutting into frozen food and water squirts out. It took 10 minutes before the waiter would come to lour table and I showed him my meal -- he could have cared less. It went downhill from there.

There are so many variables that affect the quality. Personally, if my name was attached to a venue I would make darn sure that everything met my standards. I was disappointed in Le Cirque which, in turn, affected my decision to try Sel de Mer. I found the Tamarind outstanding. I have avoided Canaletto for a number of reasons, but it comes with the dining package on my next sailing so I am curious to try it. Of course, everything will depend on the staff and the quality of the ingredients as to what my next opinion will be.

It IS subjective. I've had decent experiences with Canaletto both before and after the menu changes.

I've eaten at Tamarind on Eurodam on 2 different cruises a few years apart. The first time (August 2013) was AMAZING. The sorbets were unique and unlike what was served elsewhere, including Pinnacle. The preparation and detail was excellent for all dishes.

We ate again at Tamarind on a 7 day Caribbean this past January. The food was nowhere near as good. The sorbets were ordinary and the dishes that were once tight and impeccable were sloppy both in taste and presentation. I sure the 7 day turn around was a contributing factor, but Tamarind has its own kitchen so should be somewhat isolated from the rest of the system.

The reason you won't see Tamarind replace Canaletto is that C. shares the Lido kitchen and T. would not be able to have its own dedicated preparation space. We did have some Tamarind dishes in The Pinnacle on ms Volendam on our North Pacific cruise, but was told that was only for the Asia season.

We had 2 Sel de Mer dinners on Oosterdam last month- both were great. Fresh Halibut brought on board in Mazatlan for one dinner. First dinner I had Lobster so don't know about fish. DH had the duck cassoulet both times and loved it.

We aren't fans of Canaletto and DH doesn't do Asian food. We liked Le Cirque but were ready for a change. PG every night for us.

We were told that sometimes the fish in port isn't satisfactory and they need to use fish on board.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Forums mobile app

Details or a link to where this is discussed? I was really looking forward to trying this next year when we are on K'dam. Thanks.

Check out the thread titled "disappointing dinners". It is back a page. Sorry, I'm not sure how to include a link.

Check out the thread titled "disappointing dinners". It is back a page. Sorry, I'm not sure how to include a link.

Found it in a thread titled "Culinary Arts Dinner". Here's the post that says that there will be changes, but it doesn't say what.

I found the "disappointing dinners" thread but saw no mention of the CAC in there. Lots of discussion of the culinary council menu in the MDR and gumbo, however.

Details or a link to where this is discussed? I was really looking forward to trying this next year when we are on K'dam. Thanks.

We were just on the Konigsdam and were told that America's Test Kitchen was replacing Food and Wine magazine which was sponsoring that space and that the Culinary Art Center dinners would continue. I hope that is true because it was a unique and delicious dining experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've eaten at Tamarind on Eurodam on 2 different cruises a few years apart. The first time (August 2013) was AMAZING. The sorbets were unique and unlike what was served elsewhere, including Pinnacle. The preparation and detail was excellent for all dishes.

We ate again at Tamarind on a 7 day Caribbean this past January. The food was nowhere near as good. The sorbets were ordinary and the dishes that were once tight and impeccable were sloppy both in taste and presentation. I sure the 7 day turn around was a contributing factor, but Tamarind has its own kitchen so should be somewhat isolated from the rest of the system.

Same here. We ate at Tamarind on NA back in 2012 and loved it. After eating there on Kdam, I doubt we'll ever eat at Tamarind again. We didn't even finish our entrees. We found the sauces way too sweet.

I enjoy Canaletto. The service was very disorganized on Kdam, but I thought the meals were great.

I also enjoyed Sel de Mar. I just hope the ala cart pricing isn't something to which HAL is slowly going to convert, like on NCL.

We were just on the Konigsdam and were told that America's Test Kitchen was replacing Food and Wine magazine which was sponsoring that space and that the Culinary Art Center dinners would continue. I hope that is true because it was a unique and delicious dining experience.

Thanks, that is great news!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Same here. We ate at Tamarind on NA back in 2012 and loved it. After eating there on Kdam, I doubt we'll ever eat at Tamarind again. We didn't even finish our entrees. We found the sauces way too sweet.

I enjoy Canaletto. The service was very disorganized on Kdam, but I thought the meals were great.

I also enjoyed Sel de Mar. I just hope the ala cart pricing isn't something to which HAL is slowly going to convert, like on NCL.

We ate at Tamarind twice on our recent cruise. The first night I had the lobster which was presented beautifully and the second time a shrimp dish that I have had many times before. It was like the lobster, prepared too sweet. The other courses we had those two nights were wonderful and will keep us coming back in the future. Plus I love the space.