Favorite Cunard Ship 2017

nimiq

Unfortunately, I made several terrible decisions last year and didn't sail on any of them !

If I can cheat, we sailed on Queen Victoria in late 2016 so she would have to be my current favourite.

Edited by Host Hattie

Guest SilverHengroen

Overall QM2 is my favourite ship, but there’s significant aspects I prefer on QE or QV. Chiefly the lido buffet is far better on the smaller ships, especially post refit which I have found to make kings court all the more confusing (no themed areas to help navigation). I also prefer the GL pub and the more central location of the Queen’s room on QE and QV.

One thing I would ask those who have experienced first hand - is the remastered Queen’s Grill on QM2 as retina-searingly glitzy bright as it looks in photos? I don’t particularly care for the decoration but I really don’t like the look of the bright/ harsh down-lights shining on the tables vs the soft indirect lighting on QV and QE... that would really ruin the atmosphere of the meal/ make me uncomfortable (‘on display’?). If it’s as bad as it looks, that coupled with the better layout of Q3/Q4 suites on QE and QV (vs equivalent priced Q5 and below cabins on QM2) make the grills experience another win for the smaller ships.

One thing I would ask those who have experienced first hand - is the remastered Queen’s Grill on QM2 as retina-searingly glitzy bright as it looks in photos? I don’t particularly care for the decoration but I really don’t like the look of the bright/ harsh down-lights shining on the tables vs the soft indirect lighting on QV and QE... that would really ruin the atmosphere of the meal/ make me uncomfortable (‘on display’?). If it’s as bad as it looks, that coupled with the better layout of Q3/Q4 suites on QE and QV (vs equivalent priced Q5 and below cabins on QM2) make the grills experience another win for the smaller ships.
I didn't find it too bright at all (a little over a year ago, post refit). Maybe the photos you've seen were taken with the lights "full up"?

Mind you, I've not been in QG on QE or QV.

Guest SilverHengroen
I didn't find it too bright at all (a little over a year ago, post refit). Maybe the photos you've seen were taken with the lights "full up"?

Thank you for the response :) I think you could well be right about the lighting levels being up abnormally high (for dining times anyway). I am mainly going by the ‘3,430 pictures of QM2’ which is stickied at the top of the Cunard forum here as they are the best high res/ 360 degree photos I have come across of the remastered ship. I would find it quite odd if they did leave the direct downlights on while you were eating, they are usually very good at creating a nice dining atmosphere, and all the more in Queen’s Grill. I suppose I would do best complete the QG trio and find out for myself! :D

I dined in QG this past September. Lighting was mellow, as in the past. No real change in the lighting. But the room itself seemed a bit brighter, with the new soft goods. As if it had a well-executed face lift.

I have only sailed on QM2, so that is my favorite thus far!

Personally that is one of the great enticements to the QE and QV - the Grills dining rooms and the aft suites. I also prefer the Commodore Club on these ships. The new Q1's on Victoria look fabulous and the new Q4's aft I would like to try.

Haven’t been aboard since 2014, and haven’t been on QV or QE, but I have to say QM2. First crossing with both Cunard and QM2 and hopefully the first of many.

However, if we are talking overall favorite Cunard ship, I’d go with the original Queen Mary now in Long Beach. I have visited her twice and am excited about all the repairs and restoration work going on, repairing the steel, and the painting of the whole ship. :)