Chaos post cruise in Buenos Aires

wesport

We just got off a great 22 day Antarctica cruise on the Zaandam. I reasearched every aspect except getting a taxi at the port post cruise. Well, here’s the scam. Over a thousand people were trying to get a cab outside the port. Semi flatbeds were parked two lanes over from the taxi lane preventing anyone from getting out or metered cabs coming in. Chaos and fist fights erupted as people were in a corral like lambs being lead to slaughter. People in wheelchairs were being crushed. I have never seen anything like this before.people who were greasing the palm of the dispatcher were getting cabs, and everyone else just waited. After an hour, we got a cab and paid 30 dollars for a 10 dollar cab ride. Not horrible, but didn’t need that after a great cruise. If I had it to do again, I would use HAL to transfer to the Brick in BA. Since then, all our taxes have had meters.

We just got off a great 22 day Antarctica cruise on the Zaandam. I reasearched every aspect except getting a taxi at the port post cruise. Well, here’s the scam. Over a thousand people were trying to get a cab outside the port. Semi flatbeds were parked two lanes over from the taxi lane preventing anyone from getting out or metered cabs coming in. Chaos and fist fights erupted as people were in a corral like lambs being lead to slaughter. People in wheelchairs were being crushed. I have never seen anything like this before.people who were greasing the palm of the dispatcher were getting cabs, and everyone else just waited. After an hour, we got a cab and paid 30 dollars for a 10 dollar cab ride. Not horrible, but didn’t need that after a great cruise. If I had it to do again, I would use HAL to transfer to the Brick in BA. Since then, all our taxes have had meters.

Thats a terrible way to end your cruise. All the more reason to use HAL transfers in places you are not familiar with - not worth the hassle over saving a few dollars IMO.

Unacceptable! How does this happen in such a major city? I know its Argentina but still.

It's Argentina. Now we all know and can be prepared. This city used to be the richest in South America; now it is rapidly sliding into third world chaos.

A very interesting city (and country which has it all) to try and understand. At one time there were only two branches of the exclusive Harrod's department store - one in London and the other in Buenos Aires. What happened? There in hangs the tale.

What a terrible way to end a cruise because that route is a winner and BsAs used to be a wonderful city.

It is the same at the ferry terminal (from Colonia).

The trick is, depending on how much luggage you have, is to cross the street and get one of the metered cabs. You may have to walk a block or two. Challenging if you have lots of luggage, no so much if you are like us and just have roller carry ons.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Would not expect that kind of situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pretty much like the control other cab unions have over these sorts of dedicated transfers - thinking of Rome from the airport to the cruise ship. Or refusing to provide charter shuttles in some ports too. Tourism can be an important livelihood to make as much money as they can ........ until they kill it off themselves. This has been a very good warning. From the same country that demanded the $75 "reciprocity" fee, just to get off the ship and to the airport.

once we got settled into the Hilton, we went for a leisurely stroll. Ten minutes into it, we got green slime squirted on us by pick pockets. They come over nicely with Kleenex and try to clean you off. Luckily, the captain of the Zaandam sent out a letter warning us of this. We had nothing on us, an just started to walk fast towards the end of the block. Bad first day, but the two following days were great. None the worse for wear. Just dirty clothes with no free laundry anymore.

We think the issue is more about the port and the city rather than HAL. The last time we were in BA it was on a Celebrity ship and there was also lots of problems at the port. In fact, we decided to use a Celebrity post cruise package (hotel and transfer) to avoid problems...but all the luggage our our group (about 50) disappeared (it was found nearly 12 hours later at the airport thanks to our hotel concierge).

Hank

I would second Hank's comments.

This has nothing to do with HAL.

Remember Argentina operates differently.

Our daughter's in law's are from Argentina and will tell you the same thing. A lot of corruption there and very little enforcement.

Valley Girl of Va...The walk is not as easy as you think and I would not recommend doing it. I would arrange for private transportation or use HAL's transfer. I have been there numerous times.

Keith

You may think you can just walk out to get a cab, but we were blocked in by a solid line of semi flatbed trucks. It was well orchestrated for the two ships arrival. Although frustrating, it didn’t affect our trip. After spending several days in Antarctica, not much could ruin our memories.

BA creeped me out, beyond the tango show and private guide we used to see the city. She never left our side and we were grateful.

We had two harrowing cab experiences, despite using the airport “official taxi desk” and the hotel doorman to summon a cab. The first cabbie nearly killed us with race car level speed and general recklessness. The second cabbie demanded double the fare at drop off, we only had enough local currency for standard fare and tip. He refused American dollars so we had to find an ATM to pay the ransom.

It is a real shame.

Unfortunate. We were five days in Buenos Aires last Feb. . Never had an issue. We walked all over town, used public transportation and cabs extensively.

The only warnings we read about in tripadvisor were changing money on the street, pick pockets, and the taxi issue at the three ferry docks and the cruise dock.

BA creeped me out, beyond the tango show and private guide we used to see the city. She never left our side and we were grateful.

We had two harrowing cab experiences, despite using the airport “official taxi desk” and the hotel doorman to summon a cab. The first cabbie nearly killed us with race car level speed and general recklessness. The second cabbie demanded double the fare at drop off, we only had enough local currency for standard fare and tip. He refused American dollars so we had to find an ATM to pay the ransom.

It is a real shame.

Let me add my own Buenos Aires cab nightmare experience - it was one of their alleged specially-marked "safe" taxis, but it was late and I hailed it from a known tourist area restaurant. The driver took my money and then "returned" it to me saying it was counterfeit.

Then I gave him another bill and the same thing happened - falso - he kept repeating as he "returned" my bills to em. Finally I gave him some US dollars, ran from the cab to my hotel and said this is the last you are getting. I complained to my hotel who had exchanged my bills for smaller "counterfeit" denomination, to the bank where I had gotten the original money from their ATM - all claiming total innocence about giving me "false" currencies.

I also took the problem to the touriist office who had me file a police report and turn over all my returned "false" notes. In daylight they were obvious counterfiets, but under the circumstances and in the light of the "safe" cab I could not see this. Plus I had let my guard down since I had spent a prior wonderful week in this beautiful city.

Later I learned on a BsAs travel blog this was a standard "bait and switch" tactic. The cab driver was not returning my bills, but switching them for fake ones he already had. I was out almost $100 before I decided enough was enough and ran from the cab,. The real laugh is this all took place just around the corner block from the downtown police station, where I was later asked to file my crime report. And at the front steps of my hotel. I should have also asked the hotel to come out and intervene after the "return" of the first "false" note, but it was too late by then.

Since this happened to me also when the prices in BsAs were so cheap, after their last major devaluation I accepted this was a mutual scam - I came to take advantage of their newly cheapened economy (and it was great) and they found a way to get even with me.

A later return to this city after our own HAL cruise revealed the city that was so fascinating for me earlier, had become greatly degraded which a very sad state of affairs for a city that had so much going for it only few years prior. So don't cry for me Argentina, but I do weep for you and what you still could be. I was only out $100 but you are losing your past, your beauty and your future.

A tip; take a pic of the taxi, more specifically, the number on the door/side and/or the license plate, before getting in. It can come in handy later on in case of "issues," believe me.

Not BA, but in Puerto Vallarta, Mex, a HAL crew member got in a cab by himself in the Playa de los Muertos area and told the cabbie to drive him back to the ship. Instead, the cabbie drove him into an alley where three locals with big knives were waiting for him. Long story short; the crew member, with several years of martial arts experience, a fact unk to his assailants, got away unhurt and without loss of money, leaving the leader of the bottom dwelling dirt bags on the ground with a probable fractured beak. It happens; be prepared!

We agree that BA has gone down hill significantly through the last years. The first time I was there (2006), it was quite enjoyable and safe. And then there were the four times since then, each about two/three years apart with the last time being two years ago. With each visit, we saw more decline and felt less safe, and it's probably gone further downhill from there. And the chaos is not related to the cruise line you are on. We've been there on others than HAL.

We did not experience any threatening experiences, but did deal with mass chaos at the port, both upon embarkation and disembarkation. It's too bad, because it was a delightful city at one time.