JetBlue changed time of flight home

doone

My sister is on the Koningsdam in March, her flight back home was around 1 pm, JetBlue changed it to 11 am. Normally I don't like a flight this early, however, I hear others making a flight at this time or even earlier if all goes well. Her ship comes into Ft Lauderdale on a Sunday, thoughts?

It's possible if everything goes well. Make sure she chooses self walk off first thing in the a.m. At that time customs should be up and running without the long lines. Cabs are plentiful, once you're cleared and out on the sidewalk. Also, if you get the services of a porter in the terminal (for a decent tip, of course) they will take you to the front of the line in customs and get a cab for you very quickly. In most incidences, you will get to the airport in plenty of time for an 11:00am flight. That being said, sometimes things don't go perfectly and she might have to cross her fingers and say a few Hail Marys on disembark morning!

Option One ... contact Jet Blue. Usually no charge to change flights since they changed the time.

Option Two ... just stick with your 11 AM flight and hope for the best. Likely will make it just fine, but may need to take a cab rather than ship shuttle.

Option Three ... Whatever she chooses, tell her we hope she has a great time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

jetBlue is our airline of choice; they have changed the times of our flights many times but luckily for us not by that much time that would make a big difference. For any changes that may affect your sister's travel plans I am sure they will work with her to resolve the issue.

If it were me, I would stay with the 11:00 a.m. flight time instead of sitting around the airport for several/ many hours. I would choose the earliest disembarkation time (not self-disembark) and once in the terminal find a porter to help with my luggage. 11:00 a.m. in Ft. Lauderdale is not unreasonable.

As long as the ship docks on time and customs clears the ship promptly you are fine. We got off via self disembarkation at 8:00 a few weeks ago and the ship was delayed in clearing. We weren’t going to the airport but if we were we would have been there by 8:30. We also have Global Access which at Port Everglades puts you to the front of the custom line.

My recent experience in Fort Lauderdale would make me worry. Our disembarkation was scheduled for 9:00 am, we actually got off the ship closer to 11:00. My brother was on the cruise with us and had an 8:45 disembarkation time and got off the ship at 9:15, but then spent over an hour in the terminal waiting to clear Customs/Passport Control and he has Global Entry. It was so backed up that they halted disembarkation for about 45 minutes to clear the lines. When we finally disembarked to the terminal we were out within 15 minutes, but it was very delayed and if out flight was an earlier than 2:00 I would have been very worried.

I never book a flight before 2:00 pm after the cruise just because I know the disembarkation process can be delayed, especially in Fort Lauderdale.

I think if you do self-disembarkation you should be okay, but anything after that and I would call JetBlue to see if there are other flight options -- they changed the time of the flight so you should be able to get re-booked without fees.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the suggestions and my sister has decided to stay with the 11 am flight as the next on isn't til 6 pm. She has also decided to do self disembarkation and does have global passport. I will say a prayer for her.

Just a note regarding the porters getting you to the front of the line: We disembarked the Koningsdam in late October. I had Global Entry so was going to be through fairly quickly. We located a porter to help my parents and sister. When I asked if he would be able to expedite them through he said he was not allowed; that he had to stand in line and wait with them.

MissG is correct. Using a porter is not a guarantee of a fast passage through the lines. In Port Everglades, the porters must wait in line with you as you wind through the "Disney-like" lines. There is no quick exit unless you are in a wheelchair or have Global Entry. In Tampa, however, hiring a porter will get you into the "porter's only" line, and you have a fast track to the exit. It will cost you around $15 or $20 for a tip.

I'm not sure if anyone has suggested the "Luggage Direct" option via HAL, which would save the step of checking bags at FLL. Your sister would be able to proceed directly to the Security line and not have to get in a line to check her bag(s) first. Also, those who elect/pay for the Luggage Direct option, are first off the ship after those who self-disembark.