Cheers when sailing out of Galveston?

subieroo

So, I'm able to purchase Cheers when sailing out of Galveston but it is only for 4 days (5 day cruise). I know its because of Texas laws. How does that work though? Do I have to pay for all my drinks on the first day?

Yes you do have to pay for them on the first day. Your cruise is 5 days and you are paying for 4 with the Cheers program. Look at it this way, most people complain that the first day is limited because of the time you board the ship and muster drill. You are legally not having to pay for that day.

Not implying that you need the additional info but there always seems to be some debate/confusion about how it works. If your cruise is listed as a 5 day cruise and you leave on a Saturday then you will pay for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Four days. You will return to port on Thursday.

I actually had a woman on another site try and convince people Carnival was lying to her about how many days she was paying. I think she might have needed a different program.

As Springs741 said, you will pay regular price for your drinks until 6am on day 2. If you do the Cheers Drink Program your package starts at 6am (or whatever time you purchase it) on day 2, and is good until 6am the morning of debarkation.

Don't forget to take your bottle of wine onboard for the first night.

Enjoy!

Not to hijack the thread (but to ask a different, but related question):

What about Bon Voyage purchases? Are those "held" until day 2 as well?

Yes, bon voyage alcohol purchases will be delivered on day 2 unless you chose a later date when you purchased. And I also noticed on my Galveston cruise last December that there is a modified bar menu out on the counter on embarkation day. It was called, "Carnival's Big Texas Welcome Menu," and stated "If you like this menu, just wait til you see what we have for you a couple of hours after departure."

Yes you do have to pay for them on the first day. Your cruise is 5 days and you are paying for 4 with the Cheers program. Look at it this way, most people complain that the first day is limited because of the time you board the ship and muster drill. You are legally not having to pay for that day.

Not implying that you need the additional info but there always seems to be some debate/confusion about how it works. If your cruise is listed as a 5 day cruise and you leave on a Saturday then you will pay for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Four days. You will return to port on Thursday.

I actually had a woman on another site try and convince people Carnival was lying to her about how many days she was paying. I think she might have needed a different program.

Actually embarkation day is a paid for day it is your day 1. The people debarking the ship aren't paying for that day.

Yes, bon voyage alcohol purchases will be delivered on day 2 unless you chose a later date when you purchased. And I also noticed on my Galveston cruise last December that there is a modified bar menu out on the counter on embarkation day. It was called, "Carnival's Big Texas Welcome Menu," and stated "If you like this menu, just wait til you see what we have for you a couple of hours after departure."

That is also due to another Texas law. Booze sold on a ship in a Texas port must be purchased in Texas. Therefore, there is a limited stock of Texas purchased booze behind the bars and a switch over occurs after the ship leaves port.

In fact, Texas will also charge you taxes on duty free booze brought back to port by passengers getting off the ship (If you claim it or they find it). This is true even if you are just carrying it to the airport where you and it will leave the state.

That is also due to another Texas law. Booze sold on a ship in a Texas port must be purchased in Texas. Therefore, there is a limited stock of Texas purchased booze behind the bars and a switch over occurs after the ship leaves port.

In fact, Texas will also charge you taxes on duty free booze brought back to port by passengers getting off the ship (If you claim it or they find it). This is true even if you are just carrying it to the airport where you and it will leave the state.

Texas alcohol laws are pretty crazy, aren't they John? Lol.

Actually embarkation day is a paid for day it is your day 1. The people debarking the ship aren't paying for that day.

Sorry I should have been more clear.

You are legally not having to pay for CHEERS on day one.

Of course you are paying for the cruise day one.

Not when cruising from Galveston, drinks are paid for individually on embarkation because of the Texas liquor laws. So on a 5 day, you can only have cheers day 2-5