What is the best month to cruise Alaska?

dongordon

It sounds like you're talking about rain, which is always hit or miss up in Southeast Alaska. However, there is a peak time, and two solid shoulder seasons. Prices are often cheaper on the shoulder seasons, weather might be a little nicer during peak...but we're not going to Alaska for bright and sunny, are we?

We always go in September. Prices have historically been lower then. Plus that aligns with our vacation availability and work. If you chose May or early June, there may be ice floes which could prevent ships from reaching glaciers on some itineraries, primarily Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier.

What about kids? Do you want to avoid them, or do you have a zoo of your own that you're bringing along? Family summer travel is definitely a factor in Alaska (like anywhere else), so consider the months when school is out (July, August mostly) in your decision.

"Better" is such a subjective term. You might consider telling us a little more about yourself and what's important to you so we can offer better advice.

It can rain at any time during cruise season. You are cruising in a rain forest. You should plan on rain every day. The best time though, IMO is between June 15 and July 10 because that is when the period od daylight is the longest.

We cruised last 2 weeks of May... AMAZING! , Weather can be un predictable yes, Ketchikan was glorious sunshine, Juneau the next day was dismal rain, That's Alaska any time of year I think! We saw Bubble feeding off the side of the ship in ISP, The best moment of my life!!!! I got sun burnt that day watching the whales for hours feeding up and down the bay. Saw Orca, Friends bumped into bears on their walks... The Snow on the mountains and all of the waterfalls running down were beautiful and I heard its not as impressive later in the season. Luckily we had 3 different glacier days as Hubbard glacier was a washout to us so was glad we had 2 other good days of viewings...

It depends on what you want and what you consider "best." I've taken four Alaska cruises--two in June so I could fish for King salmon and two in August for wildlife viewing. Bear viewing was amazing. If you're more specific about what it is that equals "best" to you, that would help us answer your question. As Trip said, weather is unpredictable--I've gone when the weather has been beautiful but the week before it was a rainy cruise.

Agree, the question is what matters to you. We went in late July and did a bear watching trip which was one of our highlights. Weather was pretty good, but still not hot some days. We have kids in school so avoiding crowds wasn't really a consideration.

One of our daughters lives in Alaska. She works in the field during the summers and is often delayed days on end getting into and out of various remote locations due to weather this year. Other summers can be better but nothing predictable.

I don't think I'd plan anything around an Alaskan cruise weather wise. The only thing I'd plan on is what I'd rather see. We've done both sides of shoulder season sailings. May was breathtaking beauty. Snow covered mountain tops and glacier bay with dramatic chunks of ice. August with more whales- got to witness bubble feeding from the Pearl spa. But August and September definitely not the dramatic glacier views we saw in May.

I'd plan an Alaska cruise around the time that best suited my schedule knowing that regardless I'd be able to see some incredible beauty and wildlife.

We have done two late May and one mid Summer. We think late May is awesome. Still some snow. And, last weekend in May is the Northwest Music/Folk Festival in Seattle.

Us too. One on Royal Caribbean Radience of the Seas the other on Star Princess in May. We sailed NCL Star in July. There's really no bad time to sail to Alaska IMHO it's that awesome. Make sure you do a whale watching tour - simply amazing.

When planning a cruise in Alaska, is there any month(s) that is better than another or is it "hit or miss?"

I have had excellent weather for 4 cruises in late May. I also like the second week of September.

Another vote for May. We went in early May, the first sailing of the season, and it was wonderful. It rained only one day, the other days it was actually sunny and warm (for Alaska). The day in Glacier Bay was absolutely gorgeous. Especially beautiful was the pure, clean snow just starting to melt on our train ride to Skagway. It's honestly the most beautiful place I'd ever seen. We had good luck with whale watching as well, saw several orcas, some right next to the ship (one even did a flip for us, like we were watching a show at Sea World or something). I feel like maybe we got exceptionally lucky with this trip, but others have said good things about May as well. If I were to go again, I'd probably choose September just to see something different.

We've also done Alaskan cruises in midsummer and May. We prefer May--less crowds, etc. Would love to go in September but need to wait for retirement--teach at a college and I'm always working in September!

We had more rain on our July cruise (Disney) than on our May cruises combined!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We sail in a week.

So far, weather forecast is Juneau-showers-High of 52...Skagway-showers-High of 51...Glacier Bay -showers High of 50...Ketchikan- Light rain High of 57...Victoria - cloudy High of 60...Seattle-Sunny High of 67.

That is a pretty accurate picture of what mid to late September is like.

We go every year and weather is not a factor in our decision. We go for the adventure of it and always see and do something we never did before.

Heads up- you will hear the whales before you see them. It is a unique sound. We always have a balcony and binoculars .:)

When planning a cruise in Alaska, is there any month(s) that is better than another or is it "hit or miss?"

Hi :) I've been on for cruises to Alaska and I can't get enough – I could cruise there all the time.

June, July and August are the warmest months (with highs ranging from the 60s to 70s in most of the state), but July and August, especially, can be quite rainy, and it's also mosquito,season. Because the weather rapidly changes in Alaska, it can be super hot, {I remember getting one of the worst sunburns of my life on a cruise in Alaska if you can believe that.}, damp and cold or severely windy -- all in a one-week cruise.

The truth is any month is a good month to visit Alaska, but locals who love there say the very end of May and beginning of June offers some of the most beautiful weather. (Plus it's not at the height of crowding because most kids are still in school) and the glaciers are just gorgeous that time of the year. OH! May and June is fresh halibut and kind salmon season in Alaska and that some of the best fish I've ever had.

Best of luck!

We've also done Alaskan cruises in midsummer and May. We prefer May--less crowds, etc. Would love to go in September but need to wait for retirement--teach at a college and I'm always working in September!

We had more rain on our July cruise (Disney) than on our May cruises combined!

It's super rainy in September, lots of mosquitoes and it's way colder believe it or not and it's really beginning to get dark earlier.