Ss explorer, grand crossing 11/24/17

ronrick1943

Hi All

We arrived late today in Lisbon.

We spent the last four days in Madrid. Stayed at the Westin Palace. We were treated to an upgrade with a fountain view. It was beautiful. Did everything-- from Prado museum to Flamenco dancing and an exquisite dinner. Herb also insisted on Paella in Madrid. Again the hotel recommendations for restaurants were perfect.

We took a private car from Madrid to Lisbon today, due to my special needs. It was a seven hour drive. Airlines are very difficult for me with all the approvals needed for my O2 and scooter. ( sounds like I am an invalid, wait and see, I am really not). Watch for me on the ship. When you see a lady with a red scooter, using O2, just say hello. It's me!

We are staying at the Intercontinental Hotel here in Lisbon. We are Platinum elite members, so an upgraded room and full use of the Executive Lounge. But who's bragging?

Tomorrow we have scheduled a private day tour with an agency some friends have used in the past. I am sure we will have a great time. Other evening dinners planned for here in Lisbon, including dinner and fado music in the Alfama district. Then Friday we board the Explorer. That will be the best part of our journey. Love that ship. I have thought about it since cruising her last year. I hope I haven't built it up too much in my mind. We shall see. That's all from me now!

Regards

Sheila

"SeaDream". What a blast from the (my) past. My first cruising experience was on the Sea Goddess l in 1991 and then the Sea Goddess ll a year later. Truly unique and extraordinary. I've gone on from there but, like your first girlfriend, she will always hold that special place in your memory.

Well, I have to eat my words. The convention is over and all the people on business have gone home. Even the hotel people said never again what a mistake to take that convention. Got a note from the GM of the hotel to apologize for any inconvenience. And I didn't even say anything. Now that it is over and few hundred people are gone this is a really nice hotel. Like I said before the service staff here are unbelievable "great". Had dinner at the hotel and it was very good. Hired a car and driver to go to Sintra and the beach today, full 8 hours. A little long but had a good time. Tonight when to a cooking school, fun,fun and more fun. Made a 3 course dinner, fish risotto, followed by chicken in a pot with chorizo and vegetables, salad and a Portuguese cake. Can't believe we cooked are own dinner and paid them to do it. I'm not going to do this on the Explorer, with all those great restaurants on the ship. Oh no, we did sign up for 3 cooking classes, but they are in the morning. All good here, just a few more days before sail away. Rick and Ron

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Ron,

I'm glad to hear the improved report for the hotel although I'll only be there one night. I may see you in the cooking classes on board - they were fun when I did a couple summer of '16. I wonder who our "Chef" will be . . . time will tell!

See you soon.

Peggy

PS - and Sheila and Herb too,

Hi All

We arrived late today in Lisbon.

We spent the last four days in Madrid. Stayed at the Westin Palace. We were treated to an upgrade with a fountain view. It was beautiful. Did everything-- from Prado museum to Flamenco dancing and an exquisite dinner. Herb also insisted on Paella in Madrid. Again the hotel recommendations for restaurants were perfect.

We took a private car from Madrid to Lisbon today, due to my special needs. It was a seven hour drive. Airlines are very difficult for me with all the approvals needed for my O2 and scooter. ( sounds like I am an invalid, wait and see, I am really not). Watch for me on the ship. When you see a lady with a red scooter, using O2, just say hello. It's me!

We are staying at the Intercontinental Hotel here in Lisbon. We are Platinum elite members, so an upgraded room and full use of the Executive Lounge. But who's bragging?

Tomorrow we have scheduled a private day tour with an agency some friends have used in the past. I am sure we will have a great time. Other evening dinners planned for here in Lisbon, including dinner and fado music in the Alfama district. Then Friday we board the Explorer. That will be the best part of our journey. Love that ship. I have thought about it since cruising her last year. I hope I haven't built it up too much in my mind. We shall see. That's all from me now!

Regards

Sheila

Glad to hear that you are there safely! Agee - you are definitely not an invalid. Hope that you and Herb have a great time! Hope that you both have a very Happy Thanksgiving (Peggy - you too!)

Diana, is anyone using the pools? do you know if the water is warm? If you could ask them to make sure the water is warm for our boarding we would appreciate it. thanks for your updated and look forward to joining you on Friday.

Hi all. Gustavo and I are in Madrid now flying to Lisbon. Glad to hear the hotel is nice. See you there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Diana, is anyone using the pools? do you know if the water is warm? If you could ask them to make sure the water is warm for our boarding we would appreciate it. thanks for your updated and look forward to joining you on Friday.

Weather is cool and beautiful. Not too much use of pool. Tried out the infinity pool. They use sea water and it was green. So it looked like our pool in Arizona when it has algae. But was warm and view was lovely.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Culinary Arts Instructor onboard is named Brenda. She is quite pleasant and approachable. A friend took a class and reported to us that it was very good and can’t wait to take more this coming segment.

She is lovely. Went with her yesterday in Cadiz to a restaurant on the seaside. Food was to die for. Best fresh sea bass!!

She is lovely. Went with her yesterday in Cadiz to a restaurant on the seaside. Food was to die for. Best fresh sea bass!!

Woke up this morning to cooler weather and the city covered with fog. When up to the lounge, they have a lovely breakfast and I really do enjoy the coffee (really). The city is big with special sections all over. It is hard to walk around with those little stones---but they look great. You need to be careful because the walk ways are not level at all, so if you have a few drinks really be careful. Which reminds me the other day we when up (and I mean up) to the Park and Palace of Pena. Something you need to see here, the views from the top are unbelievable. Now they well tell you its only a short walk after a short bus ride from where you get the tickets. Don't believe it, in fact don't bel[emoji3] ieve anyone here that tells you "Oh, it's just around the corner or just a few steps". After that the Centre Palace of Sintra. Really alot to see and do in Lisbon. Todays lunch at Alma, he a one star chef thats really good, everyone here at the hotel say he's the best in all of Portugal. Since we've only eaten at a few restaurants in Lisbon I can't say for sure. But they are waiting today to see if he gets to keep his star or gets another one. I think he should get more stars because it was really and I mean really good. A little (ok, let's be honest) really pricey, but well worth the money. Now its rest time before a night out. Tomorrow will be a spa day at the hotel, it looks like a nice spa. Over all The Hotel Corinthia is a super nice hotel, except for the 1st two nights they had a convention going on. And they truly have one of the best staffs I've even seen at a hotel. Nothing is impossible, and you never have to ask-they seem to know before you ask. Just 2 more nights until SS Explorer!!!!!! Rick&Ron

Lisbon - We had a wonderful guide today. He took us to Sinatra. We were there before and we got another prospective. Then to the beach and drove back to Lisbon via the magnificent beach towns. Stopped at Belem and had some wonderful local custard pastries. Toured Lisbon again after 15 years. Enjoyed it just as much.

Time to relax now.

Sheila and Herb

Bellagio Cruisers, just as I was thinking of dropping in to say "don't leave Lisbon without eating a Pasteis de Nata in Belem" you beat me to it! Did you manage to stop at one? ;p

Have a wonderful cruise everyone. I'm not really envious...not one bit....:confused:

Bellagio Cruisers, just as I was thinking of dropping in to say "don't leave Lisbon without eating a Pasteis de Nata in Belem" you beat me to it! Did you manage to stop at one? ;p

Have a wonderful cruise everyone. I'm not really envious...not one bit....:confused:

Hi Gilly

Stopped at the Pasteis de Belem yesterday. Long line but it was fabulous! So tasty with cinnamon. Tonight dinner and fado in the Alfima.

Thanks for the good wishes. Boarding the Explorer tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the day! Check in and board the ship. Lucky for us we choose today as a spa day. This morning after breakfast we took a nice walk around the hotel area, as we stepped back into the hotel it started to rain and hasn't stop yet. So now WELCOME! We hope you will enjoy our adventure on the Explorer during the crossing. So anyone on the ship can join in and express their opinion as it may be different than our opinion and still be right as everybodys is not the same. Let's discuss the ship, food, staff, service, your suite and tours if you like, and anything that is important. But by all means don't spoil your trip over this post. If you are not traveling with us, and have questions please ask. Don't forget were not new to crusing but new to Regent. Please let's try to keep the comments to this cruise only>>>>>>and let's not argue about the perks and who gets them or why they get them (that's another post). Let's keep this post honest, truthful and light hearted. So settle back and enjoy the time together. We'll try to post regularly, but no guarantee if we're having too much fun! Rick & Ron

do not know the berth number, but you can't miss it. it is right next to the new cruise port building that will open soon. not sure if we enter thru the building, maybe someone on board who went ashore today can enlighten us on this. See everyone tomorrow.

RonRick1943:

What category of suite do you have? We have concluded that the F suites are the best value for our needs, particular where the larger E suite veranda is unnecessary due to cooler weather. We don’t care for the Penthouse suites; small walk-in closet and no bath tub. YMMV.

We are less in love with Chartreuse (though the steak tartare with caviar appetizer is delicious) than Pacific Rim (lobster tempura is the guilty pleasure, though there are also lots of delicious more healthy dishes), Prime7, and Compass Rose. We typically go once to Sette Mare (for Veal Milanese) unless you can sit outside.

We really enjoy the cooking classes, but because you eat everything you make, try to get morning or noon times to avoid ruining dinner!