Insignia

LHT28

I was reading a review on the crossing from Malta to Miami

they stated there was Noro onboard but seems strange that it was not reported all over CC ;)

Was/is the ships sick???

I have two friends that were sick on this crossing with noro. They self quarantined so did not know what else was going on in the rest of the ship. They fully recovered before the end of the cruise and just carried on and enjoyed themselves.

I have two friends that were sick on this crossing with noro. They self quarantined so did not know what else was going on in the rest of the ship. They fully recovered before the end of the cruise and just carried on and enjoyed themselves.

Meanwhile spreading germs all over the ship. How long did they self quarantine? Were either one of them Doctors? :cool:

i hope they notified the medical centre & housekeeping so a proper cleaning could be done of their cabin :eek:

The virus can live for weeks on some surfaces lurking to be passed on to others

I have put in a review of the trip which I posted yesterday and there is always a wait period before they put it up, but I did it because there were two very conflicting reviews of that cruise, and I had contact with both of the parties who did the reviews, so I wanted to clarify why there was such a huge difference between the two. One review was the one who said there was Noro on board,

I hope when it's posted it explains more about all the cruise and I don't want to write it all up again, but there was sickness on board, even before we arrived, which ticked many off because they felt Oceania knew well in advance of our arrival and had time to tell us. They didn't and even if they did, you could cancel yourself depending on your insurance, and if you felt your current health would be in danger if you contacted something that could make it much worse.

Always take appropriate medication for such events with you, and that includes getting a cold. For any large sickness outbreak, Oceania only have to advise something like the Center for Disease Control, if there is more than 2% sick on board. That may not seem much, but that also includes the crew, so we probably had over 20 sick.

We were told first day, once we were at lifeboat drill. Passengers already on board told us that the ship had been sick for a while, and there were many sick folks on board, passengers and crew. Some got better, and just when we thought we'd get the all clear, more came down with it. If you get sick, you are obligated to tell medical, you are quarantined, and of course your partner usually ends up with you also in the cabin and room service meals till you are better. You can miss a lot, and it's not a great vacation, but it's not the ships fault. If you have prepaid tours, you may not get a refund. It's not the tour guys fault you get sick either. The ship's crew bent over backwards to disinfect the ship, and the crew must have been sick of doing it, as they did it before we arrived. Think spring cleaning on a large scale every day. Walls washed past your body height, carpets, stair rails, elevators, bar and table surfaces and chairs after every use, linens, no salt and pepper on tables, no sugar or milk jugs, and a pain when you wanted more as you have to catch the eye of a staff member to give you more. Laundry closed, library closed, playing cards, paper, all carriers. It limits things.

To get the all clear the ship has to fall under the 2% and I don't think we did that till we were crossing the Atlantic part of the voyage. A word of caution also that if you do go to the ships doctor, that costs up front. With Norovirus it is usually just quarantine. However, if for any other reason it means a stay overnight, with monitoring, it costs quite a bit. One lady had to get to hospital when we got to Nassau, and the ambulance with crew picked her up from the ship to hospital. At the hospital they wanted about 15K up front, to cover possibles if she had to stay overnight, etc. If she didn't, she would get some refund, but bear in mind they needed that amount up front, on top of the almost 4K for stay in the ships hospital. And then you have to consider that you may have to fly home from the port you get hospitalized in, changing all plans.

So, although you have insurance, you have to pay up front I believe for everything. Make sure your credit card covers that possibility plus other expenses.

Edited by Joanzzzz

Meanwhile spreading germs all over the ship. How long did they self quarantine? Were either one of them Doctors? :cool:

they did report the matter via the butler and they both had worked in the medical field so they knew what to do. The first day on board they "heard" that there were GI issues on board and had noticed no salt and pepper shakers. They fell ill a few days later and took all necessary precautions once they were out and about.

We boarded in Lima and the Captain told everyone that Noro had been on the previous cruise. I spoke to a few people that had boarded in Miami and they were not aware of anyone being sick and have not seen any sickness currently while here for over 2 weeks.

Everything is running smoothly, hands are sprayed prior to boarding after tours and all areas of ship have the hand disinfectant.

I did come down with a cold 2 days after boarding, but found out that a person on our Machu Picchu tour had it prior to boarding the ship. That is all it takes :(

It is Noro season unfortunately. All staff have been exceptional on this cruise.

We boarded in Lima and the Captain told everyone that Noro had been on the previous cruise. I spoke to a few people that had boarded in Miami and they were not aware of anyone being sick and have not seen any sickness currently while here for over 2 weeks.

Everything is running smoothly, hands are sprayed prior to boarding after tours and all areas of ship have the hand disinfectant.

I did come down with a cold 2 days after boarding, but found out that a person on our Machu Picchu tour had it prior to boarding the ship. That is all it takes :(

It is Noro season unfortunately. All staff have been exceptional on this cruise.

Thanks for the update

Keep well & enjoy the cruise