Hurricane Irma Cruise to Nowhere

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:44 AM.
Florida
3,832 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
A big thank you to Captain Boris and all his officers and crew members for putting together an amazing "escape the hurricane" cruise to nowhere. Crew was extremely friendly and kept 96 passengers entertained when we were all very nervous about our houses and/or how to get back home. Food was delicious, the ship was very clean and they kept on cleaning, painting, and fixing it. That's the way to escape a hurricane.

Spasibo,

Leticia Vaughn-Flam
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCCL- Mariner 04 (GS) Majesty (GS) Jewel (GS) Enchantment (RS) Freedom (OS) Voyager - Med 07 (GS) Monarch (GS) Majesty (GS) Oasis (CL) Explorer (GS) Allure (D1) Liberty (GS) Explorer (JS) Quantum (D7) Quantum (SJ) Enchantment (GS) Liberty (JS) ) 17 cruises
Carnival - Victory (PH) Sensation (S1) Legend (PH) Miracle (GS) Victory (8C) 5 cruises
Seabourn - Pride (All Suite) Quest (PH) 2 cruises
Disney - Wonder (5D) Dream (4D) 2 cruises
Princess - Star (PH) Crown (PH) Royal (MA) Regal (MC) Ocean - British Islands 14 (MB) Regal (M1) 6 cruises
Cunard - QM2 - July 05 (A1) QM2 July 10 (Q6) QE August 15 (BA) 3 cruises
NCL - Dawn (AF) Pearl (GV) Jewel (A3) Dawn (AF) Spirit (OS) Gem (A2) Dawn (AB) Jewel (A3) Epic (A3) Gem (BE) Star (SF) Jade - Turkey 12 (S2) Gem (S5) Breakaway (S4) Escape (M2) Sky (Cuba) (BB) 16 cruises
Celebrity - Constellation (CC) Century (PH) Solstice (S1) Summit (SS) Millennium (S1) Reflection (S1) Constellation (RS) Edge (E1) 8 cruises
HAL - Westerdam 06 Alaska (SA) Eurodam (PS) Koningsdam (V) (B) twice 4 cruises
Crystal - Symphony (A1) 1 cruise
Silversea - Whisper (V3) 1 cruise
Virgin Voyages

63 cruises so far...

Coming Up...

Princess Regal (M1) 11/13/2017
Silversea SilverWhisper (V1) 12/16/2017
HAL Koningsdam (B) 12/27/2017
Celebrity Edge (S2) 4/14/2019
Virgin Voyages 2020

St Pete, FL
266 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
I saw that cruise advertised before the storm. I thought that it might have some appeal to certain folks looking to avoid the storm. With Irma in particular, being on a mobile shelter was the best way to go since the captain could keep moving. We evacuated from St. Pete from central FL when it looked like it was coming here, only to find it came closer to where we were sheltering in central FL.

So only 96 folks were on board? It must have felt like a ghost ship! Which venues (dining, bars, entertainment, spa, etc.) were in operation?

I guess the cruise line mainly wanted to keep the ship safe which meant getting her out of the area, and they figured they might as well see if anyone wanted to come along for the ride, eh?
Florida
3,832 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Originally posted by irun5k
I saw that cruise advertised before the storm. I thought that it might have some appeal to certain folks looking to avoid the storm. With Irma in particular, being on a mobile shelter was the best way to go since the captain could keep moving. We evacuated from St. Pete from central FL when it looked like it was coming here, only to find it came closer to where we were sheltering in central FL.

So only 96 folks were on board? It must have felt like a ghost ship! Which venues (dining, bars, entertainment, spa, etc.) were in operation?

I guess the cruise line mainly wanted to keep the ship safe which meant getting her out of the area, and they figured they might as well see if anyone wanted to come along for the ride, eh?
Instead of 2 restaurants, only one was open as well as only the aft pool and aft jacuzzis were open. Entertainment, bars, spa (DH had 2 massages and got a haircut) all happening. We got close to the passengers and crew. The captain was very friendly. I have to say that it was a very nice "weird" cruise. I will try them again on a normal cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCCL- Mariner 04 (GS) Majesty (GS) Jewel (GS) Enchantment (RS) Freedom (OS) Voyager - Med 07 (GS) Monarch (GS) Majesty (GS) Oasis (CL) Explorer (GS) Allure (D1) Liberty (GS) Explorer (JS) Quantum (D7) Quantum (SJ) Enchantment (GS) Liberty (JS) ) 17 cruises
Carnival - Victory (PH) Sensation (S1) Legend (PH) Miracle (GS) Victory (8C) 5 cruises
Seabourn - Pride (All Suite) Quest (PH) 2 cruises
Disney - Wonder (5D) Dream (4D) 2 cruises
Princess - Star (PH) Crown (PH) Royal (MA) Regal (MC) Ocean - British Islands 14 (MB) Regal (M1) 6 cruises
Cunard - QM2 - July 05 (A1) QM2 July 10 (Q6) QE August 15 (BA) 3 cruises
NCL - Dawn (AF) Pearl (GV) Jewel (A3) Dawn (AF) Spirit (OS) Gem (A2) Dawn (AB) Jewel (A3) Epic (A3) Gem (BE) Star (SF) Jade - Turkey 12 (S2) Gem (S5) Breakaway (S4) Escape (M2) Sky (Cuba) (BB) 16 cruises
Celebrity - Constellation (CC) Century (PH) Solstice (S1) Summit (SS) Millennium (S1) Reflection (S1) Constellation (RS) Edge (E1) 8 cruises
HAL - Westerdam 06 Alaska (SA) Eurodam (PS) Koningsdam (V) (B) twice 4 cruises
Crystal - Symphony (A1) 1 cruise
Silversea - Whisper (V3) 1 cruise
Virgin Voyages

63 cruises so far...

Coming Up...

Princess Regal (M1) 11/13/2017
Silversea SilverWhisper (V1) 12/16/2017
HAL Koningsdam (B) 12/27/2017
Celebrity Edge (S2) 4/14/2019
Virgin Voyages 2020