Cape Liberty/Bayonne 411 - New and Improved!

megr1125

Welcome to the new Cape Lib/Bayonne Info thread.....

Please post your questions here......and we will help!!

http://mojitomegcapeliberty.blogspot.com/

Start there with my blog...and then come here with your questions...

Happy cruising!! 138east (carol) and I, along with many other locals/semi locals/frequent Bayonne cruisers are eager to help!!!

What is the best way to get from the port to mid-Manhattan? We will be staying at a hotel there post cruise, not sure which hotel yet but definitely that area.

We will have some bagagge plus a 2 year old boy with us, so hopping up and down buses is irrelevant.

Should we take a cab? A shuttle? Is there a direct bus/train? It's a sunday so hopefully not too much traffic.

Thanks a lot.

I'd recommend booking a car service. Trip should be quick on a Sunday morning. See Meg's blog for suggestions - probably $80-100.

To catch a train you have to go to Newark Penn Station by cab. No direct bus or shuttle service. Probably $45-50 + $10 on the train.

Public transit option - ask if you are interested.

Wait for a response from Meg. She can advise about a car service. I think is it better to prearrange a car service because you will have an agreed price and exactly what it includes or doesn't include - ride, tolls, tip. When you make a reservation, be sure to tell them exactly how many people and how much luggage. Picking up a random cab at the port to go from NJ to NY is not usually recommended - there are no price regulations and you are a captive audience when you get off the ship with all your luggage and a 2 year old.

What is the best way to get from the port to mid-Manhattan? We will be staying at a hotel there post cruise, not sure which hotel yet but definitely that area.

We will have some bagagge plus a 2 year old boy with us, so hopping up and down buses is irrelevant.

Should we take a cab? A shuttle? Is there a direct bus/train? It's a sunday so hopefully not too much traffic.

Thanks a lot.

Book a car service...as NJ cabs dont have to take you to NYC....HOWEVER, the taxi line at the pier will often group people up into buses for a ride into NYC at a PP rate...IIRC it was about $20-25 bucks each AND you have to pay for little kids and babies as technically they must be in a carseat by NJ Law.

It's not a bad deal but you may have to wait for them to fill up the shuttle. I would arrange for a car service. I have used www.blackexecutivecars.com and www.trulimo.com

Another option is signature transportation which is based at the EWR Marriott Hotel.. You can call the hotel's number and ask for signature transportation (at least that's how i got them!) 973-623-0006. They were very nice and really tried to assist me when i got stranded at the airport, and last year when i was trying to move 20 people from the EWR area to the pier...and they were reasonable.

I'm thinking you are still looking at between $80-$125 or so.....but it will be money well spent and beleive me, you REALLY do NOT want to wait around in the taxi line...it can be long and everyone, from the dispatchers to the passengers can get EVIL!!!

I will be cruising with u on may 13th meg! ahaha i am having trouble trying to figure out how to get to the pier and home! I live in south jersey and every car service I've looked into was almost $200 each way!.... any recommendations? I live near cherry hill... Thanks!!!

I will be cruising with u on may 13th meg! ahaha i am having trouble trying to figure out how to get to the pier and home! I live in south jersey and every car service I've looked into was almost $200 each way!.... any recommendations? I live near cherry hill... Thanks!!!

drive to the pier??? it's 19 bucks a day but will work out cheaper....(19 bucks a day isn't bad though!)

OR drive up, stay over and get a car service?? some places have packages...try the country inn newark elizabeth (you will have to call to get the price with room, shuttle AND parking)..OR there is a hilton garden inn on staten island that has a package....i think it's pretty easy to get to that hotel.....(though i only ever went to staten island once...by accident!)

Meg and Carol, have you ever seen/heard of Carmina Limo, www.carminalimo.com When I talked to a guy on their phone he told me they were based in Bayonne. Quoted me $35 incl tolls for transfer from EWR to hotel Sheraton Meadowlands in May. He said he needs only 1 day notice. Great price.....:confused:

Yes we are on your cruise on EOS 5/13. I begin to feel I know you after following you on your live thread and another thread where you helpes me and my sister (csloan - Cathy) find this hotel.

Susan

Hey Joe, I am on the EOS 5/13 cruise too! Come join the roll call thread and sign up fo Meet & Mingle. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=955430&page=16

Susan

Meg and Carol, have you ever seen/heard of Carmina Limo, www.carminalimo.com When I talked to a guy on their phone he told me they were based in Bayonne. Quoted me $35 incl tolls for transfer from EWR to hotel Sheraton Meadowlands in May. He said he needs only 1 day notice. Great price.....:confused:

Yes we are on your cruise on EOS 5/13. I begin to feel I know you after following you on your live thread and another thread where you helpes me and my sister (csloan - Cathy) find this hotel.

Susan

actually no....i shall have to look into them. thatg's a good price....

ahhh....sisters!

can't wait to meet you guys on board!

I am planning on leaving South Jersey around 10AM which should put us at Cape Liberty sometime between 11:30 and Noon. Is this a good time or would it be better to arrive after Noon? I don't want to leave from home too late in case we have car trouble or heavy traffic. Also, when I look at mapquest, I see that there are two possible routes into Cape Liberty - Should I stay on 95 past EWR and come in over rt78 and rt440 -OR- get off 95 at rt278 and then hit rt440. Does anyone know first hand which would be better? I've been at EWR a few times and traffic was always horrible around the airport.

that's a good time to arrive....boarding usually starts around noon anyway.

take the Tpke to Exit 14A.....traffic on the TPKE shouldn't be too bad at that time of day....

(jmo of course...)

That's exactly what I'm going to do then. Thank you.

hello!

We have a diferent question...:rolleyes:

We (2 couples)will arrive in Newark Airport (31 st May) then we will go to NYC to stay there 5 days(can't remeber the hotel's name but it's near Macy's).(Cant't decide if we will catch a cab...bus..train....either):o

Then, on 5th June we will go to the cruise pier (Cape Liberty); we pretend to leave the city around 12 o'clock...Is it easy to catch a cab to the pier...or a train...or a shuttle?:confused:

Then on 10th June we'lll arrive to Port Liberty, and because we only have our flight around 8 p.m. we pretend to spend most part of the day in NYC...Is it easy to catch a cab to the airport to leave our lugagge (check in our luggage) then return to NYC to spend part of the day?:confused:

Thank You...I know it's too much questions...but it's dificult to us tu understan which cabs can go to NYC and which cabs can go to airport and pier...:o

Framboesa - I'm pressed for time this morning, but I will give you a more detailed answer later.

Cabs can go from NJ to NY and NY to NJ, but there are no regulations on what they can charge. You are coming from abroad - you should book a car service for each of your trips so there is no misunderstanding about the price. Newark to NY should cost $85-100 for 4 people with luggage. You need to understand what makes up the cost - basic ride, tolls, and tip (15-20%) - and you need to tell the car service that you are 4 people with however many pieces of luggage you have.

Trains or subway are going to be a more complicated option, but a lot cheaper. You will have to be able to roll your luggage and carry it up or down a stairway if an elevator or escalator is broken.

It may be difficult to drop your luggage off at the airport and go to NY for the day.

You can't check your bags in with the airline earlier than about 4 hours ahead. I do not think Explorer has the express bag check in as i don't fly to the port....

you may want to look into storing your luggage here:

http://www.schwartztravel.com/

that way you could arrange for a car service into NYC (see my blog for suggestions....) You could also try www.carmellimo.com or www.dial7.com but i am not 100% sure if they can/will pick up at the pier...

then you could do what you wish, and then get a car service back..cabs are meter (up to $75) plus round trip tolls plus $15 plus tip...

hth

hello!

We have a diferent question...:rolleyes:

We (2 couples)will arrive in Newark Airport (31 st May) then we will go to NYC to stay there 5 days(can't remeber the hotel's name but it's near Macy's).(Cant't decide if we will catch a cab...bus..train....either):o

Then, on 5th June we will go to the cruise pier (Cape Liberty); we pretend to leave the city around 12 o'clock...Is it easy to catch a cab to the pier...or a train...or a shuttle?:confused:

Then on 10th June we'lll arrive to Port Liberty, and because we only have our flight around 8 p.m. we pretend to spend most part of the day in NYC...Is it easy to catch a cab to the airport to leave our lugagge (check in our luggage) then return to NYC to spend part of the day?:confused:

Thank You...I know it's too much questions...but it's dificult to us tu understan which cabs can go to NYC and which cabs can go to airport and pier...:o

Exactly where is your hotel in NYC? Are you willing to take public transportation? How much luggage will you have?

From the airport to NY on May 31st, Airtrain might work for you. New York Penn Station is very close to Macy's, so you might be able to walk it. This is $15/pp.

Going to Bayonne - this is the first day of your cruise. Unless you have something special to do in NYC that morning, you should plan to arrive in Bayonne between 10:30 and 11:00 am.

Last day - this is the real problem. This will cost you $200 plus $7-10/bag to check your luggage.

With the 'airtrain' you will board the free airport monorail and ride THAT to the EWR Airport rail station where you will get off the monorail and board a NJ Transit train into Manhattan via downtown Newark....

(just wanted you to know that you're actually going to take 2 different things to get FROM the airport proper into NYC...)

hope that didn't make things more confusing....

I'm trying to think of something creative for you to do when you disembark. For the last folks who had this issue we suggested going to Newark Airport, renting a car (you would need a large car for 4 people and luggage), and driving to Liberty State Park in Jersey City to go to Ellis Island and/or the Statue of Liberty. If you really need to go back to NY, you could park the car at Journal Square, Grove St. or Exchange Place in Jersey City and take Path into NY. The cheapest way I can think of to do this is to have one person self-disembark and take a shuttle to Newark Airport and a shuttle to the car rental ($15). Rent the large car ($125) and come back to pick everyone up at the port. Then there are tolls, parking, and transportation to NY.

Another option is to bite the bullet and do the public transit thing - cab to the light rail station in Bayonne - $8 + good tip. Light rail to Hoboken - $1.95/pp. Path to 33rd St. - $1.75/pp. Cab to the luggage storage - $10-$15. Pay $7-$10/bag. Schwartz Travel is on 36th St between 8th & 9th Ave - you might be able to walk to Port Authority at 40th St to catch a bus back to Newark Airport - $15/pp. Or just arrange for a car service back to Newark.

It sounds like a lot of hassle, but it might be worth it to you to not sit around the airport all day waiting for your plane. Bottom line is that you are spending 5 days in NY and then going on a 5 day cruise to Bermuda in June when the weather should be warm - I would pack very light. This will make your lives much easier. You can find a place to wash your clothes before you go on the cruise. Don't be intimidated by the formal night on the Explorer. The ladies can get away with a nice dress (no formal gown) and the men could get away with a shirt, tie, and nice slacks (no tux).

Ok...Here's a brain teaser for you...In two parts!!

We will be flying into LaGuardia on 6-9-10 for a cruise out of Cape Liberty on 6-10-10. We land at about 10pm on the 9th. Should we (and how?) go to NJ on the 9th, or stay in NYC, near the airport and wait untill the next day to head over to the port? I would like to do this as cheap as possible, but my wife is not a light packer, so I'd prefer to stay away from public transportation.

Second part of this brain teaser: We return to port on Saturday 6-19-10 and are going to spend the day and night in NYC. Our flight leaves Sun morning at 9am. Again, whats the best way to get around this schedule?

You input is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sheldon

Archived