Flying to Tahiti with hotel stay, early or late flight?

sworksjr

We will be flying to Tahiti to catch our cruise in the fall. Flights from LAX seem to land very early in the morning ~6am or late at night ~midnight. We have a reservation through RSS for a hotel and I am wondering, do they usually fly you in on the early morning flight, giving you a full day in Papeete, Tahiti before you can check into the hotel, or do they fly you in late at night with a short stay in the hotel before boarding the next morning? I am considering doing a deviation on the flight.

One other thing to consider is going a couple of days early and staying either in Papeete or taking the very short and convenient ferry ride over to Moorea and staying there for a few days. Either option can mean that you will have a pleasant way to get over your jet lag, and get on the ship fully ready to rock n' roll. It will mean a deviation, but you might find it worth it.

One other thing to consider is going a couple of days early and staying either in Papeete or taking the very short and convenient ferry ride over to Moorea and staying there for a few days. Either option can mean that you will have a pleasant way to get over your jet lag, and get on the ship fully ready to rock n' roll. It will mean a deviation, but you might find it worth it.

+1, you really want to get over jet leg-great way to go....Rick

I prefer the 11:00 pm-5:30 am flight. The hotels will usually allow your to do an early check in at 8:00 am. Be aware that on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday there is only the 11:00 pm flight, non stop.

Also, there is a new Airline flying to Tahiti form Paris via San Francisco staring in May, 2018 called French Bee. The reviews look good and

very cheap prices, but limited days.

J

I prefer the 11:00 pm-5:30 am flight. The hotels will usually allow your to do an early check in at 8:00 am. Be aware that on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday there is only the 11:00 pm flight, non stop.

Also, there is a new Airline flying to Tahiti form Paris via San Francisco staring in May, 2018 called French Bee. The reviews look good and

very cheap prices, but limited days.

J

Agree with JMARINER! Have to look up "French Bee" as it sounds quite interesting!

I would see if I could ask Regent as soon as possible. Can't remember when the flights come out, but it might be worth paying the deviation fee to find out. And I can say, as a fairly regular visitor to this part of the world, it's worth an extra night or two if you have time to get over the jetlag and just kick back, if not three or four nights which are needed for a proper pre-cruise stay on Moorea. But even an extra night would help, and then if you're paying the deviation fee anyways, you should be able to request a specific flight.

In that case, it might be cheaper to book your own hotel. Where do they have you staying?

• 2 weeks later...

Our experiences have been w/Regent and Seabourn. In both instances, our N/S was from LAX. Departure at around midnight; arrival in Tahiti very-early AM. Flights were on Air France. Very, very nice, although almost the entire air time was at night. Relatively easy to sleep in Business/First.

We went one extra-day early. My memory is a bit hazy, but recall wheels-down around 0630H. Efficient, almost-immediate transfer to the same nearby hotel, exact name I forget. Top-rate. What was appreciated was early check-in, at no extra charge. We were taking a snooze by 0830H,local time.

Therefore, we had 1+ extra day time to overcome jet-lag. Boarded ships in good shape to enjoy the experience.

Recommendation is to schedule more than just an overnight hotel stay before departure. The area around the airport has definitely been improved over the years. Lovely walks on the hotel's beach; or nearby.

GOARMY!

Our experiences have been w/Regent and Seabourn. In both instances, our N/S was from LAX. Departure at around midnight; arrival in Tahiti very-early AM. Flights were on Air France. Very, very nice, although almost the entire air time was at night. Relatively easy to sleep in Business/First.

We went one extra-day early. My memory is a bit hazy, but recall wheels-down around 0630H. Efficient, almost-immediate transfer to the same nearby hotel, exact name I forget. Top-rate. What was appreciated was early check-in, at no extra charge. We were taking a snooze by 0830H,local time.

Therefore, we had 1+ extra day time to overcome jet-lag. Boarded ships in good shape to enjoy the experience.

Recommendation is to schedule more than just an overnight hotel stay before departure. The area around the airport has definitely been improved over the years. Lovely walks on the hotel's beach; or nearby.

GOARMY!

Thanks GOARMY. I was concerned that the hotel would not allow early check-in, but it sounds like they will.