Hawaii Water Safety

Astro Flyer

Here on Maui there have been 8 ocean drownings & 1 in critical condition in the past 2 weeks & the victims have been men 50+ who were visiting Maui.

My reason for posting this thread is to please be aware of the conditions...both the water conditions & a person’s physical conditions. It’s apparent that too many visitors do not consider these factors which can result in death. Snorkeling is not like being in a large protected aquarium & in the ocean (or streams) the conditions can vary by the minute.

While this is obvious to some people, these recent deaths show that too many visitors still ignore these factors.

Here are links to articles about the deaths & potential issues when using the increasingly popular full face snorkeling masks. Even very experienced ocean snorkelers have concerns about using them & they’re even more concerned about inexperienced snorkelers using them.

http://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2018/01/maui-ocean-deaths-rise-to-eight-within-two-weeks/

http://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2018/01/safety-questions-surface-for-full-faced-snorkel-masks/

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/10/06/hawaii-news/snorkeling-is-the-most-deadly-ocean-activity-in-hawaii/?HSA=273a630d377faaf8d2961f11e1bdd950eb6e5302

In Maui the very popular Black Rock area on Kaanapali Beach had the most deaths during a 10 year period of time...22. At Oahu’s very popular Hanauma Bay there have been 23 deaths.

Here’s a link to a water safety video about how to safely enjoy the water on Maui which also applies anywhere in the world. It not only shows ocean safety tips but stream flash flooding situations at spots such as Oheo Gulch (AKA 7 Sacred Pools) in Kipahulu.

Snorkeling in Hawaii can be amazing & by being aware of the water conditions & our physical limitations it’s also a safe & enjoyable experience. Overall 72% of the water deaths on Maui are visitors which for the most part could be prevented by following these precautions. As said in the video, if in doubt, don’t go out, which unfortunately too many visitors fail to follow.

Hopefully that information will help people to make an informed decision & to safely enjoy their water experiences.

Based on what I’ve read, statistics about the causes are quite limited.

A Maui committee wants to track additional information about each situation but said that’ll take at least several years. It’s also not easy for them to learn why someone died nor the type of snorkeling device used.

My guess is that it’s a combination of factors: inexperienced snorkelers who are not prepared for the ocean’s condition and either have an underlying health issue (known or unknown) or who panic & drown. But each person makes a risk analysis to decide what they will do. I’ve hesitated to post about these things but with 8 fatalities within 2 weeks on Maui thought such a reminder could be useful

With most victims that I’ve read about being over 50, they need to be aware of their limitations. By doing that it’s possible to enjoy snorkeling or other water activities in the warm blue waters of Hawaii. :D

Several people in Hawaii have died recently from using the new full face mask vs the snorkel kind. CO2 builds up in the mask from your breath and people are not aware they are getting woozey. If you snorkel please use the old style eye/nose mask + snorkel.

Several people in Hawaii have died recently from using the new full face mask vs the snorkel kind. CO2 builds up in the mask from your breath and people are not aware they are getting woozey. If you snorkel please use the old style eye/nose mask + snorkel.

That issue & other ones are reasons that Snorkle Bob’s rentals does not have them & more information is in the 2nd link.

“Wintner said the carbon dioxide buildup “is profound,” and that the masks fog up. His team of experts, whom he called real “water dogs,” said they felt claustrophobic with the masks”.

That issue & other ones are reasons that Snorkle Bob’s rentals does not have them & more information is in the 2nd link.

“Wintner said the carbon dioxide buildup “is profound,” and that the masks fog up. His team of experts, whom he called real “water dogs,” said they felt claustrophobic with the masks”.

Agree with you. That is what I have read and heard .. I will stick with the old style.

As someone who always experienced issues with a traditional mask and snorkel, ( bad fit, leaks into mask, getting water into my mouth, fogging, feelings of suffocation, made me very ill at ease). I used a new Tribord full face mask on a recent S Pacific Cruise. I did my research and bought one of the top two rated brands. These masks are not intended for use in diving below the surface. I experienced no issue with fogging or leaking, and to the best of my knowledge, no issues with carbon dioxide build up despite hours long use in the water on several snorkel trips. It was very easy to slide up off the face at any time, yet would completely seal when lowered back down.

I am a huge fan of this mask, and in fact will go so far as to say that it probably saved my life on one occasion. Had I had on a traditional mask and snorkel, no doubt I would have been fish food. I am a “good” swimmer, but as a Senior, am finding that I tire and become short of breath quickly. I am wary of snorkeling in strong currents where a lot of energy may need to be expended for this reason. Nonetheless, things happen, and on a snorkel tour, while floating about being mesmerized by fishes and corals, I raised my head and was a little alarmed to see snorkel boats and snorkelers much farther away than I was comfortable with. I quickly started swimming in that direction only to find that with the current pushing against me, I was making zero to negative progress even with maximum effort. I had to talk myself down from a near state of panic on several occasions.

Only the fact that I had on this full face mask, which allowed me to breathe normally with my face in the water kept me calm enough to get back within view of the boat after a very long and exhausting fight against the current. Even in full view of the ladder, I would get swept past the boat. The operator had to enter the water to help me reach the ladder.

Seems to me that many, with no real evidence, have passed judgement on this type of mask. Let’s wait for the testing to see if the concerns about carbon dioxide are founded. People have been dying with traditional snorkels for many years. Where’s the hue and cry that they are “unsafe”?

Seems to me that many, with no real evidence, have passed judgement on this type of mask. Let’s wait for the testing to see if the concerns about carbon dioxide are founded. People have been dying with traditional snorkels for many years. Where’s the hue and cry that they are “unsafe”?

Thanks for sharing your positive experiences with the one piece mask & how it benefited you. Such experiences are important to this discussion when each of us decides which is our best option.

As the article stated it’ll take years to do research to determine whether carbon dioxide is a problem. As you wrote, deaths have occurred for years with 2 piece snorkeling systems. And due to privacy laws, victim’s families rarely disclose to news sources whether a death was a result of drowning or because of an underlying health issue due to overexertion.

You’re a diligent snorkeler who is aware of your surroundings however too many ignore the conditions...both the water & their physical conditioning.

Sadly since I started this thread, 2 more visitors have died while snorkeling in Maui...a 66 year old Canadian man & yesterday an 80 year old man from Alaska...for a total of 10 deaths in 2018.

I was at Ulua Beach yesterday for our morning walk & the normally calm beach was extremely rough. Wave faces were 6’ to 7’ with rough water but that didn’t prevent that man from snorkeling by himself in turbulent water with no visibility. He died shortly after we left the beach but there were only surfers & boarders in the water & no one was on the beach.

Whether he died from drowning or overexertion...he made a fatal decision by going into the ocean without considering the conditions.

http://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2018/02/alaska-visitor-dies-while-snorkeling-in-south-maui/

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thank you for starting this thread.

I remember the first time we visited Maui we were warned about this and took very careful precautions with our family.

Keith

As shown in the Maui County water safety video, flash flooding also kills people & sadly that happened last week at the Wailuku River near Hilo.

https://www.hawaii247.com/2018/01/26/hikers-swept-into-wailuku-river-by-flash-flood-woman-still-missing/

Hawaii is a great place to visit but everyone needs to exercise caution to do it safely.

True. Snorkeling is a skill that must be acquired. Staying in shallow water, not panicking when a wave hits you, understanding your limits and abilities, etc. Regardless of the type of mask you use. I personally would not use the full face mask. I will stick to old style. In Japan I even found a mask that has a eye prescription in the glass so you can see without your specs.

Sad year so far for Maui. 10 tourist deaths.

True. Snorkeling is a skill that must be acquired. Staying in shallow water, not panicking when a wave hits you, understanding your limits and abilities, etc. Regardless of the type of mask you use. I personally would not use the full face mask. I will stick to old style. In Japan I even found a mask that has a eye prescription in the glass so you can see without your specs.

Sad year so far for Maui. 10 tourist deaths.

My wife discovered the 2 section diopter masks decades ago which allows adjusting for each eye. :)

What’s most troubling is that most of the 10 recent deaths were in good conditions. Whether the deaths are a result of panicked inexperienced snorkelers who drown or overexertion by unhealthy people, sadly the result has been death. :(

I was introduced to these on a cruise in August. A couple we met on board had the Tribord masks and allowed us to try them.

I have snorkeled with traditional gear since I was a child, a LONG time ago. I am also a professional in occupational health and safety, and an engineer by training.

Based on our experience, I bought one for my SO, as she liked them a lot more than the traditional snorkel equipment. I enjoyed using the system, but not enough that I would purchase one over my traditional gear.

The Tribord design does not appear to be susceptible to CO2 buildup. With the Tribord, the breathing zone of the user is similar to a half face respirator, inside the mask. Incoming air enters the main part of the mask. It then enters the breathing area through one way valves.

Upon exhale, the one way valves prevent the exhaled air (higher in CO2) form entering the main part of the mask. And the expelled air, exits a one way exhaust valve outside the mask entirely.

Thus, every breath is mainly fresh air, with a slight amount of exhaled air in the smaller inner mask area.

Now, if someone were to remove the intake valves (or damage them) on the inner mask, then exhaled air could return to the main part of the mask, and you could get CO2 build up.

But as designed, working properly, I do not see this occuring.

• 7 months later...

Just another reminder about respecting the ocean conditions...if in doubt, don’t go out which is the message in this Maui County video.

Sadly today saw people carrying a victim to shore to administer CPR at Mokapu Beach in front of the Andaz hotel in Wailea. These beaches are routinely very safe but conditions change. Unlike most of the previous victims who were elderly & probably had underlying health issues, this victim appeared to be in her 20s.

Most wisely stayed out of the water because of high surf warnings & conditions for experienced surfers/boarders.

It took over 10 minutes for emergency responders to arrive & haven’t heard if she survived.

Enjoy the ocean but please respect the changing conditions to safely visit Hawaii.