Road to Hana full circle & Haleakala summit sunset same day

jowens4201979

Going on the Carnival Legend to Maui April 2019 docking in Kahului. Will be on the island from 7am-11pm. Interested in renting a car and doing the RTH. If we were to do the full circle RTH and go all the way around would stopping at Haleakala Park for sunset be that far out of the way. Coming around the back way mapquest says it would be about an hour to go up to the summit instead of just driving past. I do understand there will be a alot of time in the car. We do have plenty of time on the island so don't think that would be a problem. Don't mind being out all day cause we will be stuck on the ship 5 days on the way to Vancouver to relax after Maui. Just curious on opinions but sure most will think it's to much. Thanks

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Most would say it's too much, yes. Also, most rental car companies forbid driving the backside of Hana--you will need to read your rental contract carefully or rent a Jeep (do not leave ANY valuables visible on the RTH). Also the route past the Oheo Gulch often closes--it is closed currently in fact. It appears sunset in April 2019 is at 6:40 and ideally you want to be at the summit 30-minutes to an hour before that. And then you are driving back to Kahului in the dark. With stops, you would be cutting it close to sunset I think. Also the road to the summit is almost as winding as the RTH. It sounds brutal to me, personally. Doable yes, advisable, no.

The "Road to Hana" is great if you have TONS of time to kill....there are plenty of other picturesque places on Maui, that don't require a full day of driving. I wouldn't recommend doing that when you only have 1 or 2 days on the island. Too much other great stuff to see and do. If you're there for a week to 10 days...sure! It's a great way to kill a day.

Get yourself a guidebook and see what Maui offer...all OVER the island!

Coming around the back way mapquest says it would be about an hour to go up to the summit instead of just driving past.

Just remember that the cars that went up at their own pace pre-sunset may be going down pretty much together post-sunset and allow time for that and driving unfamiliar road in the dark. Also allow time to get to the airport, return the car, get transportation to the harbor and walk to the ship before the all-aboard time. If you have others in the car that you want to drop off at the ship before returning the car, consider that extra time needed too. This is not meant to be negative, but as a caution that many things may run later than you think they will.