Disembarkation advice required

FraserK

Hi

We are intending on sending on our 2 large cases and will only have a kilt bag and an overnight bag when we leave. Realistically, what time can we book our return rail travel to Scotland? Think it is only 10 minutes in a taxi to the rail station? Are there plenty taxis at the port?

First time cruiser so sorry if these questions seem stupid!!

Thanks for any advice - we are on Arcadia.

Kat

Hi

We are intending on sending on our 2 large cases and will only have a kilt bag and an overnight bag when we leave. Realistically, what time can we book our return rail travel to Scotland? Think it is only 10 minutes in a taxi to the rail station? Are there plenty taxis at the port?

Kat

Hi, not stupid questions at all :-)

When we have sailed from Southampton I am pretty sure that you can apply for self disembarkation where you carry off your own luggage. This is usually about an hour or less from when the ship docks in Southampton. From memory we have arrived on 3 of our cruises at about 7am or even earlier. Having said that we did self disembarkation once and Oceana was delayed so we were 2 hours late arriving. It was chaos. Personally after that I would plan in some slack in to your plans just incase ...

There are loads of taxis at the terminal though it may be good to book a taxi to make sure that you get to the station on time.

Having said this I am sure that there are people who have done the same journey as you many times and they may have better info

Which ship and where are you off to by the way?

We have self disembarked a few times and things have gone smoothly.We tend to self disembark as soon as they allow you to and then get a taxi to the station.There have always been taxis available though we usually have the phone number of a taxi firm in case there isn t.We usually arrive at the station at about 8 30 or 9am (if its a long time before our train is due we wait at the Costa opposite the station)and usually book a train that leaves after 9 30am.There is the risk that if the ship docks late, we miss the train and have to pay the full fare but it is so much cheaper to buy an advance ticket that we are prepared to take that risk and accept if it does happen one day we will have to buy new tickets on the day.First time we did this we chose a ticket for 11am but now opt for 9 30 or 10am

If you're using the baggagehandling co, they state that they will be there at 8am.

This put us in a quandry, so we booked for the 9.15 ish train north, but PO wouldn't allow us off before that time, as it was for coach travellers only. The only way round it was to self disembark, which is a problem with big cases. Anyway, we managed, and the baggage co. were already waiting at 7.50, with our names listed.

We took a taxi and caught the 8.15 instead.

We usually catch the 8.15- haven't missed it in quite a few cruises now- change at Wolverhampton for the Glasgow train.

Thanks for your replies.

We will be using the Baggage Handling Company - do you have to take your cases off for them and do they have an area where we can find them?

Possibly looking at 10.30am train back North?

Thanks again.

Kat:D

You may already be aware so please ignore me if you are. You can't take a real Sgian Dubh onboard with your kilt.

You can take one of the ones that looks real at the top but is just plastic under the sock line, most highland outfitters sell them.

Have a lovely cruise.

If you use the baggage company you self disembark early and take your cases yourself to them, they say 9 am but they are usually there earlier. Just go to reception and request the time you want to be off and they will try to oblige, and yes there are plenty of taxis. One tip when you hand over your suitcases to the baggage company write down the date they give you for briniging back your cases, we had a mixup once.

Hi

Kat

We always carry our own cases off no problems.

It might be better booking a flight with Flybe to Glasgow or Edinburgh we usually fly to Newcastle, any day there are plenty of flights except for Saturday.The airport is only 25 minutes away by taxi.

We always carry our own cases off no problems.

It might be better booking a flight with Flybe to Glasgow or Edinburgh we usually fly to Newcastle, any day there are plenty of flights except for Saturday.The airport is only 25 minutes away by taxi.

If you dont mind me asking, are taxis readily available at the airport or is it best to pre book?, also what sort of fare do they charge from airport to cruise teminal?

Thanks everyone

Going by train because we are getting good fares and we have a railcard which makes it a good bit cheaper and in my opinion more relaxing.

Now I am in a quandry as to which time to book after reading all the replies. Might go so the 9.30am mmmmmmm

Kat

If you dont mind me asking, are taxis readily available at the airport or is it best to pre book?, also what sort of fare do they charge from airport to cruise teminal?

You walk outside arrivals and facing you to the right is the airport taxis desk.They are the only taxis allowed at the airport entrance and you are given a fixed price for your destination usually £20-£25.

Thanks everyone

Going by train because we are getting good fares and we have a railcard which makes it a good bit cheaper and in my opinion more relaxing.

Now I am in a quandry as to which time to book after reading all the replies. Might go so the 9.30am mmmmmmm

Kat

If you are early there is a cafe serving breakfast and sandwiches,tea and coffee etc.

When we have got the train back to Durham we check for the no changes train around 9.47 am because there are plenty of trains but most of them you have to make between 1-4 train changes.

Thanks everyone

Kat

With a railcard the earliest train you can catch must leave after 9.30am from Southampton. I have to travel up to Buckinghamshire a fair amount and the earliest train I can catch is the 9.46 to Newcastle (changing at oxford or Banbury)

Thanks for all your replies.

Last question on this topic.... do you normally disembark via which deck your on or cabin choice? Think I read in a post that Suites can disembark anytime? If so does that include mini suites?

I am dithering here on what time to book my train back ;p;p;p

Kat

Thanks for all your replies.

Last question on this topic.... do you normally disembark via which deck your on or cabin choice? Think I read in a post that Suites can disembark anytime? If so does that include mini suites?

I am dithering here on what time to book my train back ;p;p;p

Kat

If you are self disembarking you will be one of the first off the ship just be ready at the gangway.