If inflation is now 0 %. Oil / fuel has dropped in price. Exchange rates have improved greatly.

Why are Thomson's cruises becoming more expensive.

I remember a few years ago having to pay a fuel supplement on my cruise because the oil prices had increased.

Does this mean we can expect cheaper cruises from Thomson soon?

If inflation is now 0 %. Oil / fuel has dropped in price. Exchange rates have improved greatly.

I remember a few years ago having to pay a fuel supplement on my cruise because the oil prices had increased.

Dream on Nancy. It will never happen.

Can you imagine if it did though, imagine a discounted cruise getting cheaper, oh what a joy !

But it aint gonna happen.

What a pity.

Imagine all the extra cocktails you could enjoy for the decrease in the price of a cruise !

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn loves a bargain too !!

Due to the way they sell cruises/pay commission to agents from what I understand.

Our TA (not a Thomson one) told me Thomson had cut their commission as they wanted everyone to book online. He used to be able to beat the online price but not now.

Dear Sheila

We were informed the very same by our usual travel agent. There is now no incentive to book a Thomson cruise except through Thomson's.

Mike

Our local TA has said the same. They used to beat the Thomson web price but can no longer do so as Thomson has cut their commission.

The point I was trying to make is that Thomson are quick to add a fuel supplement to their holidays when the price of fuel goes up, but never reduce the prices when the price of fuel drops or exchange rates become more favourable as they are at the moment.

Thomson's prices are still ok, but only if you can get a late deal.

We were looking at cruises to the Caribbean next winter and find that 14 nights in January flying from Glasgow is actually slightly cheaper on the new Britannia than on the Thomson Dream. The Dream balcony cabins are a lot more expensive than Britannia's.

The drinks prices on Britannia are similar to Thomson and although tips are around £4 pp per day, the tips can be removed. We always tip on Thomson anyway, around the same amount as we would be paying on Britannia if we were to leave the tips in place. Although tipping on Thomson is of course optional, we always tip as we think the crew give good service, work hard and are really helpful and friendly.

However there are many good incentives to book on Britannia at the moment. With Thomson having no loyalty scheme as such, after so many enjoyable cruises with Thomson over the years, it looks like we will be jumping ship again for our next cruise.

Love the idea of the " new " ship for next year. Hoping for new itineraries and reasonable prices.

Our local TA has said the same. They used to beat the Thomson web price but can no longer do so as Thomson has cut their commission.

The point I was trying to make is that Thomson are quick to add a fuel supplement to their holidays when the price of fuel goes up, but never reduce the prices when the price of fuel drops or exchange rates become more favourable as they are at the moment.

i cant seem to recall them actually adding fuel supplements for a few years now, even when the oil price was at the top of the tree, prices are up and down all the time so can not be related to fuel costs, what has exchange rates got to do with it.

Edited by okavango

The Dream balcony cabins are a lot more expensive than Britannia's.

That is because the only cabins on the Dream that have a balcony are the Grand Suites, whereas most, if not all of Britannia's standard outside cabins have a balcony. So a cheaper standard of cabin is available with a balcony on Britannia. As Britannia will be covering the same ground as the Celebration though, it would be more comparable to look at the prices on that ship rather than the Dream. The Celebration has more balconies than the Dream, but from what I've seen they can be rather expensive too.

Thomson have been busy adding balconies to their ships in the pretence that everyone wants one. Yes we do Thomson, but not at any price.

Here's hoping Splendour's balcony cabins will be reasonably priced, as I can't see them filling their 400+ balcony cabins if they're the same price as the Celebration's! Same goes to all the suites onboard that ship!

Thank you for the info re. balconies on the Dream. There are no flights from Glasgow or any Scottish airports for cruises on the Celebration to the Caribbean this season or next winter either, so unable to make a comparison with the Celebration. Price for a grand suite on the Dream far too expensive for us.

i cant seem to recall them actually adding fuel supplements for a few years now, even when the oil price was at the top of the tree, prices are up and down all the time so can not be related to fuel costs, what has exchange rates got to do with it.

Having cruised with Thomson for about 17 years, we have had fuel supplements added a few times when the oil prices were high.

Exchange rates are more likely to affect cruise and stay or hotel holidays in Europe.

According to an article in today's newspaper, last month the pound hit a seven-year high against the euro knocking about £70 off the cost of a £500 holiday.

That is because the only cabins on the Dream that have a balcony are the Grand Suites, whereas most, if not all of Britannia's standard outside cabins have a balcony. So a cheaper standard of cabin is available with a balcony on Britannia.

Every single outside cabin on Britannia has a balcony. I've not seen any other balconys on cruise ships but they seemed incredibly small to me.