HAL Amalfi Coast & Sorrento excursion

euro cruiser

I was just skimming through the Summer 2017 issue of the HAL Mariner magazine, mostly looking for new ports of call, when I noticed their "top pick" entitled Amalfi Coast & Sorrento.

The details include a stop in Sorrento at a wood working "factory" (read sales presentation), a drive along the coast in a bus, and a stop in Amalfi.

I would be beyond annoyed to pay the fees they charge for their excursions and wind up with a long bus ride (in which half of the people have a view of nothing but the rocky side of the cliff for much of the day), a sales presentation, and a couple of hours in Amalfi, in my opinion the least charming town along the coast.

Here, page 19/48: https://digital.cenveomobile.com/publication/?i=411502&p=&pn=&WT.mc_id=email_HEL1724MM&WT.dcsvid=415213362&stop_mobi=yes&lid=mcncta#{%22issue_id%22:411502,%22page%22:18}

My very favourite tour is from italytoursharing.com port of Naples. Im assuming that is the port you are stopping in. GO to their web site and book the Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi, Lunch at La Tagglianno tour. Go to your roll call and get 8 people together. I guarantee, you will have an amazing experience and it is cheaper!! I have done this tour 3 time, yes, 3 times, hahahah... I love it!! This summer Im staying in Sorrento and going to enjoy a few more days. My very favourite place!!

I was just skimming through the Summer 2017 issue of the HAL Mariner magazine, mostly looking for new ports of call, when I noticed their "top pick" entitled Amalfi Coast & Sorrento.

The details include a stop in Sorrento at a wood working "factory" (read sales presentation), a drive along the coast in a bus, and a stop in Amalfi.

I would be beyond annoyed to pay the fees they charge for their excursions and wind up with a long bus ride (in which half of the people have a view of nothing but the rocky side of the cliff for much of the day), a sales presentation, and a couple of hours in Amalfi, in my opinion the least charming town along the coast.

Here, page 19/48: https://digital.cenveomobile.com/publication/?i=411502&p=&pn=&WT.mc_id=email_HEL1724MM&WT.dcsvid=415213362&stop_mobi=yes&lid=mcncta#{%22issue_id%22:411502,%22page%22:18}

...and I bet the cost is astronomical.

The thing that bugs me the absolute MOST about the ship sponsored excursions is the long amounts of time spent in forced shopping venues.

Someone once pointed out to me that if you go on a tour with one of these stops, you are a) paying for a guide for the entire trip but not utilizing them for anywhere from a half hour to an hour at one of these stops; b) if you buy something you're probably paying more money than you should, and c) your guide or the tour company that arranged the stop will get a kickback from what you spend.

No thank you. If I want to shop, I'll do it on my own time.

One of the most popular highlights (if not the most popular) of the entire Amalfi Coast...is visiting the clffside town of Positano. You might notice that whenever you take a bus tour (from HAL or anyone else) it will say something like "you will see Positano" which is literally true. Yes, you will "see" Positano from the road (looking down to the city) but you will not have an opportunity to actually go into Positano, show, walk, etc. Tour buses are simply not permitted in that city. That is why many experienced travelers recommend taking a private tour (in a car or mini van) or using the public bus or hydrofoil...to actually go to Positano. To us, the 2nd best place near the coast is Ravello.....also skipped by many tours.

Hank

We went on this tour two years ago and thought it was a good tour. Just know which side of the bus to sit on. I like to take pictures and was worried that it would not be good sitting on the bus. I took over 400 pictures a lot of which are great. While I am often not a fan of the larger bus here it was good because I was higher up and able to see over the wall as we travelled. Do not think I would have had as good a view in a car. Again, snag a seat on the right side of the bus (side opposite the driver).

We stop in Amalfi and have a choice of boat to Positano, time in Positano and then back to Amalfi

or

Coach to Positano, time in Positano and on the way back to Amalfi a stop at San Pietro Hotel for an Italian lunch while taking in the spectacular view from the hotel's cliff-top location.

Anyone been to this hotel? Is it a worthwhile stop?

Can't speak to that Hotel other then to wonder if a group lunch (with 60 or so other cruisers is everyone's idea of a romantic lunch). As to a Coach to Positano, that is actually a great idea not done by many cruise lines. The reason is because the Coach cannot actually take you down the road that goes into Positano. They would have to drop you along the Amalfi Drive...and you would then need to walk down into the town (and later walk up). There is a regional bus line that does run small buses (I call the the Orange buses) from the Amalfi Drive (the road) into the town. So it is possible for somebody to be dropped on the Amalfi Drive (which is above the town) and then catch the Orange bus....to minimize walking. It is also possible to catch that bus at the lower stop in Positano and get a ride up and out of the town.

I do recall being in Positano one day and walking up the steep road to our parked car. We passed a group of folks who were also trying to hike up to the Amalfi Drive (many do park their cars along that road) and these folks did not look good. Consider that on many cruises you will see an awful lot of folks waiting 10 minutes for an elevator to go down 1 or 2 decks. Trust me that walking in or out of Positano is much more difficult then walking a few flights of steps on a cruise ship.

Hank

Well, I can't agree with the OP's views on Amalfi. I've vacationed on that coast and it's my favourite town. I certainly agree about the tour though. The main reason I avoid ship's tours (apart from the cost) is the time-wasting visits to factories etc. Another one that's often included on tours from Naples is a cameo factory. Does anyone ever buy stuff from these places? I suppose they must do.

Hank how about catching the ferry to Positano from Amalfi? Are you in the centre of town then? And is it a really steep walk to see anything?

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Forums mobile app

Would the ferry be better than the coach?? More scenic?? or just different.

Would the ferry be better than the coach?? More scenic?? or just different.

Not more scenic.....just a different point of view. But a ferry will drop you at the lowest point in Positano which we think is the best option. From there, you can decide how much walking (and climbing) fits your personal desires. There are some decent cafes and restaurants at that lower area.....and also quite a few cute boutiques.

Hank

One of the most popular highlights (if not the most popular) of the entire Amalfi Coast...is visiting the clffside town of Positano. You might notice that whenever you take a bus tour (from HAL or anyone else) it will say something like "you will see Positano" which is literally true. Yes, you will "see" Positano from the road (looking down to the city) but you will not have an opportunity to actually go into Positano, show, walk, etc. Tour buses are simply not permitted in that city. That is why many experienced travelers recommend taking a private tour (in a car or mini van) or using the public bus or hydrofoil...to actually go to Positano. To us, the 2nd best place near the coast is Ravello.....also skipped by many tours.

Hank

Hi Hank,

Hi Hank,

The last 2 times. had a guide for Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano. & Ravello Do you suggest a guide again or what do you think about renting a car? Is parking an issue? We will port in Salerno, there are 4 adults and 1 child. Or any other suggestions? We port at Salerno this time.

(I posted a similar question on a wrong thread)

Thanks for any help

Trish