Taking Questions -- Cruise Critic Special Coverage of Hurricane Anniversary

Brittany C

Hello,

I am an editor here at Cruise Critic and I will be heading out a month from today to St. Maarten/Martin -- in addition to Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and St. John -- to report on how the cruise ports are doing nearly one year after Hurricanes Maria and Irma hit. I am only in each port for about three days, but would love to hear comments, questions and suggestions about your favorite shore excursions, restaurants or other special places you've come to discover on a cruise in these destinations. Look forward to reporting back.

Thank you!

Hello,

I am an editor here at Cruise Critic and I will be heading out a month from today to St. Maarten/Martin -- in addition to Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and St. John -- to report on how the cruise ports are doing nearly one year after Hurricanes Maria and Irma hit. I am only in each port for about three days, but would love to hear comments, questions and suggestions about your favorite shore excursions, restaurants or other special places you've come to discover on a cruise in these destinations. Look forward to reporting back.

Thank you!

Can you get to Friars Beach?

We spent a delightful week on the beach in a condo right next door to The Rainbow Cafe in Grand Case a few years back. Please visit Grand Case and let us know how The Rainbow Cafe and all the other wonderful restaurants and the people that work and live there are doing. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Question, it was reported the Dutch side was able to begin repairs sooner because of French Bureaucracy. Is this true? The French side did seem far behind on May 1st, 2018. Any update on the French side. An update from Club Orient would be nice.

We spent a delightful week on the beach in a condo right next door to The Rainbow Cafe in Grand Case a few years back. Please visit Grand Case and let us know how The Rainbow Cafe and all the other wonderful restaurants and the people that work and live there are doing. Thank you!

When we were there in March, the Rainbow was the only restaurant open on Grand Case. Lunch there was great!

Hello,

Thank you!

I would love to find out how Little Divi Bay and Pinel Island are doing. They are my two favorite places in St Maartin. When we stopped in St Maartin while on our January cruise, it seemed that Sunset Beach in Maho was just fine......but my two favorite places were still having repairs. If you have time, please report if Little Divi Bay still has the soft sand going gradually into the ocean that they did last year before storm.

Thank you. :)

Kris

• 2 weeks later...

Love to here about progress or any kind of time table for Orient Beach to have some places up and running. Seems like most of the reports are cabs are hard to get and there is only a few p,aces on the clothing optional side running.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Would love updates on Emerald Beach, Sapphire Beach, Orient Beach and Water Island. To include food/drink availability, restroom facilities, chair/umbrella availability and actual beach conditions. Would also love to know about the French side of St Martin - in the marina are the bakeries up and running, are the vendors back? How long does it take to get back and forth between French and Dutch side and what time did you go? TYIA!!!

• 3 weeks later...
I want to go with you!

Thank you and look forward to your reports, I'll be down there on the anniversary of irma.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Forums mobile app

Hi!

It was a great trip, returned late last week. Islanders are in fantastic spirits. Coverage coming to the site midway through the month, so please look for it! (I will post here.) Have a wonderful trip.

~Brittany Chrusciel, Cruise Critic Editor

We’ve seen mixed reviews on Case Beach, and it’s currently available facilities. Would love to know if it’s worth the drive over as it stands now. Thanks!!

Hi Megan!

We did not visit Grand Case Beach proper, but we did drive past the area. Select businesses and areas are open, but we will be honest that this area was hard hit, and it's still recovering. Still worth a visit -- most of the beaches are open despite a current lack of concessions (might be smart to bring some drinks and snacks). Rainbow Restaurant is open for business!

Have a great time.

Hi Ski Mom,

While the French side, including Grand Case, was hard hit, we are happy to report that the Rainbow Cafe has been renovated, reopened and is better than ever! Unfortunately, that is not the case with many of the surrounding restaurants. We have faith that in time, more will come back.

Happy Cruising!

Question, it was reported the Dutch side was able to begin repairs sooner because of French Bureaucracy. Is this true? The French side did seem far behind on May 1st, 2018. Any update on the French side. An update from Club Orient would be nice.

Hi Bill,

Due to government regulations on the French side that are dictating stricter building codes, it is a slow but steady recovery process there. Still, there are patches that are reopening for business. Bikini Beach, in Orient Bay, just reopened a few weeks ago with gorgeous new facilities -- we highly recommend checking it out.

Happy Cruising!

I would love to find out how Little Divi Bay and Pinel Island are doing. They are my two favorite places in St Maartin. When we stopped in St Maartin while on our January cruise, it seemed that Sunset Beach in Maho was just fine......but my two favorite places were still having repairs. If you have time, please report if Little Divi Bay still has the soft sand going gradually into the ocean that they did last year before storm.

Thank you. :)

Kris

Hi Kris!

We're so happy to hear you made it back in January, and so much has continued to reopen in the past six months. The Divi Little Bay Beach Resort has reopened and even though we didn't personally get a chance to dip our toes in the sand, the cheerleading squad of the New England Patriots were there during our time in St. Maarten and we hear they were enjoying the amenities and shooting their calendar -- so we assume it's back!

We heard that Pinel Island has reopened and on ship days, ferries do run. We were unable to visit during our short stay, so we can't report on the conditions, but the beaches seem to be recovering the best of all the attractions.

Thank you for the interest -- our full report will be published in the coming weeks so stay tuned.

Happy Cruising!

I cannot wait to hear your reports. We sail to St. Thomas and St. Martin this fall. It will be good to know how things are progressing post hurricanes.

Reports will be posted here in mid-August! Thank you for the interest and enjoy your cruise in the fall. We think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Love to here about progress or any kind of time table for Orient Beach to have some places up and running. Seems like most of the reports are cabs are hard to get and there is only a few p,aces on the clothing optional side running.

Hello there!

A small bar/snack shack was open and running on the clothing-optional side, with chairs and umbrellas. Luckily, Bikini Beach in Orient Bay is back and looking better than ever -- they reopened to locals during the World Cup finals; we visited the facilities last week and they're gorgeous. Not a lot of concessions elsewhere in the area, outside of Bikini, that we are aware of at this time.

Happy Cruising!

Also lime to see a St Johns report. I know the park beaches are open. How is the rest of the island recovering.

We did stop in St. John and it is coming back. Large swaths of the parklands were severely damaged, which is sad, but Cruz Bay was bustling. Cinnamon Bay is still negotiating with the Park Service about fully reopening; Caneel Bay is closed at this time. The ferries from Red Hook in St. Thomas are running so we encourage a visit -- Trunk Bay is open, free of charge for now. Rentals and bathrooms are available but no food/drink.

Happy Cruising!