excursion charges

Sachmo

Just did a quick look at one of our cruises (February, 2019) and our two Regent Choice excursions went up (one from $70/person to $94.00/person). As I said, this is the first time I've heard of an excursion going from "free" to having a cost. While I don't mind the increase and understand prices going up from the time that we booked excursions to now, it is still surprising.

Perhaps we all need to double check our excursions for our booked cruises.

Jackie,

I just checked our Feb. 2019 cruise from Santiago to Los Angeles, which you refer to above. I compared the original excursion pdf file with the current pdf file. With the exception of two "free" excursions added in Guatemala and one "free" excursion removed in Cabo San Lucas, the two pdfs are identical. There were no price increases to formerly "free" or Regent Choice excursions.

I believe the price increase you see from $70 to $94 (actually $99) is a net price after a 5% Concierge and above discount plus a 25% Titanium discount from the normal $99 tour price.

I'll provide another point of reference. We have two cruises which are in the timeframe where excursions could be (and have been) booked. I checked all of the excursions we have booked and a few others. I did not compare every excursion (perhaps selfish, but I just wanted to see if we were affected):

December in the Western Caribbean (plus Cuba) on Voyager: no changes...all our "free" (quite a few) are still no cost...Regent Choice excursion to Chichen Itza was the same price as when booked

February around Cape Horn on the Explorer: no changes...all our "free" (a few) are still no cost...Regent Choice excursions (many) were the same price as when booked which is good since, as an earlier poster alluded to, I've been planning to cancel and rebook once onboard to take advantage of our new-to-that-cruise Platinum status and discount

So, it seems this issue is hit our miss

I'd also add that I'd expect, as most in this situation have stated, that if I'd booked an excursion and the price has changed that I would be grandfathered (and actually qualify for "grandfathering").

Jackie,

I just checked our Feb. 2019 cruise from Santiago to Los Angeles, which you refer to above. I compared the original excursion pdf file with the current pdf file. With the exception of two "free" excursions added in Guatemala and one "free" excursion removed in Cabo San Lucas, the two pdfs are identical. There were no price increases to formerly "free" or Regent Choice excursions.

I believe the price increase you see from $70 to $94 (actually $99) is a net price after a 5% Concierge and above discount plus a 25% Titanium discount from the normal $99 tour price.

Thank you! I forgot about our discount. Based on responses, it seems that the changes in price is not widespread and the increases in pricing in South Africa could simply be contract changes.

After reading this, I decided to book a few excursions on my March cruise. I booked one successfully, and when I tried to book the second one, I got an error message. Then my reservation disappeared, and the site won't let me enter it again. My profile is still on the site, but the number of cruises I've taken and my saved cruises are also missing. :(

After reading this, I decided to book a few excursions on my March cruise. I booked one successfully, and when I tried to book the second one, I got an error message. Then my reservation disappeared, and the site won't let me enter it again. My profile is still on the site, but the number of cruises I've taken and my saved cruises are also missing. :(

Don’t worry. Mine also disappeared. It’s just a website glitch; happens from time to time. Things shoul be back to normal by Monday at the latest.

So it looks like Regent are reducing or phasing out free (i.e. included) excursions and offering more Regent Choice (i.e. paid for but “subsidised”) excursions instead :(

Hopefully a representative from Regent will come on here to explain their change in excursion arrangements.

There has been no change to our Free Shore Excursion offering.

Over the last couple of months, a total of 22 shore excursions from our global collection of 1500+ options received pricing updates. This is standard practice and mostly due to operator cost increases and/or slight tour program changes.

It's important to note, our Free Shore Excursions or Regent Choice Shore Excursions pricing is subject to change at any time and only confirmed at time of booking.

Thank you Jason. Your response is pretty much what I expected. Operator costs increases, etc. do affect pricing on excursions. It seems that the upcoming Africa cruise was affected by these increases. When you look at the overall experience and cost, it really is no big deal.

While I am not 100% turned around in terms of included excursions, I am beginning to understand why they are offered. What drives me a bit crazy is people not respecting the program by failing to cancel their excursions in advance. This causes delays and other issues on the day of the excursion. People have to waitlist themselves in the theater and wait to see who does not show up. This does not mean that I would not like the opportunity to opt out. There are so many Regent cruisers that have visited the same ports numerous times (our choice of course) and just do not want to take any excursions but end up paying for them in the fare. Thankfully there are Regent Choice excursions that out be cancelled in advance or you will lose the money that you paid!

Just wanted to chime in here, and mention that one of the Regent Choice excursions price actually went down from the time I booked it when excursions opened up for my cruise. It was brought to Regents attention, and they promptly refunded the money by crediting my credit card. This is what was expected and glad Regent did this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There has been no change to our Free Shore Excursion offering.

Over the last couple of months, a total of 22 shore excursions from our global collection of 1500+ options received pricing updates. This is standard practice and mostly due to operator cost increases and/or slight tour program changes.

It's important to note, our Free Shore Excursions or Regent Choice Shore Excursions pricing is subject to change at any time and only confirmed at time of booking.

Thank you for the clarification, Jason.

I obviously jumped to the wrong conclusion :o