conflicting data on dress code

You leave a major part out of you quote. It would have been more accurate to have quoted as it reads, “suggested dress code”. It doesn’t say requested or required.

Definition

Suggestion

A suggestion is an idea someone proposes. You can accept or reject a suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But you do understand that they would prefer that you dress as "suggested" right? I agree that they aren't going to force you to dress a certain way but by publishing guidelines, you know what they would like to see you wear. Totally up to you as to whether or not you abide.

I think that really is the issue. Those that feel it is appropriate to dress as suggested and to do otherwise would be rude and those that believe it is perfectly fine to ignore the suggestions. And it doesn't appear to be generational. And there will never be agreement.

But it is interesting.

But you do understand that they would prefer that you dress as "suggested" right? I agree that they aren't going to force you to dress a certain way but by publishing guidelines, you know what they would like to see you wear. Totally up to you as to whether or not you abide.

I think that really is the issue. Those that feel it is appropriate to dress as suggested and to do otherwise would be rude and those that believe it is perfectly fine to ignore the suggestions. And it doesn't appear to be generational. And there will never be agreement.

But it is interesting.

Personally, I abide by the suggested dress code. I wear slacks/long pants and a collared shirt. That’s as good as it gets anymore. I dressed up for work(Suit and tie) and a military uniform, the majority of my life. I used to suit and tie it for formal nights but got really tired of the hassle and extra packing. We used to travel with two Suit cases and two carryon. We now cruise with one of each now.

Having said all that, what others choose to wear is no bother of mine nor is my business. I just find it difficult to believe what others wear affects ones meal in a Dinning area with 100’s of people. I do believe a lot cruise to dress up. There is still a few places where dressing up is required.

Having said all that, what others choose to wear is no bother of mine nor is my business. I just find it difficult to believe what others wear affects ones meal in a Dinning area with 100’s of people. I do believe a lot cruise to dress up. There is still a few places where dressing up is required.

I really doubt that anyone is really bothered by what others wear. I think they are bothered by the "idea" of what people might wear and also of the "idea" that others choose to ignore the suggested dress code. But I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

Personally, I abide by the suggested dress code. I wear slacks/long pants and a collared shirt. That’s as good as it gets anymore. I dressed up for work(Suit and tie) and a military uniform, the majority of my life. I used to suit and tie it for formal nights but got really tired of the hassle and extra packing. We used to travel with two Suit cases and two carryon. We now cruise with one of each now.

I agree,I always dress smart but leave suits at home these days and what other people wear doesn't bother us although we might talk between ourselves how nice or not someone is dressed but it is a private conversation.

In FAQ’s it is referred to as a dress “code”. Which in my experience is almost always “suggested”. An exception might be a school or the military. For example, my son is getting married next month. We are requesting semi formal dress. But, if a guest showed up in jeans, they would most certainly be welcome. The dress code is usually for the benefit of the guest so that they have some guidance on what to wear and in this case what to pack.

It has been my experience that when dress code is listed (non cruise) the host is not planning on policing wardrobes but ultimately it is up to the guest to comply or not. I’m not sure Royal cares what people wear. I think it is more to prevent anyone from feeling uncomfortable because of the way they are dressed.

If a guest feels comfortable wearing shorts when it is suggested they don’t, I don’t think anyone else should be bothered by it.

So,,, if you read the FAQ, it immediately says SUGGESTED ATTIRE.

And the Cruise Compass is very specific that it is TONIGHT’S DINNER DRESS SUGGESTION, avoiding the word “code”.

You’re on vacation. Wear what you want.

And the Cruise Compass is very specific that it is TONIGHT’S DINNER DRESS SUGGESTION, avoiding the word “code”.

So many here on CC want to interrupt "suggested" as "code". :rolleyes:

Actually, that’s what a dress code is. Suggested attire. Sometimes it is mandatory, sometimes not. I don’t care what anyone wears but there is a dress code. It up to you to comply or ignore since it is not enforced.

I used this example in a previous post. My son is getting married next month and the dress code is “semi formal”. That’s what we’d like people to wear. However, if someone shows up in jeans and a flannel shirt, they will be welcomed with open arms.

It isn’t about being rigid and militant. It’s about making an effort to ensure that people are comfortable and don’t feel over or under dressed. If someone wants to wear gym shorts to the MDR, it won’t bother me. But at some level, I would like to think that it bothered them.

What I don't understand is why people are so up in arms about the dress code when you take into account the quality of the food. Why is it a big deal that everyone dress formal if you are all eating like olive garden or red lobster quality food. It seems more like playing dress up than any thing else. If you want Michelin level of elegance then start with Michelin level food.

What I don't understand is why people are so up in arms about the dress code when you take into account the quality of the food. Why is it a big deal that everyone dress formal if you are all eating like olive garden or red lobster quality food. It seems more like playing dress up than any thing else. If you want Michelin level of elegance then start with Michelin level food.

What don't you understand? Royal Caribbean is trying to provide a dining experience at a certain level. That includes ambiance. You know, decor, tableware, lighting, and, of course a certain level of dress. So they suggest formal for a night or two. As for food quality, you may or may not like the menu choices, but I actually do. And I can confidently say I've never been in a local diner or cafeteria that serves escargot or duck breast, etc. Not that they don't exist, but I've only found those dishes in a nice, upscale restaurant.

Actually, no one is really "up in arms" over the dress. Some people would prefer to eat in a MDR where people dress for a "fine dining" experience, some people prefer to eat in the MDR where they dress for a McDonalds at the beach experience. Individual choices. I guess I might ask, why do so many get upset and snarky because people do support the dress suggestions and prefer others did also?

Haven’t read the whole thread as I promised myself to stay away from dress code threads - too hard to do!

As a 30-year plus cruiser, back to the “good old days of true formal night” I personally don’t care what people wear.

I have commented frequently what does bother me - people who come to dinner in athletic shorts and T-shirts after playing basketball or running, or spending all day in the hot sun either on a shore excursion or beach. Why they can’t shower and change into clean, non-smelly shorts and a shirt is my problem.

I would prefer non-athletic shorts and shirts, and favor slacks/polo, but if you are

going to dress that way, please be clean.

I find this to be more of a problem in the Caribbean.

On forty cruises since my first sailing on Royal Caribbean’s Song Of America in May 1983 have I seen the dress code actually being enforced on one seven day cruise. On a Carnival Valor sailing from Miami ten years ago the Dining Room Manager refused to allow passengers to enter the Main Dining Room wearing shorts, cutoff shirts, flip flops, and baseball caps. He also closed the doors to the dining room fifteen minutes after the beginning of late seating and refused to allow any passengers to enter. My family had a table really close to the entrance and I couldn’t believe that he was being so strict. I figured he was having a bad day. It was one of those one in a million moments that I will always remember.