looking for a cruise for single people

Nicky Carpenter

Hello

I have just gone through a messy divorce and at the age of 29 I am at a crossroads as to what I want to do with my life. I have always wanted to do a cruise holiday and had hoped that it would be with my ex however we never got around to it. Now that I am able to go on one I am a little bit worried about what type of cruise I should go on and have the following questions

Is it ok for a single person to go on a cruise and if so what company and ship would be the best to try?

Are there many other single people in my sort of predicament ie recently divorced?

Would I mix with groups/couples?

I fancy a 14 day cruise and was wondering how many formal nights would there be during this time?

What does formal actually mean? What would I be expected to wear on these nights?

Any other help would be thankfully received. I am ready to book a cruise asap, however I want to make sure I book the right one for me

Thanks

Nicky Carpenter - England

... what company and ship would be the best to try?...

To help you with your research, click here http://www.cruisecritic.com/cruisest...les.cfm?ID=419 for the Cruise Critic article titled Editor's Picks: Best Cruise Lines for Solo Travelers and herehttp://www.cruisecritic.com/cruisest...cles.cfm?ID=21 for another article titled Cruise "Welcome Mat" Varies for Solos.

I hope this information will be helpful!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Hi Nicky

Whilst I am no expert I cruised solo for the first time in January this year to the caribbean and had an amazing holiday. I am not in your age bracket but age doesn't really come into it on cruises as cruise addicts are fun people in general! Though I haven't sailed with Carnival myself I have done a lot of research into solo friendly cruises and Carnival definitely cater well to this group. The other consideration is this web site as once you book you can then look for people who will be sailing on the same ship and arrange to meet,I did and met many people, mainly couples but they were fantastic company and I never felt alone the whole 10 days unless I chose to be alone. Formal doesn't have to be starchy formal and it isn't compulsary.

Good luck with your search and enjoy :)

Julie

Celebrity Galaxy Jan 09

Looking for Feb 10!

Hello

I have just gone through a messy divorce and at the age of 29 I am at a crossroads as to what I want to do with my life. I have always wanted to do a cruise holiday and had hoped that it would be with my ex however we never got around to it. Now that I am able to go on one I am a little bit worried about what type of cruise I should go on and have the following questions

Is it ok for a single person to go on a cruise and if so what company and ship would be the best to try?

Are there many other single people in my sort of predicament ie recently divorced?

I fancy a 14 day cruise and was wondering how many formal nights would there be during this time?

What does formal actually mean? What would I be expected to wear on these nights?

Any other help would be thankfully received. I am ready to book a cruise asap, however I want to make sure I book the right one for me

Thanks

Nicky Carpenter - England

There are cruise companies in the States that do Singles cruises. Either contact a travel agent in your area, or google singles cruises in the UK. There are some out of CA that do Mexico. I know one of that is doing the Western Mediterranean. I'm planning on going to Alaska next July on a singles cruise.

Some cruises are even by age bracket.

Good luck and have fun!!!:D:D:D

For your first cruise I would recommend a singles cruise. I have done four, and it is the only way to travel if you want to mingle with other singles. Just google "singles cruises" and a few companies will show up. I have used both major ones, and they offer the same product, so just pick the itinerary and cruise ship that you would like.

It is a crap shoot if you go on a cruise by yourself. Sometimes there are a bunch of singles, sometimes almost none.

I have cut and pasted a response I gave previously regarding a question abut Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity a single asked about.

"I have cruised on Carnival, NCL, Princess, Celebrity and RCI. My recommendation would be Royal Caribbean. You can cross Celebrity off the list as it is an old person's cruise line. I was on the Solstice in January, and thank goodness I was with a singles group because the pools closed at 8 pm and the decks rolled up after late seating. That leaves Carnival and RCI. My two Carnival cruises were on Conquest class ships, of which the Victory is a close cousin. I really dislike the design of this class of ship, and the main problem was that wherever you go on the ship, you are funneled through a smoking area.

Pools:

Big advantage to RCI. The pools are larger and they have a solarium adult only area - and they enforced it. It was a nice relaxing area that allowed you to escape the kids. The pools are also well spaced which makes the pool areas seem less busy than on Carnival.

Carnival had adult hot tubs at the back of the ship, but this was not enforced on either ship.

Activities:

Tie - RCI has more physical activites - AOS, will have ice skating (I just had to try it once, to say I skated in the Caribbean, but after leaving snow for sand - once was enough), both AOS and SOS will have a rock climbing wall.

Carnival had more games, such as Hairy chest contest. They do have a large water slide, but times were limited.

Shows:

Slight advantage RCI. The ice skating show was the best I have seen at sea. The theater shows were even, but Carnival has an late night adult comedian that was a howl.

Food:

Slight advantage Carnival. The main dining room was better on Carnival, but the buffet was slightly better on RCI.

Bars/lounges:

Advantage RCI - The Carnival Conquest class ships have all the bars stuck inside the ship on the middle decks, which crowd everyone into one area, and all were smoking. The piano bar was nothing but a blue haze. The disco, which was the most popular, was situated right beside the kiddy arcade, so the teenagers would stand outside the bar hoping someone would put down a half finished drink.

RCI has a lounge/nightclub at the top of the ship where you can look at the sea and stars while having a drink. The other lounges are scattered throughout the ship, making it seem less crowded. Some were non-smoking. Bands were about the same on both lines.

Ships:

Advantage RCI: The Royal Caribbean ships were a step above the Carnival ones, in both design and appearance. The Carnival ships have god ugly bright colors throughout - you either love it or hate it. I hated it, but it definitely catches your attention.

Cabins:

Equal - I would highly recommend a balcony. Once you have had one it would be hard to go back to an inside or oceanview.

A 14 day cruise would likely have few singles, I have heard that the longer the cruise, the older the crowd, and the fewer singles would be on board. My guess is Carnival would have a few more singles on board than RCI and they would be younger in age.

jmo"

• 1 month later...

If you have your heart set on a 14 day cruise, I would suggest taking two 7-day cruises back to back, as 14 day cruise passengers tend to be more mature.

You could chose a 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise, stay on the ship in the same cabin, and sail the second week to the Western Caribbean. This would give you a 14 night cruise with a great itinerary but a younger crowd.

Ginnie

Absolutely O.K.! I was on 15 cruises and will be on another one soon.

I wouldn't prefer any particular company. Important things are itinerary, entertainment, quality of food and amenities, plus good weather, of course.

I heard from people who cruised for many years, that Carnival used to be for younger people and singles looking for romance; Holland America was for older crowd, the same was true for Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. I don't believe it's the case now. Much depends on the season and port of departure. Do not sail from San Juan, Boston or New York, as the crowd tends to be much older there. Likewise, Alaska and Canada/ New England cruises tend to have older passengers. The best thing to do is to sail from Florida.

Don't think there are many recently divorced people, but there ARE some single/ divorced people of your age group (and of my age group as well, BTW I am about ten years older:)) Unfortunately, more guys than girls.:(

I never had any problems socializing with people during my cruises, including couples. Romance is a different story.

Any other help would be thankfully received. I am ready to book a cruise asap, however I want to make sure I book the right one for me?

I think, two weeks would be too long for the first time. I never took such long cruises, but most likely they have older passengers there. Try a 7-9 day cruise, with focus on things other than romance or discussion of divorce-related issues with other recently divorced people if you happen to see any.

Do not go on Holland America. You've heard the cruise joke about the average age on board being "deceased"? Make that "embalmed". Very, very boring people, the ship pretty well shuts down at 10 PM.

Just off Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan. Lots of young people, lots of night-time activity, but a lot of Spanish-speaking people.

I think 2 B2B cruises would be a excellent choice. Personally, I like Costa, but I can't recommend any particular line as a good choice for single/solo. I'm not too familiar if you want to sail from the UK. Cunard is fairly singles-friendly, an older crowd, very sociable, but rather formal on the UK sailings where there's no airline baggage limits.

• 1 month later...

I discovered cruising a few years ago when I came out of hospital in New York and didnt want to go back to Calgary and freeze - still recuperating so had to be relatively relaxed and no driving - fellow patient's daughter was taking her on NCL that Sunday and as she was a travel agent, she sorted it for me - lovely - great cabin, suite actually with super attentive staff and I was up and going on tours by 3rd day - and every year, I go to my checkup and then directly on to a cruise - have had upgrades to owners suites, lovely dinners in the nicer restaurants and lots and lots of resting and healing on my sunlounger on my terrace/patio - and meet all sorts of interesting people, some of whom are now friends. I highly recommend it to someone who enjoys their own company plus wants lots of fun etc but also quiet, restful time - works great and I am now in my 5th year doing this BUT

this year I am having a nightmare sorting things with NCL - normally I book the day I know when I am getting out of the clinic - for example, Thursday last week the oncologist said I was good to go on the weekend - did my usual call to the personal cruise consultant - the fellow who has looked after me for several years is no longer there and I just cannot get the deal I want - even although the website is showing empty cabins in the category I am prepared to pay for. No way I am paying 200% to cruise at the last minute - never happened in the last 5 years - why now?

So, is there anyone out there who has cruised solo on any other cruise line (or knows first hand about someone else's experience) - got a decent price - absolutely expect to pay a premium but not double - and found the cruise line friendly towards single lady cruisers - loved everything about NCL including how happy the staff was to make sure I was enjoying myself - will be sad to leave NCL but !!!!!

... So, is there anyone out there who has cruised solo on any other cruise line (or knows first hand about someone else's experience) - got a decent price - absolutely expect to pay a premium but not double - and found the cruise line friendly towards single lady cruisers - loved everything about NCL including how happy the staff was to make sure I was enjoying myself - will be sad to leave NCL but !!!!!

To help you with your research, be sure to click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373 for our Solo Cruisers Forum. You will find lots of information and support from your fellow solo Cruise Critic cruisers there.

If you haven't already, you might want to subscribe to the thread on that forum titled Post CRUISE LINE Single Supplement/Solo Bargains HERE at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=851324. And if you find any good ones on the various cruise line sites during your research, please let everyone know on that thread. Use the Thread Tools feature at the top of the thread to subscribe for notification of future posts to the thread.

Since you love NCL, another thread on the forum you should find interesting is titled Norwegian Epic solo "studio" cabins announcement at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1120474. Also, click here http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3634 for the Cruise Critic article titled A New, "Epic" Option for Solo Travelers.

Wishing you lots of 080402gudl_prv.gif finding the cruise you seek and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

I did it - booked on Carnival Liberty leaving this Saturday - got a balcony on the Lido deck away from the pools etc and 125% - so bye bye NCL - next trip was to be a second family anniversary one - thats 6 cabins/15 people so if this Carnival thing goes well, they will get the business.

Must admit a bit nervous - with NCL I know exactly what the drill is but just keep thinking about sitting in a rock pool being nibbled on by seacreatures - my definition of seafood!!

NCL Epic this year have launched studio rooms with a double bed and no single supplement. They have access to a living room area just for the ones in the studios.

I'd also recommend joining any rollcall for what you book and go to the met and greet and you'll meet lots of people

I haven't cruised single but have been away to a resort alone and was adopted! Actaully found it hard to get space to myself in the end but with a ship, there are lots of places to go on your own

Good luck

• 2 years later...
I did it - booked on Carnival Liberty leaving this Saturday - got a balcony on the Lido deck away from the pools etc and 125% - so bye bye NCL - next trip was to be a second family anniversary one - thats 6 cabins/15 people so if this Carnival thing goes well, they will get the business.

Must admit a bit nervous - with NCL I know exactly what the drill is but just keep thinking about sitting in a rock pool being nibbled on by seacreatures - my definition of seafood!!

Good luck with Carnival....you just lucked out.....Carnival has mostly always been 200%

If you have your heart set on a 14 day cruise, I would suggest taking two 7-day cruises back to back, as 14 day cruise passengers tend to be more mature.

You could chose a 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise, stay on the ship in the same cabin, and sail the second week to the Western Caribbean. This would give you a 14 night cruise with a great itinerary but a younger crowd.

Ginnie

Excellent Point Ginnie! Never thought of this. Thanks!

-Boomer

Hello.

I live in Spain and have recently lost my partner

I would like a cruise but I am single.

Can anyone make comments and suggestions., please.

Leopold Cook.

As a 79 year old man I do not look for adventure just

sights I have not seen.

The mid is 35 but the body takes over!!!!!!

Leopold.

I am married but cruise solo. I just pay the fare and try to hook up with folks via cruise critic to share excursions.

The last cruise I found others who stayed at same hotel and we shared water taxi to hotel and to the cruise.

I get a balcony because I like it..but if you do another type of cabin you can be out and about to find others.

I booked a solo cruise in Europe this summer and I have one in Australia for next fall. I was going to hook up with someone on a bead cruise (similar interest) only to find she said she needed to book insurance...and I asked why and she said she sometimes needs to be hospitalized for depression :eek:..

THEN I found out if she cancelled...even though the cruise line was paid for her..I was still liable for BOTH fares. I did NOT go through with that. I'd rather pay double if need be and not deal with a roomie. I'd also rather share a nice balcony with others who book an inside to get cheap sleeping accomodations.

I went to Europe as a teenager solo. I'm ok traveling solo. You can stay at places where you find fellow travelers.

Did a singles cruise (before I was married) where they matched me with a roomate.

It was great because they had a bunch of excursions...and MY roomie was traveling with a singles group.

I'd rather have a travel buddy but I like privacy.

Recently my travel buddy and I went to Mexico..BUT we got two bedroom accomodations...and agreed upfront we may do some things separately.

Some of the river cruises now have single rooms.

Some cruise lines charge less than double for singles.

So I am traveling to be traveling..I'm not looking for a date.

I am VERY upfront about being married. The last trip was fine..I hung out with a bunch of single and married women...as a tag along. I go out of my way to make sure the married folks are not uncomfortable having a solo around.

Hope this helps. More and more companies are catering to solo's and singles.

Linda

Nicky, Do a web search for HOSTED singles cruises. 2 companies regularly do them, usually one a month. You will find 2 age groups and from maybe 50-200 singles on mainstream ships. They even find you a cabinmate if you wish to save the singles supplement. Otherwise, you may cruise, even a large ship, with maybe 10 singles in your age bracket, most of them guys. A very small percentage of total cruise populace is unattached. Both of these companies do a fine job. We are not allowed to do names.

Archived