Sea sick injection in Australia

Swanvester

I've heard there is an Injection for sea sick, I'm going on a cruise in November and going through the Bass Strait, it can get pretty rough there, my question is, can you get this injection from your local GP before you go? Also what is the name of the injection/jab šŸ™‚

I've heard there is an Injection for sea sick, I'm going on a cruise in November and going through the Bass Strait, it can get pretty rough there, my question is, can you get this injection from your local GP before you go? Also what is the name of the injection/jab šŸ™‚

Welcome to Cruise Critic, Swanvester! :)

It's always wise to check with your health centre before you buy pills , just in case you have any problems/different meds which might clash... they'll have your details.

Ā 

If you get travel sickness on other transport, it doesn't mean that you'll get it on a cruise ship, as many people discover..

The injection/jab on the cruise line we most often use is Avomine, the same name as the pills which they sell at reception I believe that Kwells are sold in Australia, and there will be other branded tablets at your pharmacy- just ask.

Have a great cruise. :D

Check with your GP.

Ā 

We carry Stemetil, which in Australia is a prescription medicine, and find that it is excellent for seasickness. You can take it if you feel nauseous and it works very quickly - you don't need to take it ahead of time.

Ā 

Fingers crossed you'll have a smooth Bass Strait crossing. ;)

I too would ask your doctor about this.

Ā 

I have been on cruise ships where someone was so sea sick that they were given an injection at the medical center.

Ā 

But by then they were very sea sick.

Ā 

In our case we use Bonine and if the captain says the seas will be rough we take it pro-actively. We take one rather then two tablets every 24 hours if needed.

Ā 

There are many other options.

Ā 

Consult your doctor.

Ā 

Keith

As others have said the injection is a treatment once you are Sea sick, there are preventatives.

Ā 

Mrs Gut suffered badly our first few trips across Bass Strait, she now swears by Ginger (in pretty much any form) and green apples.

Ā 

We've crossed Bass many times now and while it CAN be rough it can also be incredibly smooth, our crossings have included some of our smoothest seas anywhere and some of the roughest (and we sailed into the tail end of Cyclone Monica). The big secret is start whatever you use early.