Walk me through this lost luggage scenario

Beachfrog

Let's say for example one of my checked bags does not make it to the airport prior to my cruise for any number of reasons. I have read that sometimes these lost bags mysteriously show up before sailing or at the next port. My question is--how is it known that I am on a cruise? I have not yet attached my cruise line luggage tags. Do I have to actually tell someone I am on a cruise with no luggage? Is it in a computer somewhere? I have also read that sometimes these bags are gone forever.:(

Thanks. #hopingthisneverhappens

when you do not see your bags after all the others on your flight have come off the belt you go to the Lost luggage desk in the baggage area

Fill in the paperwork so they will know how to contact you if/when it arrives

If it does not arrive when you board the ship contact the front desk & they will try to help you

Hope you did not just jinx your next trip ;)

2 things

When you are at baggage claim waiting for your luggage to retrieve it,,, you discover that the bag never made it you because everyone else has left and the baggage carousel stops moving.

You say "darn it" or something to that affect.

You then go to the office near baggage claim for your airline and stand in line to report your missing luggage. They ask lots of questions, you fill out the form and let them know where you will be staying or what the cruise itinerary is. Also, keep your baggage claim ticket

That's how they know where you'll be and when.

The smart traveler though has already printed out a detailed itinerary and placed a copy inside of each bag along with home address and contact phone numbers.

Some airlines even allow you to track your luggage through their app on your phone.

Let's say for example one of my checked bags does not make it to the airport prior to my cruise for any number of reasons. I have read that sometimes these lost bags mysteriously show up before sailing or at the next port. My question is--how is it known that I am on a cruise? I have not yet attached my cruise line luggage tags. Do I have to actually tell someone I am on a cruise with no luggage? Is it in a computer somewhere? I have also read that sometimes these bags are gone forever.:(

Note to self. Purchase case tracking device. Peace of mind.

Thanks for the replies! Gosh, I hope too I haven't jinxed anything! I wasn't sure if the airport folks would look inside the bag for any paperwork. We have lost a bag before when coming home from Cancun, but it arrived on the next flight. Just trying to be prepared for any issues and not loose my cool!

Use the advice suggested here and then work at getting your jiggy on. That's all you can do. :)

We had a direct flight from Minneapolis to Orlando for our family of four and two bags got lost. Still seems strange for a direct flight, but I'm sure there are a lot of moving parts. As mentioned we spoke with the lost luggage lady, 'very nicely' I might add. Unlike the lady in front of me. When we got on the ship we spoke to the pursers desk. Since we had travel insurance we were able to purchase what we needed and it was covered.

Our first day was a sea day and I believe the first stop was not a good option, so it was on the third day of our seven day cruise we received the other two bags. It all worked out.

This is why it is so important to not have 'person specific luggage'. Mix clothes up in different suitcases. We do it with our carry-ons as well.

Have been traveling now for 30+ years, only had luggage lost/delayed once, when we were on a cruise out of Rome. We had flown from SF to Paris on Air France and Italia from Paris to Rome. We went to lost luggage claim in Rome, they were able to track our luggage, found it was still in Paris, promised to get it on the evening flight and we picked it up the next morning before heading to the ship. We alway fly in at least one day early... just incase there is a problem. So we picked up our luggage the next morning before taking a taxi to the ship. We always put our itinerary info inside our luggage, in case, with contact information.

2 things

When you are at baggage claim waiting for your luggage to retrieve it,,, you discover that the bag never made it you because everyone else has left and the baggage carousel stops moving.

You say "darn it" or something to that affect.

You then go to the office near baggage claim for your airline and stand in line to report your missing luggage. They ask lots of questions, you fill out the form and let them know where you will be staying or what the cruise itinerary is. Also, keep your baggage claim ticket

That's how they know where you'll be and when.

The smart traveler though has already printed out a detailed itinerary and placed a copy inside of each bag along with home address and contact phone numbers.

Some airlines even allow you to track your luggage through their app on your phone.

No "smart" traveler would ever put their home address on/in any piece of luggage. Maybe a home town - but never a street address for all of the obvious reasons.

Yes to clearly visible tags on luggage exteriors and internal sheets of paper with multiple phone numbers (including international prefix -e.g., +1 or 001 for U.S.), emails and hometown (if it makes you feel better).

If you decide to put an itinerary inside the luggage (in plain view), make sure you add detailed time of arrivals/departures and contact info for all your travel providers.

BTW, if you see no bags when the carousel stops, there's always a chance that, if you arrived at your departure airport extra early, your bags may have been placed on an earlier flight for a variety of reasons. In that case, there should be a holding area. So hang on to your baggage claim.

In any case, always register for all mobile alerts associated with your flights so that you'll get notices about any changes (including your baggage). And, if you're a FF, keep that airline's lost luggage telephone number handy.

The tag the airline attached to your checked bag states where it's supposed to go. When it's found, it'll get routed there. They'll know you're on a cruise because you'll tell them when you go to lost luggage and fill out a form.

Yes, some bags are never returned. I suspect because they can't identify the owner. But, there are some steps you can take before you travel to increase the odds of getting your bag back. Print out an itinerary including your name, cell number, a phone number of someone back home (in case they can't get you), your ship, the name/address/phone number of any hotel you're staying at, etc, put it in a plastic sleeve, and put it in an unlocked outside pocket. Put another copy inside the bag. I also attach a couple luggage tags on the outside of the bag. Not a guarantee that you'll get the bag back in the event it goes missing, but it should increase the chances.

Thankfully, it's never happened to us.

I always put a full itinerary of flights, pre cruise hotel and telephone #'s in any outside pocket of all pieces of luggage I list ports and dates shi should l be there. i have seen luggage being delivered to ships we've been on so many times, it makes me hopeful someone does some times try to get the luggage to the owner. Any number of times, i've seen stewards b ring a suit case up a gangway in a port along the way.

I've arrived without my bag a few times. Twice it was on the next flight coming in. I waited an hour, my bag arrived, and I went on with a slight delay. Once, it took 3 days to arrive. I was shopping for clothes in Amsterdam (because my cruise started the next day) when my hotel called and told me my luggage had arrived.

If your bag does not arrive, you go to the luggage desk near the carousel. If that is not the correct spot, they will direct you to the proper desk. You will fill out a form describing your suitcase, any distinctive markings on that case, the hotel you are staying at, your travel itinerary, your cell phone #, and any other ways for the airline to get a hold of you.

If the stars align, your bag will get to you before you board the ship. If it doesn't work that way, the vast majority of port cities around the globe have clothing stores. Ask your hotel for suggestions, and buy some basics. Under garments, an extra shirt, socks... Stuff to go with the clothing you stashed in your carry-on. This is part of the reason it is suggested to arrive at the port at least a day early.

If your bag does not arrive, you have to go to luggage service at the airport prior to leaving the terminal. You will give them information, including the number on the bag tag, a description of the luggage, and other identifying information. You will also let them know where you are staying at your departure port. If you are sailing that same day you will give them the cruise itinerary so that they can try to get the bags to you.

If your bag misses your flight your best scenario is that the airline has multiple flights to your location from where you left, and it shows up on the next flight.

The airline will deliver it to your hotel or hold it for you if you wish to pick it up at the airport.

Many airlines, including American and Delta, allow you to track your own luggage so you usually know exactly where it is at all times. This has really cut down on the number of misdirected bags.

Having seen the results of lost luggage, my cruise partner and I always pack half our clothes in each other’s luggage. We watched one poor couple wear the same shirts and shorts for 7 days due to lost luggage. Hopefully, the airline won’t lose both our bags ! Oh, and we always get trip insurance, just in case !

Go ! Have a great time ! Stop stressing !

The one and only time I ever had a luggage issue was at the DFW airport, years ago. My bag never came out on the carousel, and I wasn't alone. There were maybe 5 others also missing bags.

Officials instructed us to go to the counter to fill out paperwork. As my ride was going to be late, I took the last place in line. Just as I was about done speaking with the agent and doing the paperwork, someone came out and said all our bags had been found, still in the cargo hold, behind some mail bags that hadn't had to be unloaded quickly.

So the lesson here is to stay at the desk as long as you can (within reason, of course) and maybe the lost bag will appear.

We are currently on a cruise and have tablemates that had to board without luggage. Not because the luggage did not arrive with them, but because they flew in to FLL the same day as the cruise, and the airport was having heavy thunderstorms, and they would not send crews out to unload luggage due to lightning. Quite a few planes has the same problem. They were told they could wait out the storm, or miss their ship (sailing from MIA). The made the ship, and their luggage caught up today in Key West. She had a change of clothing in her carryon he did not. But they did have toiletries and meds. EM

After learning the hard way, we always cross-pack, and I pack just enough in my carry-on that I could get by for a while if I had to. A second pair of shoes, a couple extra sets of underwear, smart trousers, and a top and jacket that will mix and match with my travel clothes.

What I have also learned the hard way is that the person at the desk or on the other end of the phone will lie to you. Lavishly and creatively. “Yes, Madam, don’t worry, we know where your bag is. We will deliver it to your hotel in about five hours.” That’s code for “We haven’t a clue where your bag is. But my shift ends in four and 1/2 hours, and by the time you ring back, I’ll be at home,”

In my experience, the airlines will call you when baggage arrive at airport. So you can change the delivery option depending on where you are/will be. Possibly I would call cruise line, and get a phone number which the airport could call. (ship company will know much better than you the real departure times, how to deliver baggage, where to bring in port, how long it takes from airport to port/next ports....)

BTW, if you see no bags when the carousel stops, there's always a chance that, if you arrived at your departure airport extra early, your bags may have been placed on an earlier flight for a variety of reasons. In that case, there should be a holding area. So hang on to your baggage claim.

This actually happened to us once. We saw our bag when we went over to the airlines luggage office.

I use luggage tags like these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073CCYZKR/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B073CCYZKR&linkCode=as2&tag=travsnipandmo-20&linkId=99129ded1eb3435fc0f9f045f2be0874

Outbound I have my trip itinerary on a piece of paper that I fold so the itinerary is not visible. On the outside I write our last name and contact phone number and "If lost, please deliver based on enclosed itinerary." (If I'm going to a non-English speaking country, I use Google translate.) Then, before boarding, I swap that out for the cruise line luggage tag.

On the way home, I swap that out for a slip of paper with our name on the outside, and inside our address plus cell phone number.

Thanks everyone for your help! We have flown many times with no issues except once to Cancun coming home. I don't think I would worry so much for everyday travel. But a cruise is different--shopping is not as easy. I would hate having to start all over after the agonizing I have over planning cruise outfits! I will definitely cross pack, place itineraries all over the place, make sure I have phone numbers, hope for the best, and have a celebratory drink when we arrive with everything intact!