Yays or nays for the Viking Homeland excursions

jiminyC_fan

I just went to the site. They have 2 cruises available that day. One at 10:00 and the other at 2:00. Since we arrive at 10:00 we would miss the 10:00 tour by minutes. We leave at 6:00 and the 2:00 tour will return at 5:00. Will that be a problem...Are they prompt in their return.

There were about 40 from the ship on that 2:00 cruise on the day we were there and it might be a 10 minute walk from the cruise to Viking dock.

I actually wrote to Rodne and feel comfortable with the 2:00 cruise. It will get us back by 5 and then it is a 10 minute walk to the ship. I feel comfortable that there will be others from the ship as well. I was led to believe by someone that it could be the same company that Viking uses but Rodne confirmed that it is not. Also, they recommended to buy the ticket off the website because they said the boat does fill up.

I actually wrote to Rodne and feel comfortable with the 2:00 cruise. It will get us back by 5 and then it is a 10 minute walk to the ship. I feel comfortable that there will be others from the ship as well. I was led to believe by someone that it could be the same company that Viking uses but Rodne confirmed that it is not. Also, they recommended to buy the ticket off the website because they said the boat does fill up.

thanks...sounds like a plan. Are you on the Viking June 3 cruise

We are on Sky leaving Stockholm on June 3, arriving at Bergen on June 17. This is work looking at various ports and excursions!!! We arrive 2 days prior to see Stockholm. Planning on getting the city pass there and at Copenhagen. Have you looked into the passes. One price gives access to almost all of the city's museums in addition to free bus, subway transportation. We've booked St Petersburg with Alla but there aren't enough people to do Berlin with Alla. We need a group of at least 10. Our last trip was a river cruise with Viking. We didn't have to do any of these bookings. City, castle tours, etc were included. Have a great trip! Enjoy!

I did buy the Stockholm Pass and travel card because we are starting there as well and staying for the pre cruise stay. I had them delivered here. I paid for Rodne and have the tickets here. Yes, it is much more homework with this than the River Cruise. We are using Alla Tours in Russia, also.

I am so jealous that you are on the Sky. On our Viking river cruise we met a lovely lady that was a waitress. For some reason we bonded with her and stay in touch to this day. She was going to be working our cruise but just recently got transferred to the Sky. She tried and so did we to get transferred but both ships were sold out. So bummed. If I have time I will check on CC when we are gone to see if you have any questions. Enjoy your trip.

Edited by jiminyC_fan

thanks...did you take a tour to Berlin....if so ...what tour company?

I did the included tour, though they do take you on an hour and a half bus tour, you do have time on your own. After this experience, here's my recommendation: Time is of the essence. If you have not been to Berlin before(that would be us) and don't speak or read German, get a guide of some sort. Either with Viking on one of the paid excursions they offer to Berlin or arranging for guide to meet yo after your arrival or the included bus tour. You arrive at one station and return from another and Viking can supply you with that information. Your action will depend on your intention. If you are going for lunch and stroll then included is OK. If seeing as much as you can is your objective, then alternative is better option.

Thanks for the info. Even though there were mixed reviews about traveling to Berlin we are going to do it. Booking with Viator. But I also have a question. Did you stonat Flan o Eldfjord. We stop at Eldfjord. I was looking at a Voringsfossen waterfall tour. Did you go there.

Thanks for the info. Even though there were mixed reviews about traveling to Berlin we are going to do it. Booking with Viator. But I also have a question. Did you stonat Flan o Eldfjord. We stop at Eldfjord. I was looking at a Voringsfossen waterfall tour. Did you go there.

No, we went Flam. There is an excursion at your port that takes you through the country side. I can't remember the name. It is not a destination excursion but more of a panorama insight. If you haven't been before, this would be my recommendation. The natural beauty of Norway is astounding and should not be missed. The view from the fjord is nice but you must go deeper to see all there is to offer.

• 2 months later...
If you are there early on embarkation day, take the funicular up Mt Flouen on your own,. Cheaper. The line is worth it. We really liked it, and the fresh air helped cure jet lag. Dress for cold!

How far a walk from Skolten Dock to Funicular? Hard to find?

Did you also go on the Ulriken 643 Cable car?

I was in Bergen last Saturday at the end of our cruise and had hoped to take the funicular BUT it was a glorious warm, sunny day and "everyone and his grandmother" from the town had the same idea. The line had a 2 hour wait at 10 AM.

But to answer your question, it is an easy walk from the ship.

Just took the funicular today. It is probably a 10-15 minute walk. Get there early. We did and thankful for it. Our wait time was like 10 minutes and the line when we got back down was CRAZY plus ship excursions have their own lines and get priority. We would never had stayed if we encountered those lines. Do your shopping afterwards. You will be tempted because you pass by the shops. Just don't stop.

• 9 months later...

We are looking at tours in Berlin. Historic Berlin states that you stop for photo ops at the famous sites which we definitely want to do. The Scenic Berlin by Coach and Cruise sounds appealing also but says that you "view" these landmarks. Does anyone know if this tour actually stops and lets you out of the bus for photo ops? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
We are looking at tours in Berlin. Historic Berlin states that you stop for photo ops at the famous sites which we definitely want to do. The Scenic Berlin by Coach and Cruise sounds appealing also but says that you "view" these landmarks. Does anyone know if this tour actually stops and lets you out of the bus for photo ops? Thanks.
Did not do this exclusion but did the the rip to Berlin that included a 1.5 hr bus tour with 2 stops where we exited the bus for short visit at East Side Gallery and Brandenberg Gate. This excursion has a tour before and after lunch cruise and I would assume the procedure to be about the same and of course viewing sites WS you cruise as well.

Sent from my HP 7 Plus using Forums mobile app

• 4 months later...
I enjoyed all of the excursions I went on in May. I was prepared for some that weren't so good, but I can't complain about anything. Here's what I did through Viking:

Helsinki-included tour. The guide was knowledgeable and we saw the highlights. After the tour, I went in the Uspenski Cathedral and the Helsinki Cathedral on my own as well as taking the ferry to Soumenlinna.

Tallinn-Optional Tour with Chocolate Factory. This was a last minute substitution due to our original tour being cancelled. I got the lay of the land making it easier to return in the afternoon. Had fun meeting others and making chocolate.

Gdansk-Optional Stutthof Camp tour-recommend, just know you won't see any of the city as the tour takes the whole port time (at least in the Stockholm-Bergen direction).

Germany-Optional to Lubeck and Wismar-recommend if you have been to Berlin and want to see another part of Germany.

Copenhagen-Optional Charming Coastal Copenhagen-loved this excursion. See thatched roof homes and live outside the city. Came back and took a cab to Tivoli. Took the evening jazz cruise as well. It was such a gorgeous day when we were there--everyone was outside along the canals eating and just enjoying the day.

Aalborg-Included tour. Informative guide but cold, rainy and windy weather.

Did a private tour with Insider Tours in St. Petersburg and walked around on our own in Stavanger and Bergen. I did purchase cruise tickets to Pulpit Rock ahead of time (Stavanger).

I hope you have a great trip!

Can you tell me more about the Stavanger cruise to Pulpit Rock? We are considering it but we are not sure if it's worth the $159 per person charge. Did you think it was worth it?

NOT worth it. Instead, walk 100 yards off the ship and pay less than half directly to the boat crew. You can reserve tix on line. Plenty of time on our Bergen to Stockholm cruise. Paid the Viking price which included a food stop (not worth it) and watched the other boats beat us back to the dock.

Nice cruise.

The cruise to Pulpit Rock is definitely worth it, but it is not necessary to take the Viking optional excursion. We used Rodne Cruises last August for less then half the price of the Viking excursion. You are no more then a 5 minute walk from the ship to where the Rodne boats are docked. We reserved our tickets on line ahead of time. There is the possibility of just walking up and purchasing tickets the same day, but you run the risk of them being sold out. You need to carefully check the times of the Rodne tours vs your time in port. At certain times of year when Rodne offers less tours per day, you may not be able to do this based on your time in port. There is another tour company that several previous Viking passengers have used as their tour times worked out better for them. I think the name of the company was Norled, but maybe another passenger who has used them can confirm the name.

The day we went to Pulpit Rock the weather was gloomy, but it did not affect the scenery at all. It was beautiful. You will not regret going.

The cruise to Pulpit Rock is definitely worth it, but it is not necessary to take the Viking optional excursion. We used Rodne Cruises last August for less then half the price of the Viking excursion. You are no more then a 5 minute walk from the ship to where the Rodne boats are docked. We reserved our tickets on line ahead of time. There is the possibility of just walking up and purchasing tickets the same day, but you run the risk of them being sold out. You need to carefully check the times of the Rodne tours vs your time in port. At certain times of year when Rodne offers less tours per day, you may not be able to do this based on your time in port. There is another tour company that several previous Viking passengers have used as their tour times worked out better for them. I think the name of the company was Norled, but maybe another passenger who has used them can confirm the name.

The day we went to Pulpit Rock the weather was gloomy, but it did not affect the scenery at all. It was beautiful. You will not regret going.

You are correct the name is Norled. We booked online in advance. Nice boat. Spacious and clean with tables if you want to have something. Clean restroom; water available. We made a stop to feed cute goats. Actually captain did and we were watching :) They had unusual coloring like someone painted them. Half brown half white with strait line between colors. It was weird but cute at the same time. We also stopped under the waterfall. Please keep in mind that there are no chairs on the open deck. It is literally 5 min to walk to the boat (the same place where the Rodne is). You will get the directions with your ticket. It was beautiful trip and time was perfect.

We did the same thing as planterx2. Booked with Rodne tours on line. Paid about $45 or so last year in July to do the same excursion as Viking did for $159. Viking stopped for waffles on an island--that was the only difference from Rodne and not worth $100 more in my opinion. Nice cruise thru the beautiful fjords.