Rome?????

muffinman1

Hi we are going on the island escape on 21st October, going to do the Rome trip, if I do the full day trip, is the Vatican and cystine chapple included in this trip, and what do we wear, we don't want to show up and not get in because we are not dressed right, further more I don't fancy paying £90 each and we don't even see it, anyone any ideas please

Thanks

Muffinman & Wife :confused:

Hi we are going on the island escape on 21st October, going to do the Rome trip, if I do the full day trip, is the Vatican and cystine chapple included in this trip, and what do we wear, we don't want to show up and not get in because we are not dressed right, further more I don't fancy paying £90 each and we don't even see it, anyone any ideas please

Thanks

Hi Muffinman,

Rome is the same as everywhere else in Italy - if you are visiting places of worship, shoulders and knees MUST be covered. I have noticed over the past couple of years though that they are not being very strict about this in a lot of places, but they are at the Vatican.

We did the trip to the Vatican, Rome in a Day I think, and set off on the coach early. We were glad we went on a trip the first time as we wanted to see the Vatican and Sistene Chapel. As we arrived we found the queue stretched all the way around the block but we were dropped off and went right to the front with the guide to be kitted out with earphones, etc., that saved us a good hour. The guide was very good which was helpful as it was absolutely heaving in the museums. After seeing the Sistene chapel we had some free time to look around on our own and go into St Peters then off to lunch in a restaurant. Very nice but embarrassed that we were the only ones to leave a tip, people seemed to be still in ship mode. We had a coach tour of Rome in the afternoon then headed back. This last time as we had already done the Vatican we went to the station to get the train in, there was a shuttle bus to a car park at the port as they are doing alterations. We didn't realise that there was a free shuttle bus to the station and set off walking, there are videos on YouTube that show how to do it. We got off at St Pietro (St Peters) as you waste a fair bit of time staying on through Rome to the Terminii. Then we got the HoHo bus and used that to get around, ending up at the Terminii about 2.45pm for the train back before the rush hour.:):)

Just had a look. You want the trip called Classical Sights and the Vatican City, expensive at £84 but includes entrance fees and lunch. It looks as so they do the Vatican in the afternoon.

Jan

Edited by ekco

Thanks

Have not done a Vatican tour since the Ocean Village days, but the Thomson tours look identical. Check the tour details on the Thomson site & make sure you book one that mention things about pre-booked tickets, the museums. & looking up at the Sistine Chapel ceiling.

As ekco said ships tours can lead you to the front of the queue. I remember we were rather embarrassingly led in front of a whole lot of nuns. :o

Have not done a Vatican tour since the Ocean Village days, but the Thomson tours look identical. Check the tour details on the Thomson site & make sure you book one that mention things about pre-booked tickets, the museums. & looking up at the Sistine Chapel ceiling.

As ekco said ships tours can lead you to the front of the queue. I remember we were rather embarrassingly led in front of a whole lot of nuns. :o

Lol, you just reminded me of when we got off the train at St Pietro. We couldn't see the Vatican from the street but espied a nun in full regalia with a suitcase. Sorted. We followed (stalked) this poor lady up and down, across traffic lights through the underpass and she led us straight to the Vatican.:D:D

Jan

Echo, bet you thought you was at the zoo, watching the penguin walk lol, sorry don't mean to offend anyone :o

Ooh! They'll never let you in now. Let's hope the weather holds out for you, I believe that November is the rainy month in Rome so you should be ok but there's so much to do that it doesn't matter and if you go on the Vatican trip there's not much chance of getting wet. The museums are amazing, not really like the usual museums though, more like galleries. The ceilings are fanastic but no photographs in the Sistene ,Chapel, there are guards to make sure you behave yourself, the no smiley people.:)

Are you going to Florence? We were tired after Rome, even though we prefer Florence as it's more intimate, and decided to stay in Livorno as quite a few people said it had a nice market. Wrong decision! miserable place (no offence) and the market was no better than our local one, a market is a market wherever. We got the shuttle bus back as soon as possible.

Jan

Hi Jan, looking at the weather forecast for the next few weeks, looks like there's a few cloudy days when we're away, but still warm, no rain thank god

Alex x

Hopefully you won't get rough seas but if you do and don't get sick you can go and watch the dancers swaying about in the show, poor things.:D

Jan

It's ok I will be rough all week :D

Alex

Oh! the perils of alcohol.;) When we were on the IE in April we came across a late middle aged woman crawling around on her hands and knees outside the Beachcomber near the stairs. We thought she had lost her contact lense but no, she was three sheets to the wind at six o'clock in the evening.:D:D

Jan

Ekco I've never been that bad by 6 , maybe by 7 lol,

Alex

Better pack the painkillers;). Seriously though, it's an early start for Rome so it's best to slacken off the AI the night before. We were early to bed the night before and up at 7.00am. Have you packed your knotted handkerchief yet? Or showercap for if it rains.:eek:

Jan

It's not going to rain ekco, it's going to be nice and sunny all the time where on board, and I've been taken co-codamel for 10years now, but got loads of alka-seltzer as back up, plus there's always the hair of the dog

Alex

Edited by muffinman1

It's not going to rain ekco, it's going to be nice and sunny all the time where on board, and I've been taken co-codamel for 10years now, but got loads of alka-seltzer as back up, plus there's always the hair of the dog

Alex

Are you serious? You've been taking co-codamel for 10 years?:eek: You should only take them for a few days.

Jan

Yes I've been on them for about that time, it's for my back pain, I can take about 4-6 at a time at bed time some nights just to get a decent nights sleep, been to physio, tried yoga( don't tell anyone lol) , but the Docs don't really care, when I go see them and tell them about my co-codomal. They say it's ok, just keep taking them :confused: ,

Alex x

Yes I've been on them for about that time, it's for my back pain, I can take about 4-6 at a time at bed time some nights just to get a decent nights sleep, been to physio, tried yoga( don't tell anyone lol) , but the Docs don't really care, when I go see them and tell them about my co-codomal. They say it's ok, just keep taking them :confused: ,

Alex x

New mattress? I've got a new firm mattress from JL and I'm feeling the benefit after a few weeks. Co-codamol is addictive but you can't stop taking them without supervision. The trouble with them is, and I've taken them for kidney stones, that the law of diminishing returns applies so you have to take less for a while and go onto other painkillers to get the same benefit.

Advice line is now closed.:D

Jan

Thank you DR Jan, but I've not long bought a new very firm mattress , it's because of the work I do, manual lifting,bending, etc, I,ll just have to live with it, maybe one day it will go away, but it's never put me off my holidays, where my other pain relief is used lol

Alex xx

Thank you DR Jan, but I've not long bought a new very firm mattress , it's because of the work I do, manual lifting,bending, etc, I,ll just have to live with it, maybe one day it will go away, but it's never put me off my holidays, where my other pain relief is used lol

Alex xx

Interesting fact. Orthopaedic mattresses are now no longer advised for people with bad backs. They are for, ah! hum! our larger friends to sleep on.:eek:

Jan