Question for Pacrimheather

Tara Jane

Hi Heather I would really appreciate your help in regard to the following Japanese ports as to whether free shuttles will be put on for our upcoming cruise but also if any of the stops will be tenders

Ishinomaki 28 july

Hakodate 29 July

Aomori 2nd and 7th August

Akita 6 August

Sakaiminato 9 August

Kochi 12 August

Tokushima 13 August

If free shuttles aren't provided is there a bus stop or is it easily walkable to town?

Thanks so much for your always helpful advice, We will be missing you on the Diamond.

Hi, good to hear from you again! That's a good way to catch my attention. :)

It is my understanding that instead of the local authorities providing free shuttles, Princess is now selling shuttle bus tickets onboard through the shore excursion office for $5-10. No tenders on this itinerary. I believe the shuttle bus drop-off points are essentially the same, but please reconfirm onboard.

Hi Heather I would really appreciate your help in regard to the following Japanese ports as to whether free shuttles will be put on for our upcoming cruise but also if any of the stops will be tenders

Ishinomaki 28 july

As you've probably discovered in your research, Ishinomaki was one of the places heavily destroyed by the 2011 tsunami. Although a small Japanese cruise ship called there in May, this is the very first time to receive a foreign cruise ship this size. The shuttle bus will drop you off at "Ishinomaki Genki Ichiba" which is a market/souvenir shop.  According to Google Maps that's a 25-30 minute drive from the port. From there to Ishinomaki station is about a 15-minute walk. Keep in mind that many of the port areas in the Tohoku region are much less densely populated, so public transport is scarce and infrequent. (I went everywhere by car when I visited.)

Hakodate 29 July

Typical drop-off point is Hakodate station which is very central. From Minatocho pier, it's about a 15-minute drive.

Aomori 2nd and 7th August

Typically, the shuttle drop-off point is ASPAM--just a 5-minute drive from where the Diamond docks. However, during the Nebuta Festival traffic is crazy, so the drop-off point could change. If you go our on your own, allow yourself PLENTY of time to get back to the ship as you are likely to get stuck in heavy traffic and may not be able to get a taxi, etc.

Akita 6 August

Typically, the shuttle drop-off point is the Castle Hotel which is about 20 minutes from the port. From there, it's a 10-15 minute walk to Akita Station. Again, be cautious about your return time due to the Kanto Festival.

Sakaiminato 9 August

Typically, the shuttle drop-off point is Yumeminato Tower which is about a 10-minute drive. From the Tower to Sakaiminato Station is a 10-minute taxi ride.

Kochi 12 August

I haven't explored Kochi from their new terminal, but according to my port handbook, it is a 30-minute drive from the port to Kochi Station. Of course, the Yosakoi Festival traffic will impact things.

Tokushima 13 August

Typically, it's a 30-minute drive from the pier to Tokushima Station. Again, the Awa Odori Festival traffic may affect routes and drop-off points.

If free shuttles aren't provided is there a bus stop or is it easily walkable to town?

Thanks so much for your always helpful advice, We will be missing you on the Diamond.

If you need more detailed assistance with anything, you can email me at heahopcle at gmail dot com.

Thank you Heather for your very detailed reply. It seems we will just have to take the shuttle. Never mind I got a good deal on the cruise.😁

Wish I could get this sort of info from princess!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Heather,

We are bringing first timers to Japan, they are older, capable of walking but a bit slower than the average person, and I am wondering about our free day in Yokohama on the b2b cruise.

We have been to Hida folk village in Takayama, Shirakawa-mura near Toyama, and Boso no Mura Open Air Museum Narita.

We are thinking of taking them to Nihon Minka-en or alternatively the much easier to get to Sankei-en gardens. Could you advise how Nihon Minka-en compares to the other villages we have visited and whether you feel it is worth the extra time involved in travel to go there and it would take the full day. The alternative is to take the tourist bus to Sankei-en gardes in the morning and then do a lap on each of the routes in the afternoon using a 500 yen day ticket.

Thanks for all your help.

Hi Heather,

We are bringing first timers to Japan, they are older, capable of walking but a bit slower than the average person, and I am wondering about our free day in Yokohama on the b2b cruise.

We have been to Hida folk village in Takayama, Shirakawa-mura near Toyama, Boso no Mura Open Air Museum Narita.

We are thinking of taking them to Nihon Minka-en or alternatively the much easier to get to Sankei-en gardens. Could you advise how Nihon Minka-en compares to the other villages we have visited and weather you feel it is worth the extra time involved in travel to go there. Alternative is to take the hop on hop off bus to Sankei-en gardes in the morning and then do a lap on each of the routes in the afternoon using a 500 yen day ticket.

Thanks for all your help.

I would stick with Sankei-en. Due to CIQ procedures and so forth, people tend to have less time on "turnaround" day as in transit passengers in Yokohama than they think they will. It's probably pushing it to go that far, and Sankei-en is quite nice. The other benefit is the gardens are relatively shaded. The walking surface is mostly flat but they use gravel. Make sure they pack/wear good walking shoes with rubber soles. If they get tired, you can take a break inside for a Japanese tea ceremony. I think I recall seeing a few wheelchairs available at the entrance either for free or nominal rental, if needed.

Thanks so much for your instant reply!!!!! Thats just the info I needed. I love Japan but need to be aware they are 15 years older and I don't want to wear them out.

I just led some "senior sensitivity training" on Friday to help the Japanese that serve non-Japanese cruise passengers better understand their challenges and limitations--esp. when it comes to mobility. I think it was very eye-opening for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Help needed again - I am hopeless on the computer and didn't know you did another live Q & A.

Could you please tell me where I can see it.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all in Japan. I see lovely Kurashiki has bern badly affected by the floods.

Just jumping in on this post to thank Heather and Tara Jane! You have both inspired us with your comments about amazing Japan. Having cruised Diamond Princess round Japan a few years ago , we jumped at the chance to join this cruise. Thanks Tara Jane for your 'heads-up' on 'El-Cheapo Cruise Critic'. VERY excited--now we can say we're going next week!! See you at the Qantas gate Tara Jane!!

Yes it has come too quickly. I haven't finished my research on ports yet. I'm sure we will be fine but I am very much an over planned.

Have you been allocated your cabin yet?

We are still waiting and still dreaming of the penthouse.

😉

Then you are well ahead of me. Ive been putting things in the suitcase as I think of them but no serious packing done yet. I try to go with as little as possible, being summer and with washing facilities on board we wont need a lot of clothes.

Its the paperwork and info I have printed out to read that will b the bulk of my hand luggage. If i dont get time to sort through prior at least it will give me something to do on the plane.

I planned to go get some yen today but never got there, always tomorrow, We plan to leave home about 5 am. Usually go and stay overnight near the airport but this time hubby is staying home to work so he will take us in. Hopefully not too busy at that time.