First time Viking River Cruise Questions

Cruiseoholic000

I could be wrong but power strips on ships are a no no.

We are actually going on a Scenic cruise, but am just reading about river cruises in general.

As far as adapters go, when we travel to Europe each year from Australia we take one adapter and a power board. Not sure if they have the same name in the US, but a board with four or five places to plug things in. This means that we use the one adapter but can charge two phones and two ipads.

Have a great trip.

without going into technical details about power distribution on ships as compared to in your house let me say that in general on a ship:

- if its primary purpose is to make heat it is generally a no-no: hair dryer, curling iron, coffee pot. The ones provided by the ship are know to be "ok" ….

- extension cords are generally a no-no simply because there are too many bad ones, frayed cords, etc. If you MUST have one you can often get thru guest services. They'll loan you a 'known OK'

- power strips ESPECIALLY ones with any form of a surge protector or circuit breaker built in are more than a no-no, they pose a genuine danger to you and everyone on the ship. Due to the difference in how the 'ground' or 'earth' is handled these can literally BLOW UP. I have personally experience this at sea. A crew member brought one from home to use in his shop and while his shop was empty it EXPLODED starting a fire, which is quite an unpleasant thing when on patrol in the Bering Sea 3 days from the nearest land . . . You MAY see these in use on the ship - there are ones that are OK for marine use and ship's electricians know how to check and test for safety. But do not just bring one from home …. bad idea.

We bring 1-2 MacBooks, 2 iPhones, and 1 camera battery charger. Not everything needs to be plugged in constantly, so basically we only need 1 adapter – as long as it is three-prong. [MacBook chargers have a three-prong plug, and while it isn't clear where the third prong goes on a ship – definitely not to 'ground'! – I prefer to maintain the deniability that I did all I could...] Thankfully Type F adapters work almost everywhere in Europe for this purpose and are widely available.

https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/

The Schuko (type F) plug adapters are two round pins and fit snugly in the recessed European outlet provided on most river cruise ships. Standard voltage is 220 unless otherwise posted.

Most newer phone, computer/tablet and camera chargers are dual voltage. Some of the newer “travel”type curling irons are also, but not all.

No surge protectors are allowed!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

without going into technical details about power distribution on ships as compared to in your house let me say that in general on a ship:

- if its primary purpose is to make heat it is generally a no-no: hair dryer, curling iron, coffee pot. The ones provided by the ship are know to be "ok" ….

- extension cords are generally a no-no simply because there are too many bad ones, frayed cords, etc. If you MUST have one you can often get thru guest services. They'll loan you a 'known OK'

- power strips ESPECIALLY ones with any form of a surge protector or circuit breaker built in are more than a no-no, they pose a genuine danger to you and everyone on the ship. Due to the difference in how the 'ground' or 'earth' is handled these can literally BLOW UP. I have personally experience this at sea. A crew member brought one from home to use in his shop and while his shop was empty it EXPLODED starting a fire, which is quite an unpleasant thing when on patrol in the Bering Sea 3 days from the nearest land . . . You MAY see these in use on the ship - there are ones that are OK for marine use and ship's electricians know how to check and test for safety. But do not just bring one from home …. bad idea.

I wish this could be a sticky at the top of this forum so that I can find it when I need it.

Of all the information that we share back and forth, I think that this is one of the most critical.

Wow, thanks for that. We haven't cruised before (well not since the 70's anyway lol). We always take a power board but that is for hotel rooms. I will definitely check with Scenic re them on their river boats.

I wish this could be a sticky at the top of this forum so that I can find it when I need it.

Of all the information that we share back and forth, I think that this is one of the most critical.

I second that a sticky on electricity would be most helpful. I think Capt_BJ has the right amount of detail (when I comment pretty soon I’m discussing the difference between single and three phase power, etc which is beyond the level of detail needed).

I think a BRIEF (not something I’m noted for) discussion of adapters (perhaps with the link given by Jazzbeau to the site detailing plugs of the World) and the difference between adapters and voltage converters (and that most electronics already have built in converters). A brief discussion that while the US standard for electricity delivered within a room is 117 volts most of the world is on 234 volts (higher voltage increases delivered power to resistance [heating] devices and can quickly lead to fire).

Jazzbeau and Capt_BJ:

Are you willing to work on this?

I plan to bring the 4-port USB thingy and am on vacation so will not be using a hairdryer :-) I have not traveled to Europe in over ten years and still trying to figure out the plug thing. I read Rick Steves article https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/phones-tech/electric-adapters-converters

So I think this would work https://www.amazon.com/PowerXology-International-Adapter-Universal-Converter/dp/B01BTJPAR8/ref=sr_1_2?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1528587126&sr=1-2&keywords=travel+adapter+universal I would plug in my 4-port USB thingy into it and it should work?

Question for Thom and/the Captain re power strips:

Does a multiple port USB wall charger count as a power strip? In other words, does it present the same electrical issues as does a power strip?

Does a multiple port USB wall charger count as a power strip? In other words, does it present the same electrical issues as does a power strip?
...- power strips ESPECIALLY ones with any form of a surge protector or circuit breaker built in are more than a no-no, they pose a genuine danger to you and everyone on the ship. Due to the difference in how the 'ground' or 'earth' is handled these can literally BLOW UP. ...
I do not claim to be an expert on ship electrical systems but looking at the RavPower 40w 4 port USB charger (which may be the one you are using) spec sheet:

Protected and Certified: 100% safe charging with overcharging, overheating and short circuit protection. CE / FCC / RoHS Certified”

the part about “short circuit protection” makes me think that there is a problem. Comments from people more knowledgeable than I are welcome.

I can make it a sticky, but somebody like BJ needs to provide the expertise. The last thing I want to be is authoritatively wrong :eek:

I do not claim to be an expert on ship electrical systems but looking at the RavPower 40w 4 port USB charger (which may be the one you are using) spec sheet:

Protected and Certified: 100% safe charging with overcharging, overheating and short circuit protection. CE / FCC / RoHS Certified”

the part about “short circuit protection” makes me think that there is a problem. Comments from people more knowledgeable than I are welcome.

Okay, I'll wait for the more knowledgeable. Thx.

Tried to read on computer wearing bifocals - forget it!

Roz

I am so glad several of you have mentioned this. I see it all over Cruise Critic, and I always am tempted to comment. However, I am a bit of a grammar sheriff, so I tend to bite my tongue as I know that is often not well received. But your point is so true, it's not just the grammar issue, it's a visual one. I most often just skip posts that are written without paragraphs, as the eye strain it causes to focus on so much print is literally a real pain.

I can make it a sticky, but somebody like BJ needs to provide the expertise. The last thing I want to be is authoritatively wrong :eek:

chengkp75 posts a lot on Royal Caribbean and other boards about electricity and other issues. There is a major Hong Kong based CPA firm K. P. Cheng so I figured some connection; WRONG: he is a maritime CHief ENGiner who is a grad of us maritime academy at Kings Point, presumably in ‘75. I trust him as much as anyone and way more than most on these issues. It would be great to get him involved if BJ is not willing. A knowledgeable authoritative sticky on ship electrical issues dos and don’ts would seem helpful on most Cruise Critic boards. Even regulation flouters probably would prefer to not have an explosion or fire in their cabin:eek:

I used it on a Hawaii cruise and never had a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

What about electric curlers. Have been on 2 dozen ocean cruises but this is our first European river cruise. Am well aware of no power surge protective devices. But are electric curlers ok? Or do I need to buy "special" ones?

Thanks

baf

First time on Viking. On Ocean cruises, we always request an extension cord and distilled water for my husband's CPAP machine. Does Viking provide that?

Also, are there ice machines on the ship? Hubby is addicted to iced coffee.

Contact Viking directly in advance of sailing to let them know of your special needs. 1-800-304-9616

No ice machines; just ring the front desk and ask for ice.

Are you sure? I could have sworn there was an ice machine on Tialfi last year, and there are plenty of online reviews of longships which mention them.

Contact Viking directly in advance of sailing to let them know of your special needs. 1-800-304-9616

We both use CPAP and emailed Viking at TellUs@VikingCruises.com. They emailed back from Viking Social <VRCsocial@vikingcruises.com> to confirm that they would provide distilled water.

My understanding from reviewing information about the ship is that there are electrical plugs on both sides of the bed, so an extension cord shouldn't be needed. I mentioned that in my email to them, and Viking did not contradict that.

We both use CPAP and emailed Viking at TellUs@VikingCruises.com. They emailed back from Viking Social <VRCsocial@vikingcruises.com> to confirm that they would provide distilled water.

My understanding from reviewing information about the ship is that there are electrical plugs on both sides of the bed, so an extension cord shouldn't be needed. I mentioned that in my email to them, and Viking did not contradict that.

We just returned from Viking's Grand European Tour and my DH uses a CPAP machine. We forgot to ask in advance for distilled water however our cabin stewart noticed immediately and brought a large bottle. As for ice machines, there is one at the far end of each corridor. An ice bucket will be on the table in your cabin. Happy cruising.

What about electric curlers. Have been on 2 dozen ocean cruises but this is our first European river cruise. Am well aware of no power surge protective devices. But are electric curlers ok? Or do I need to buy "special" ones?

From the FAQ (which everyone should read before asking about things like curlers): "Please note that heat-producing appliances, such as irons, steamers, curling irons and heaters, are potential safety hazards and therefore not permitted on board."

So much for my memory. Sorry for the misinformation.

They're easy enough to miss: they're similar to domestic freezers' ice dispensers, set in the wall, so not obvious from any distance. The one on Upper Deck was quite a long way aft so anyone in low numbered cabins probably never even walked past it.