What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

How do we reach them. I called the regular number and was told customers can't talk to them. Just call back and get a different agent? I know with some companies it just depends on if you talk to a nice person who wants to help or just is a "phone operator" to lazy to help you.

Yes, there is still an “upsell department” but they no longer actually handle upsells. They’re there to answer questions about the bidding process and that’s it. You can no longer call and get an offer for a cheaper price through the upsell department.

Hi All..

I do have a current inside cabin for Norwegian Getaway on July 8th. The prices have been dropping a lot. I bid for a balcony upgrade for a total of 230$. I have called NCL today and they told me it would cost me 350$ for a direct upgrade. Should I wait for the bidding or should I pay directly for it. Anyone cruising July 8th and received an answer for their bidding?

If the balcony they are offering for $350 is a guarantee, you will get no "free" perks. If it's a pick you cabin deal then I would spend the $350 and get your balcony now.

How do we reach them. I called the regular number and was told customers can't talk to them. Just call back and get a different agent? I know with some companies it just depends on if you talk to a nice person who wants to help or just is a "phone operator" to lazy to help you.

The bidding process is handled by an outside contractor, not by NCL employees. It is pretty much an automated process...which is why there is no number to call and nobody to talk to.

If the balcony they are offering for $350 is a guarantee, you will get no "free" perks. If it's a pick you cabin deal then I would spend the $350 and get your balcony now.

That isn't entirely accurate. It is only the sail-away rate that comes with no free perks. If you get a guarantee, you still get the free perks. (Remember: All sail-aways are guarantees, but not all guarantees are sail-aways). Also...if you have free perks now, you retain those perks with a successful upgrade advantage bid.

We are on the POA on Sept 1, 79 days away. Didn't receive an email and no messages in myncl. Does that mean the agency I booked through doesn't participate or could I still get the opportunity to bid. I've been following this post and was looking forward to doing it

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

I am on POA Sept 1 also; in an obstructed oceanview suite and got the email to bid last week. All categories above mine were available in the e-mail even though some show as sold out. I would be happy with any of them as all have a balcony, but I would really like a hot tub on my balcony. Will be happy in my oceanview if my any of my bids (low to medium) are not accepted. I booked through NCL when on a cruise last fall.

I have the opportunity to bid on two upgrades, the 2 br cy penthouse or rhe DOS. I really want the DOS and will bid accordingly, even though it's showing sold out on the website. I figure that there must be a chance or I wouldn't be invited to bid!

If I don't get it I'd like the 2 BR, but I don't want a bid on the 2 BR (which will be the minimum bid) to get in the way of my DOS bid - for example if they really need to unload the 2 BRs, would they take my 2 BR bid and give someone else with a slightly lower bid the DOS?

I'm fine with what I have (regular CY penthouse) but of course would be delighted with a 2 BR--but not at the expense of the DOS,

Any experience with competing against yourself?

Which ship? If BA/GA I wouldn't pay too much for the DOS. If they are saying sold out then they are sold out unless someone cancels.

Google “Norwegian upsell department”.

As someone else recently posted, the upsell process itself is handled by a third party company. The Norwegian upsell department is only there to answer questions about the process. They will not make you an offer, give you suggestions on how much to bid, tell you the odds of your bid getting accepted, etc.

Which ship? If BA/GA I wouldn't pay too much for the DOS. If they are saying sold out then they are sold out unless someone cancels.

Bliss for Alaska cruise 9/1/2018. I don't understand why they'd even offer the opportunity to bid for DOS if it's sold out. Makes zero sense to me. Why bother?

Bliss for Alaska cruise 9/1/2018. I don't understand why they'd even offer the opportunity to bid for DOS if it's sold out. Makes zero sense to me. Why bother?

Because it is a third party system used for the bidding and they probably don't pass availability along to that third party until bids are processed close to the sail date. In the mean time, the DOS could free up if someone cancels their reservation, so it's better to accept the bids in case that happens. It doesn't *hurt* them to accept bids in all categories, even those that are sold out. But it *could* hurt them to not accept bids and then sail with those staterooms empty because of cancellations.

This far out, it's all about collecting data. If the stateroom on this ship is sold out, it's still good to collect info. which might be useful in the overall scheme of things.

Also, there are times when pax do cancel. I had to cancel a cruise in Apr. 2017 and we were in an aft balcony, so that balcony went from booked to available and someone's bid won it. Zero sense, sure in most cases but there's always a chance.... good luck to those who choose to play the game.

We were originally booked in The Haven 2-Bedroom Villa with Balcony and received upgrade offers for the Owners Suites and the Garden Villas. We put in the minimum bid to upgrade of $1000 for each adult in the room (so a total bid of $2000), and did not get it, but someone did because all the suites were full.

So I assume that they are also offering upgrades to get into The Haven suites so everyone moves up a level when a successful bid is made.

I go on epic on Sunday and my bid from inside to balcony and mini suite is still pending. Wish they would hurry up and let me know either way lol.
Interesting that you bid up to an "M" category from an "I"..... I thought it was only a 2 category bid upgrade which would've been to a max of a "B"

Good luck and Happy Cruising

Interesting that you bid up to an "M" category from an "I"..... I thought it was only a 2 category bid upgrade which would've been to a max of a "B"

Good luck and Happy Cruising

There are no ocean view staterooms on Epic, so the two categories higher than inside are balcony & minisuite.

Will they allow you to pick the room? That alone may be worth the extra $120. The thing I would factor into that though is they allow you 2 free perks with a balcony, If you like drinks,even sodas, the Unlimited Beverage package for 2 is well worth the extra $120 all by itself. ALso the specialty dining package for 2 makes it a value. Even the 250 minutes free wifi is worth $125 so, me I would do it.

They offered the 350$ without the perks. With the perks it is 850$.

Thanks for the info. Indeed it doesn't include the perks. but I haven't asked if I am able to pick up the room. I will call and ask.

Booked into a guarantee mini suite (MX) and there is lots of Haven availability (including 7 spa suites H9), so it is reasonable to think that since I potentially could be placed in H9 anyway, that even a reasonable upgrade bid would be quite likely to get us (party of 2) into H9?

This is my first time with NCL, so this bidding system is a bit unsettling.

Thank you for your help.

I'm a bit hesitant to book the Haven suite outright, as I haven't sailed with NCL before - so I don't really know if I will like it/NCL enough to spend with them at that level.

However, in researching now it seems that many staterooms on Getaway do not have bathtubs in the bathrooms! I'm shocked at the idea of the mini suite not having a simple plain bathtub included in the bathroom. Currently investigating what category I need to book in order to have a bathtub which has always been standard to my understanding.