Dealing with Missed Flight (Booked by HAL)

grsnovi

We have (what I think is) a close connection out of Schiphol following our return on the K'dam on 1 JULY. We are supposed to be able to disembark at 7 am with a flight booked for noon. I realize that in ideal circumstances we could make this flight however I also know that Murphy's Law suggests that I have a back-up plan. Granted there are a few flights later in the afternoon (that would likely all be full) what is my recourse in the event that we don't catch our scheduled flight? Given the day/time it is unlikely that our TA (on the USA west coast) would be able to intervene. Is there a local to Amsterdam HAL rep that would be able to re-arrange our return? Has anyone run into this sort of thing? I know that 40 years ago you could just go to the counter of another airline and they'd help but that isn't how it works these days. I've already had replies that say: "Don't worry, you'll make it..." and I really hope we do. Should we disembark as usual? Put our stuff out the night before? We have booked the HAL transfer to the airport. As I said, if everything goes as per plan (and we transit the locks back into Amsterdam on time with no delays) it could work... Just looking for comments from those of you who have had a similar concern and how it worked for you IF YOU MISSED YOUR FLIGHT. Thanks!

Amsterdam airport can be a nightmare. I would use luggage direct so you don’t have to worry about lines to tag your luggage. I also would not use HAL transfer...they don’t always leave on a timely manner. They leave when the bus is full. If you use luggage direct, self debarkation and take a taxi to the airport, you will certainly have time. Security lines are horribly long and slow. There is no TSA precheck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree, cancel the HAL bus transfer and take a taxi. That way you are not waiting for the last person to fill the bus.

But as far as missing your return flight, I haven't heard much about HAL's responsibility.

HAL makes a big deal about their Flight Ease program, with a guarantee that if your flight is late on embarkation day, they will hold the ship for you, and if not, they will get you to the next port and cover meals and hotels. But they don't speak at all about the end of the cruise. Some people have to be back to work the next day, some have pets to pickup, etc. What IS HAL's responsibility if you miss your return flight, through no fault of your own ? Do they rebook you on the next available flight on any airline, or do you have to wait until the next day? Do they cover your meals and hotel ? HAL should publish a policy for both ends of a cruise.

I agree with the other posters. Take a cab. It's not that pricey to get to the airport and probably cheaper for a couple than booking HAL's transfer.

We used flight ease last cruise (and flew out of Schipol). Flight Ease had a 24 hour number that they wanted to you to call if anything went wrong, flight missed, delayed, whatever. Sorry, didn't keep the documents now that we are back. I think it was with the initial flight confirmation and information we got or in my express docs.

Flight Ease had a 24 hour number that they wanted to you to call if anything went wrong, flight missed, delayed, whatever.

This. The cruise line flight bookers have leverage that individuals don't.

Roz

I actually spoke to a HAL phone supervisor not long ago regarding our flight home booked with Flight Ease. HAL is responsible getting you home ONLY if you miss your flight due to a change in the cruise itinerary or arrival time. If you miss your flight for something not in their control (traffic, etc.) they have no responsibility. You are on your own to get home at your expense. They will try to help you find an airline that has available flights/seats. The will not pay for a hotel or meals. Getting to the ship on embarkation day is different and they will do their best to get you onboard ASAP, as long as your flights were booked with Flight Ease.

I would not do the HAL transfer, as others have suggested. Get off first thing and get a cab. The airport in Amsterdam is a zoo! Getting through security alone can take an hour or more. Another hike to get to your gate. This one of my least favourite airports in the world!

Be aware that Koningsdam on July 1 will NOT dock at the regular cruise terminal but in the western section of town at Elbahaven. This location is in a commercial area, but I am sure cabs will be there. Or else you can use Uber. Anyway this location is a bit closer to the airport, driving time will be at the most 20 minutes or less. Be at the airport at the latest 3 hours prior of you flight. Earlier of course is always better. After passportcontrol and security there is a large shopping area and restaurants, so you will b bored. Some airlines like Delta have an extra security and only after passing that you will know which gate the plane will be.

So if your flight leaves at noon. donot worry you will be fine! Have a great cruise.

We used both FlighEase and Seattle Port Valet on our last cruise. Luggage picked up at the cabin door the night before and we never saw it again until we got home.

Seattle incoming flight was late , so the plane missed its departure window so we departed Seattle late and missed our connection in SFO, but United already had us rescheduled on a later flight. Wind also prevented full use of all runways at SFO causing more back-up and delays.

Ultimately we got home only a few hours after our expected arrival, but missing one suitcase which was delivered the next day. Good thing this was coming home so the delayed suitcase was of no consequence. We loved Seattle Port Valet however, regardless of the less than perfect outcome - no baggage handling whatsoever once we closed that cabin door the night before- yippee! It was also a comfort knowing FlightEase offered its own level of guarantees.

This is a good question, you may want to talk to your TA or call HAL at 1-877-932-4259. In the literature it says:

"If your flight is delayed or canceled, we’ll get you to your cruise; if you miss the return flight due to a change in your cruise, we’ll get you home." (As someone else mentioned above.)

Please be aware that going through Schiphol is time-consuming. There are long lines for security. We were there recently and this time we had to go through several security/passport checks after going through the main security.

We have done both independent and HAL transportation to and from the airport. With HAL transportation you do have to wait until the bus is full.

Also even if you are first off the boat, you might not be off exactly at 7:00 am (not sure when you dock and when the passengers are released.) With expedited disembarkation, we are usually off by 7:30 am.

If you find an answer to your question from HAL, I hope you post it.

Have a great cruise.

I actually spoke to a HAL phone supervisor not long ago regarding our flight home booked with Flight Ease. HAL is responsible getting you home ONLY if you miss your flight due to a change in the cruise itinerary or arrival time. If you miss your flight for something not in their control (traffic, etc.) they have no responsibility. You are on your own to get home at your expense. They will try to help you find an airline that has available flights/seats. The will not pay for a hotel or meals. Getting to the ship on embarkation day is different and they will do their best to get you onboard ASAP, as long as your flights were booked with Flight Ease.

I would not do the HAL transfer, as others have suggested. Get off first thing and get a cab. The airport in Amsterdam is a zoo! Getting through security alone can take an hour or more. Another hike to get to your gate. This one of my least favourite airports in the world!

My take on this is if you go to the airport on your own and miss the flight that is beyond HAL's control and they have no responsibility. If you are using their transfer and they do not get you to the airport on time that is within their control and they need to help you.

Roy

My take on this is if you go to the airport on your own and miss the flight that is beyond HAL's control and they have no responsibility. If you are using their transfer and they do not get you to the airport on time that is within their control and they need to help you.

Roy

Sorry, but HAL cannot control traffic, etc and the transfer buses to the airport come with no guarantee, other than to get you there. HAL will not accept any responsibility getting you to the airport on time. They will HELP you find an airline with available seats but will not pay for hotels or anything of a personal nature if your flight leaves the next day. I went over all of this with HAL in great detail and they made sure I understood what they are and what they are not responsible for.

Roy

I agree with Roy. When booking flights through cruise lines, airport transfers are generally included. I question the advice from posters who say to get to the airport on your own. I've booked cruise line air more than once, and they never failed to get us to the airport in time.

Roz

Sorry, but HAL cannot control traffic, etc and the transfer buses to the airport come with no guarantee, other than to get you there. HAL will not accept any responsibility getting you to the airport on time. They will HELP you find an airline with available seats but will not pay for hotels or anything of a personal nature if your flight leaves the next day. I went over all of this with HAL in great detail and they made sure I understood what they are and what they are not responsible for.

That's where travel insurance kicks in, for any added expenses due to flight delays or cancellations. It's in HAL or any lines best interest to get you there in time, barring conditions not under their control. If a HAL bus can't make it through traffic, then chances are a taxi, city bus, or private shuttle won't either.

Roz

I agree with the other posters. Take a cab. It's not that pricey to get to the airport and probably cheaper for a couple than booking HAL's transfer.

We used flight ease last cruise (and flew out of Schipol). Flight Ease had a 24 hour number that they wanted to you to call if anything went wrong, flight missed, delayed, whatever. Sorry, didn't keep the documents now that we are back. I think it was with the initial flight confirmation and information we got or in my express docs.

I had a problem after deplaning at Schipol and missing my HAL transfer. When I called each of the numbers listed on my documents, I was informed that those numbers were no longer in service. Make sure you have current contact numbers as HAL frequently does not update documents to reflect current info.

Yes, thisI agree

We've gone through that airport sometimes when it was very slow. Get there on your own. Don't do the HAL bus Could e a nightmare

Thanks all... (I think) Half say get to the airport myself - the other half say use the transfer I booked with HAL. HAL told me "no problem, you'll be at the airport in time" (easy for someone in Seattle to say who has never traveled). My TA says "no problem, you'll be there..." I've flown through Schiphol (but it's been a while). I'm not familiar with "FlightEase" is that what I have already purchased through my TA/HAL? How do I get contact numbers? I'm not worried about getting to the hotel (we arrive on Friday and the cruise leaves on Sunday) but I would have never booked a flight at noon of the day we got off the ship. Before anyone says "well why did you..." I booked the cruise and never got the rest of the info until afterwards and when I started questioning the times all I got was: It'll be OK.

Here is how I would do it...........

As there is no 'Luggage Direct' service in Amsterdam, I would ensure that I made sure that I had 'Expedited Debarkation' which is the first group off the ship.

Most important is to keep your luggage in your cabin and do not put it out on the last night. You will have to take your luggage off the ship yourself.

Get a taxi to the airport - it will not be too expensive.

Know your airline - so the taxi driver can drop you to the correct terminal.

When checked in, make your way directly to the central security area. It can be slow but it does move ok.

When you exit the Security area and you are in the 'shopping area' check how far away your gate is located and how much time you have remaining before you decide to hit the shops!

Personally, I would be comfortable with a 12 noon flight.

Verify that all the contact numbers that you receive are active numbers.

We flew out of Amsterdam last June on a noon flight. We left our hotel at 9:00 am and while traffic was nuts, we arrived around 10:00 am and had no problem at the airport. Even had time to do some shopping before our flight left.

As you are concerned, I would suggest that you arrange for self disemarkation and take your luggage with you. I personally don't think that you will have a problem with HAL transfer, but if it eases your mind, cancel HAL transfer and take a cab.

Best of luck.

This is good info. Thanks

Does this apply to embarkation? With FlightEase: if you miss boarding the ship and, say, the first port is 2 days off, who pays for the flight, the hotel, meals in the meantime?

This is good info. Thanks

Does this apply to embarkation? With FlightEase: if you miss boarding the ship and, say, the first port is 2 days off, who pays for the flight, the hotel, meals in the meantime?

HAL's responsibility is to get you to the next port. HAL will not pay for hotels or meals. This is coming from a HAL supervisor that I spoke to, so who knows if it's entirely accurate. You may speak to a different rep with a different story.

HAL's responsibility is to get you to the next port. HAL will not pay for hotels or meals. This is coming from a HAL supervisor that I spoke to, so who knows if it's entirely accurate. You may speak to a different rep with a different story.

Thanks.

I wonder if anyone ever gets a written outline/contract with FlightEase. I know I never have, but it is occurring to me now that there should be something in writing about how it all works. You do get a Cruise Contract with your cruise booking, so why not the same for FlightEase? Sheeesh!

I would stick with the HAL transfer. There is little delay for transfers when leaving the ship, since everyone is off at the same time. Arrival transfers can involve a lot of waiting since people arrive at different times. If you use the HAL transfer and the HAL flight, that leaves HAL less wiggle room if something goes wrong. If you take a cab and get delayed - HAL will blame you for everything.

We were on a ship having engine problems so it could not go as fast and ended up being about 3-4 hours late into port on disembarkation day. HAL gave everyone internet access so we could make arrangements for our flights and said they would cover all fees associated with flight changes. I don’t know if that meant hotels/meals if we had to stay overnight. We missed our flight and our airline rebooked us for free onto a later flight so there were no charges to request reimbursement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

I wonder if anyone ever gets a written outline/contract with FlightEase. I know I never have, but it is occurring to me now that there should be something in writing about how it all works. You do get a Cruise Contract with your cruise booking, so why not the same for FlightEase? Sheeesh!

It's IN the cruise contract, and, to summarize, their only responsibility is to refund the air cost under certain circumstances:

https://hollandamerica.com/en_US/legal-privacy/cruise-contract.html

Here:

D. Liability and Relationship With Airlines: We will use our best efforts to arrange for Your air transportation. If, however, due to any cause beyond our control, we are unable to arrange for air transportation (including, for example, because of capacity controls placed upon us by airlines due to the types of fares under which we book) or the air transportation we arrange is unavailable or otherwise fails to materialize, our sole liability will be limited to refunding the air add-on paid or cruise only credit. Our relationship with airlines is that of an independent travel agent. We assume no liability for any acts or omissions of any airline including, without limitation, those involving cancellation of flights, schedule changes, re-routings, damage to or delay or loss of baggage, flight delays, equipment failures, accidents, pilot or other staff shortages, overbooking or computer errors. Accordingly, You will not have any right to claim or recover against us as a consequence of any act or omission of any airline. The liabilities and obligations of an airline to You, and Your rights against an airline, are subject to any and all terms and conditions of the airline's ticket and tariffs and any and all governmental laws and regulations bearing upon or otherwise relating to such rights, liabilities and obligations.