Best Key Lime Pie?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:51 AM.
Michigan
1,036 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
After reading through this thread, I am now officially planning on eating my body weight in Key Lime Pie next week.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Ecstasy 2015 Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Equinox 2014 Classic Mediterranean
NCL Pearl 2012 Western Caribbean
Celebrity Summit 2011 Southern Caribbean
Premier (The Big Red Boat) 1986 Bahamas[SIGPIC

Atlanta/Key West
10,043 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by irishayes
After reading through this thread, I am now officially planning on eating my body weight in Key Lime Pie next week.
Just be sure to have the chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick as your final tasting, else you might not try the others.

Mike
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess Elite Member
EMAIL
New York City
336 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
Hey everyone!

I'm going to be in Key West on Sunday, March 29 from 8:00AM to 5:00PM. One of my requirements for the trip is of course key lime pie. I've been perusing the forums here as well as looking around online. I am pretty sure I'd like to go to able Heaven, but I'm concerned about how long the wait could be. If there's available space at the bar, would we be able to just get a slice there with a shorter wait? Or are there any other key lime places that put meringue on their pies that could be an option as well? Thank you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
PAST CRUISES
- 1 - (October 2016) - Norwegian EPIC (Western Bound Transatlantic - second solo cruise)
- a - Ports of Call: Barcelona, Spain / Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spanish Canary Islands / San Juan, Puerto Rico
- 2 - (March 2015) - Celebrity Constellation

- a - Ports of Call: Nassau, Bahamas / Key West, Florida
- 3 - (March 2013) - Norwegian EPIC (first solo cruise)
(review: Norwegian EPIC)
- a - Ports of Call: St. Maarten / St. Thomas / Nassau, Bahamas
- 4 - (Summer 1999) - Majesty of the Seas -
- a - Ports of Call: Labadee, Haiti / Ocho Rios, Jamaica / Grand Cayman Islands / Cozumel, Mexico
- 5 - (Oct 1997) - The Big Red Boat - SS Oceanic -
- a - Ports of Call: Nassau, Bahamas / Port Lucaya, Bahamas

2013 Asian Adventure: Norwegian EPIC Caribbean / NYC / Tokyo, Japan / Singapore / Pulau Tioman, Malaysia

2016 European Adventure: Oslo, Norway / Berlin, Germany / Barcelona, Spain / Norwegian EPIC Transatlantic
Atlanta/Key West
10,043 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by zactak
Hey everyone!

I'm going to be in Key West on Sunday, March 29 from 8:00AM to 5:00PM. One of my requirements for the trip is of course key lime pie. I've been perusing the forums here as well as looking around online. I am pretty sure I'd like to go to able Heaven, but I'm concerned about how long the wait could be. If there's available space at the bar, would we be able to just get a slice there with a shorter wait? Or are there any other key lime places that put meringue on their pies that could be an option as well? Thank you.
There will be a wait on Sunday since you won't be able to be at Blue Heaven when they open at 0800. If you wait until around 1000 or so then you should be able to be seated right away; but it will fill up again near 1100 for lunch. I have never seen anyone eat at the bar but that is not to say that it can't be done. We are having breakfast there on Saturday after you so sorry I can't check before then.

Mike
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess Elite Member
EMAIL
Ocala, Florida
121 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Grew up there. La Dichosa is a great bakery. I haven't lived there in decades, but my friends that still live there recommend Blue Heaven if you're just looking for a piece of authentic Key Lime pie.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Empress-12/14/17
Ocala, Florida
121 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Originally posted by sperkins921
THAT is my idea of key lime pie. Looks just like when I make it at home. I know purists will say it should have whipped cream instead of meringue, but I LOVE meringue.

Where is Blue Heaven? Or rather, how do I get there from the port?
Actually, a true KLP purist insists on a baked custard style with meringue. As a salt water conch, I never had no bake cheesecake style with whipped cream until I grew up and moved away.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Empress-12/14/17
Central Florida
2,393 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Clearly the best lime pie on a stick is chocolate covered and available at Kermits (two locations in Key West).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The Netherlands
1,784 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by bhopal21
There will be a wait on Sunday since you won't be able to be at Blue Heaven when they open at 0800. If you wait until around 1000 or so then you should be able to be seated right away; but it will fill up again near 1100 for lunch. I have never seen anyone eat at the bar but that is not to say that it can't be done. We are having breakfast there on Saturday after you so sorry I can't check before then.

Mike

Realise this post is a couple of years ago, but to update I was able to get a slice of key lime pie at the bar on a Sunday lunchtime. It was very, very busy. Think we may have had to wait up to an hour to get a table.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
3 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
Originally posted by Silvery Seas Cruiser
The Island Fish Company and Tiki Hut just north of Key Colony Beach, Marathon has a Key Lime pie concoction quite different from any I've tried. It is a deep fried key lime pie that is wrapped in a cinnamon sugar -sprinkled tortilla crust, then fried. I don't recommend this for dieters or those suffering from high cholesterol.

By the way the above is a fun restaurant and bar on the water (Gulf side) with a large menu that included a wide variety of food, not just the usual Florida Keys fish and sea food items.
The name of this place is Porky's and it has the best frozen then fried key lime (even better than my home made one!). The place is an open air bar/restaurant with a docking spot at the back. The chef is the owner (along with her husband) and is from Germany. If you go by Marathon, stop in, you won't be disappointed.